English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 08 May 2023, 21:35   #21
Jolly

I also tried using crossdosfilesystem in my mount file instead of fat95 and could also not get that to work despite my best tinkering. Does anyone have an example mount file of a working setup?
Old 08 May 2023, 21:59   #22
Thomas Richter

It comes with lots of documentation - have you actually read this? Is your device a superfloppy or does it have partitions? What is the name of the device?
Old 09 May 2023, 10:02   #23
fgh

Also, your CF0 file doesn't seem to have Mount=1 or Activate=1 (I forgot which one is the current one), so it should by default not autmount until first access. Perhaps 3.2 automounts it anyway..
Old 09 May 2023, 21:52   #24
Jolly

@Thomas:
I did base my attempt on having read up on crossdos on Amiga Dos manual (3.1), AOS 3.2 help system, FAQ and the release notes for crossdos. Am I missing out on something?

This is my mount file (activate=1 from tooltype):
Code:
/* 4GB CF card PCMCIA */
/* NOT WORKING */

FileSystem    = l:CrossDOSFileSystem
Device        = Devs:compactflash.device
Unit        = 0
LowCyl        = 0
HighCyl        = 7750
Surfaces    = 1
BlocksPerTrack    = 1
BlockSize    = 512
Buffers        = 20
BufMemType    = 0
BootPri        = 0
Stacksize    = 16384
Priority    = 5
GlobVec        = -1
DosType        = 0x4D534400
LowCyl/HighCyl numbers are those reported by giggledisk for the CF card.

I am clueless on what should be actual numbers for BlocksPerTrack & Surfaces - help?

The CF card is FAT32 formatted. This is checked with Disc Utility on a Mac, which unfortunately does not seem to be able to report if there is a partition table or not.

I therefore tried with both DosType 0x4D534400 and 0x4D534800. Both cases result in a drive icon appearing, but reporting as "uninitialised". (Also tried all combos with SuperFloppy being either 0 or 1).

What am I missing or not understanding?

The CF card mounts/operates nicely with FAT95, but it would be nice to setup to use a more recently maintained component.
Old 09 May 2023, 22:08   #25
Thomas Richter

I asked a couple of questions.... So once again: What is the name of the device you are trying to mount? If you check the FAQ, you will find out that the name defines which partition is to be used. If there are partitions. Wild trying is not the right approach.
Old 09 May 2023, 22:18   #26
Jolly

compactflash.device, the cf card is sitting in the PCMCIA port.
Old 09 May 2023, 23:19   #27
Thomas Richter

Again. I do not care about where the cf card is sitting. I care about under which name you intend to mount it. I mean the device name, not the volume name, neither the name printed on the card, nor your name. Just to make sure.

So, just to make this more concrete: If you want to access the first partition, the device name needs to end with "C". Yes, that is mentioned in the FAQ. The device name is the name of the icon.

Thus, first partition, C at the end. Second partition, D at the end, and so on.
Old 10 May 2023, 21:54   #28
No.3

Jolly, which AOS version do you use?
CrossDosFilesystem from 3.1.4.1 or newer can be used as drop-in replacement for Fat95 (even if this is not the ideal way to do it (the technical better way is the way Thomas is trying to go)). Anyway, use the original mountlist from CFD133 and replace Fat95 with CrossDOSFileSystem, that's it i.e. if it works with Fat95 then it will work with CrossDOSFileSystem. If not, then something (hardware, software) is going badly wrong.
Old 11 May 2023, 19:05   #29
itsmedoofer

OS3.2, I can tell you it doesn't work as a drop in replacement, I have mount files for a CF card and the boot partition of a Pistom32 didn't work on either. I only tried it out of curiosity because of the comments here, I have a working setup already and have no will to RTFM
Old 11 May 2023, 21:17   #30
Jolly

@Thomas:
Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake Indeed, I was trying to mount as CF0:, when I should use e.g. "DH0C:" (at least where partition tables are involved).

I have confirmed that the 4GB card is without partition table. And I formatted (FAT32) another 8GB card with partition table (MBR).

Both cards work well with FAT95, but when mounting (using the appropriate dos types) with crossdos both results in "DH0C:uninitialised".

@No.3:
AOS 3.2.2.1. My initial curoisty led me to try replacing l:fat95 with l:CrossDOSFilesystem, but that is also not working.

It is not exactly mission critical to get this to work, but now that I am on the path it is more fulfilling to get to the end than stop. Any advice on next steps is appreciated.