English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 February 2011, 13:04   #81
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
There's plenty of OCS/ECS games running with between 90-150 colours.
Plenty? I'd say there are 'some' that use more than 32 colours and 'a few' that exceed 64 colours (if you don't count copper backgrounds).
Old 24 February 2011, 13:16   #82
Gordon
Settler

premier manager 3 AGA is my favorite of those thats not been mentioned. faster and had manager faces
Old 24 February 2011, 21:05   #83
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Aaaaaah. The days where the number of colors / bits per pixel were a hardware spec Good days. All the days spent writing assembly routines that could blit pixels in 8/15/16/24 AND 32 bits modes... Really wish I had started on the Amiga though
Old 27 February 2011, 18:17   #84
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Plenty? I'd say there are 'some' that use more than 32 colours and 'a few' that exceed 64 colours (if you don't count copper backgrounds).
why would you discount copper bars?-they are still colours.
I've done a thread on classic Amiga about high colour OCS/ECS games, and the tricks used by them:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/...-OCS-ECS-games

In short hand (and this is just a sample)

Pioneer plague 256 colours (HAM)
Universe 200+ (scanline changing)
Trex warrior 80+ (mutiple copper fades, new screen for display)
fire and ice 170+
lionheart 185
brian the lion 100+
Elfmania 100+
Shadow of the beast 1-3 100+
Jim power 100+
Apache 100+

There are 'plenty' more. I have not looked at purely halfbrite games yet.
Old 27 February 2011, 18:38   #85
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Because copper backgrounds don't offer 'usable' colours, it's just an effect for the background (hence the name). Let's face it : The majority of games used 16 or 32 colours and I would say that's more than 90% of them. Even those which use more colours often only have a few screens that are in EHB or HAM mode.
Old 27 February 2011, 23:26   #86
frikilokooo

There is a big limitation in AGA also,games like Flink not exceed 64 colors on screen because they use dualplayfield while a simple megadrive shows handle even more colors using dualplayfield.You can see how AGA games have few colors using dualplayfield: Soccerkid,Shadow Fighter,Kid Chaos,etc.
Old 28 February 2011, 09:16   #87
khph_re

Quote:
Because copper backgrounds don't offer 'usable' colours, it's just an effect for the background (hence the name). Let's face it : The majority of games used 16 or 32 colours and I would say that's more than 90% of them. Even those which use more colours often only have a few screens that are in EHB or HAM mode.
True, but still make it all a bit more colourfull. The main tricks I spotted were:

-copper bars
-Opening new screens on one physical screen (generally main screen and scoreboard) -'Jim power' uses this extensively.
-Changing the palette per scanline. Jim power again, and universe.

There don't seem to be many hacks for sprites though.
3D games might fudge things with any of the above, but generally run in a 16 colour screenmode.
I'd be very interested to find out how pioneer plague manages to do HAM without problems.

@frikilokooo AGA was really just a moderate extension to ECS. I firmly believe it was downhill all the way once the original Amiga team stopped working on it.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:03   #88
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Jim Power is really impressive graphics wise and Universe makes great use of its more colours trick Wish more (and earlier) games would have used such tricks though.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:23   #89
khph_re

Yeah, with you on that.
With some games it's a storage issue, I think. The guy who coded Monkey Island 2 obviously knew how to code on the Amiga- it has a 32 colour main screen, and a 32 colour inventory screen.

He could have gone 64 colours for each, but how many disks would it have been then? I dread to think!
Old 28 February 2011, 13:30   #90
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Not an AGA game though
Yeah, it is actually. Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back are OCS, but Dungeon Master 2 is AGA.
Old 28 February 2011, 13:32   #91
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Yeah, it is actually. Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back are OCS, but Dungeon Master 2 is AGA.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44172
It is not.
Old 28 February 2011, 13:39   #92
fishyfish
Banned

I tried it on an a500 and it tells me "AGA chipset required" and goes no further.

As for AGA games, some other decent ones are XTreme Racing, Capital Punushment and T-Zero. I also really like both Robocod AGA (sure, its not much different to ocs/ecs version, but is a bit slicker/smoother, which maes it more playable) and Zool2 AGA.

As for AGA itself, sure, it's maybe not what it shoudlve been (I always believed ECS shouldve been AGA and AGA shouldve been something else again), but there are some other improvements over what others have mentioned. The ability to move data around in 2x and 4x larger/quicker chunks (depending on fetchmodes used) being a main one that people have missed. It's one of the biggest advantages it has over ocs/ecs.

Last edited by TCD; 28 February 2011 at 13:52. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 28 February 2011, 13:51   #93
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOL
This game requires a 68020 processor as well as 2 MB of RAM. This is why the game was classified as an AGA version, since the A1200 met those specs.
1. It is not an AGA game.
2. You can always try it yourself if you have (Win)UAE.
Old 28 February 2011, 14:03   #94
fishyfish
Banned

Firstly, I made them seperate posts deliberately. Theyre seperate things, so I posted them that way. Im a bit surprised and disappointed that a mod would dictate how a person posts really, especially when it wasnt against the sites TOS. Secondly, Im not arguing whether or not its an AGA game or not. You already posted a thread and I have no intertest in disagreeing with it. That being said, as I already mentioned:

"I tried it on an a500 and it tells me "AGA chipset required" and goes no further."
Old 28 February 2011, 14:11   #95
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Firstly there's no reason why you should make seperate posts to begin with.
Secondly, you claimed it's an AGA game quoting me. As I've said, you can try it yourself quite easily and I also pointed out why it won't run on an A500 (or a similar UAE config). Don't think there's much to argue about.
Old 28 February 2011, 14:20   #96
fishyfish
Banned

Yes, and once you pointed out that thread I was happy to believe it and even said as much. Me pointing out that the game itself says it requires AGA wasnt intended as arguing, merely elaborating why a person may believe it's an AGA game. Incidently I ran it on an '030 based a500 with 4 meg when I got that message.

Still disappointed that the way a person posts here is dictated by mods though. Necessary to make the points seperate posts, probably not. Necessary to edit them into one post, also probably not. It's not like I typed them back to back. I made one post, browsed elsewhere, then came back and made another post. If this is common then I think I might have to rethink eab as an alternate to my usual stomping grounds.
Old 28 February 2011, 15:02   #97
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
If this is common then I think I might have to rethink eab as an alternate to my usual stomping grounds.
It is common, so you might indeed have to rethink your decision if that's important to you.
Old 16 March 2011, 18:58   #98
bsx

i remember CAPITAL PUNISHMENT, Alien Breed 3D2 is ok.
Old 16 March 2011, 23:14   #99
Vollldo

Slaaaaammmm Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilt GOD !!!

Old 17 March 2011, 09:11   #100
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Slaaaaammmm Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilt GOD !!!
Amen brother!