English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 30 April 2023, 18:46   #21
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno View Post
You would be my hero if you solved this

I am trying to get softkicked scsi modded 1.3 to work on my CD32 and ran into exactly the same problem as Retro1234 described. Well, it would need a custom RTB file.

I followed this guide and got a kickstart with md5 8B7754639928AE0DE506D27F32FFBC27 (so far, so good). The kickstart works fine with UAE, and it seems people have success with it when burning it and using on real Amiga's. But I need to be able to softkick it, and it seems impossible...
Not sure if it helps but this video [ Show youtube player ] and this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77782 might help
Old 30 April 2023, 19:02   #22
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
Not sure if it helps but this video [ Show youtube player ] and this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77782 might help
Appreciate it, but I've already read through that thread as well as watched the vid. However, my problem is that I wish to softkick the modded ROM file - not burn it onto a physical ROM chip. And that seems to be a bit trickier, at least without an RTB file.
Old 30 April 2023, 19:56   #23
Thomas Richter

Again, may I ask why you think that the entire ROM needs to be loaded? As stated earlier, LoadModule may be a much better alternative as it may replace almost every ROM module from RAM. The only exception is the expansion.library.
Old 30 April 2023, 20:06   #24
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Again, may I ask why you think that the entire ROM needs to be loaded? As stated earlier, LoadModule may be a much better alternative as it may replace almost every ROM module from RAM. The only exception is the expansion.library.
Hm, interesting. So LoadModule would be able to read the scsi.device from disk upon startup I suppose? Even without a bootable floppy disk with device drivers?

I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of knowledge hacking startup-sequences, scripts, mountlists and whatnot so I might ask stupid questions. But I'm trying to wrap my head around how to get around this problem (and might learn a thing or two in the process).

So let's see if I understand this right.

1) I will load my WB 1.3 HD with CD32 kick3.1
2) LoadModule loads updated scsi.device into memory and it will make it survive reset
3) I will softkick non-hacked Kick1.3
4) The HD will then load with kick1.3

Is that correct? If this works it would be a perfect solution to the problem. I assumed softkicking 1.3 would erase scsi.device in memory.

EDIT: Yeah, that did not seem to work - as scsi.device of same version is apparently already loaded. So I am still back at square one. Question is how I can load kick 1.3 for softkicking, and before the reboot actually update scsi.device in memory...? Or is there something I have overlooked?

Last edited by fisken uno; 30 April 2023 at 21:54.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:08   #25
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Hm, interesting. So LoadModule would be able to read the scsi.device from disk upon startup I suppose? Even without a bootable floppy disk with device drivers?
Where LoadModule loads from is quite irrelevant. If you boot from a floppy, and the floppy contains LoadModule along with the modules you want to load, then yes.

Quote:
1) I will load my WB 1.3 HD with CD32 kick3.1
2) LoadModule loads updated scsi.device into memory and it will make it survive reset
3) I will softkick non-hacked Kick1.3
LoadModule does not support antique software such as 1.3. Besides, LoadModule will likely conflict with SKick.

What do you need 1.3 for, actually?

Quote:
EDIT: Yeah, that did not seem to work - as scsi.device of same version is apparently already loaded. So I am still back at square one. Question is how I can load kick 1.3 for softkicking, and before the reboot actually update scsi.device in memory...? Or is there something I have overlooked?
You can't. The scsi.device will need at least the kickstart version it came with.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:21   #26
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
LoadModule does not support antique software such as 1.3. Besides, LoadModule will likely conflict with SKick.
So that's what I thought. Seems it doesn't solve the problem then.

Quote:
What do you need 1.3 for, actually?
I have a WB 1.3 installed HD that I wish to use on my "modern" Amiga machines (if you can call 30 year old hardware modern) - A600 and CD32 with IDE connectors, for compatibility and nostalgia basically.

I have a separate CF card for WHDload and that nice and easy stuff. Doesn't prevent me from wanting to get a 1.3 HD working too.