English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 08 June 2003, 00:01   #1
rex raster

UFO help plz!

Can some kind soul upload ufo enemy unkown AGA to the zone plz,i have the standard version but it does not work with winuae

Old 08 June 2003, 05:49   #2
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Before trying the AGA version, you still might be able to get the current version working. In order to help you though, some of the following info would help...

1) What version of WinUAE are you using?
2) Any indications on the zip file what version of UFO you've got, eg:1991 Fairlight Crack etc.
3) If the zip/adf file isn't named as such, what does the Cracker's Intro say as to whom it is?
4) When exactly does the error occur, have you selected "Enable LED's to be displayed", if you noticed the DFO LED it'll let you know what approximate disk block it's stopping at,for example.
5) What settings have you tried,eg:Kickstarts 1.3,2.x, OCS/ECS, what CPU settings,sound etc.
6) Have you visted amiga related sites like Back To The Roots? They have game configs/settings that you can d/l.

Remember the more info you can give the more likely that someone here has encountered the same problems & has a solution!
Old 08 June 2003, 06:59   #3
Chuckles
The Ancient One

The non-AGA version that I have is 5 disks and doesn't have any sort of cracktro, nor do the TOSEC filenames indicate who may have cracked it. It does seem to work for me though using Kickstart 3.1, full ECS chipset, 2MB chip ram, 2MB fast ram. My config for this is attached, so you might want to give it a try.
Attached Files
File Type: uae ufo - enemy unknown.uae (7.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 08 June 2003, 12:52   #4
Drake1009

I've tried many times to get the non-aga version I can find working on my A1200 since it's bound to be faster than the AGA one. But it has a knack for crashing at the drop time I think.
Old 08 June 2003, 14:18   #5
rex raster

The winuae version is 0.8.22 release 7.
Theres no crack intro and its not cracked by any group.
Its on 5 adf disks.
It only crashes when you have to vist a crashed ufo site, as drake says.
Ive tried all configs with 3.1 and 1.3 kicks.
The disks always stop at 40.
Thanks chuckles ill try it but if you never played the game to the part where you have to vist a crashed ufo it prolly wont work :/
Im going to vist the site now

Old 08 June 2003, 17:50   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

That sounds like the same version I have, and I haven't actually played into the game far enough to have gotten to where yours crashes, so it won't surprise me if it crashes with my config too. On the odd chance that it might not though, I'd be curious to hear if this works any better for you than the other configs you've tried. Sometimes one little difference in the settings can make a big difference in whether or not a game works.
Old 08 June 2003, 21:23   #7
rex raster

Nope dont work mate crashes at the same place as always
and it also crashes at the same place in winfellow, maybe i have a bad disk set.

thanks for the help anyway

Old 08 June 2003, 22:45   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The European version of this game is known for its bugs and even cannot be completed due to them. The US release, X-Com: UFO Defense, fixes all of that.
Old 09 June 2003, 05:59   #9
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Does X-Com: UFO Defense come in a non-AGA version?
Old 09 June 2003, 13:58   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Actually, I am only aware on an ECS version, but I haven't actually seen it. Will keep my eyes peeled. I haven't been very productive lately on finding stuff, though... (sigh)
Old 16 July 2003, 00:03   #11
PDA

Quote:
Originally posted by rex raster
Nope dont work mate crashes at the same place as always
and it also crashes at the same place in winfellow, maybe i have a bad disk set.

thanks for the help anyway
I could be wrong as it was many years since I have seen my original disks for UFO Defence, I can not even remember if I had the UK or US version, but I though it was less than 5 disks.

Was the original less than 5 disks and where can I get the US version from (preferably the AGA version but not required)

Old 16 July 2003, 01:21   #12
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
The European version of this game is known for its bugs and even cannot be completed due to them. The US release, X-Com: UFO Defense, fixes all of that.
Not true. I completed UFO Enemy Unknown AGA with little to no problem. Maybe the odd bug or two.

You must be thinking of the cracked release of UFO which was badly cracked and riddled with bugs. For example if a Reaper alien ever appeared on the screen the game would crash. The original copy works fine. The A1200 version is on four disks.
Old 16 July 2003, 02:19   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Not true. I completed UFO Enemy Unknown AGA with little to no problem. Maybe the odd bug or two.

You must be thinking of the cracked release of UFO which was badly cracked and riddled with bugs. For example if a Reaper alien ever appeared on the screen the game would crash. The original copy works fine. The A1200 version is on four disks.
Well, it was MicroProse themselves who made this statement. IIRC it was referring to the ECS release.
Old 16 July 2003, 20:27   #14
PDA

There currently a group of people developing a free game which is based on XCOM UFO Defence, this game follows the original extremely closely but look for better than the original because it takes average of the graphics ability’s of current systems. If any ones interested this open source project can be found at http://www.projectxenocide.com/