English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 August 2007, 16:18   #1
misguided_fool

WinUAE Save-state

Hi Guys,

I hope I've posted this in the right section. It's a WinUAE problem - but I don't know if it's a problem with the game or the program. Anyway, let me explain what's happening.

I'm playing The Bards Tale - 2 Disks - Main disk & Character disk. Everything is fine - Im wandering about etc. Now when I return to the guild in the game (Where you can remove your characters from your party and save them to the character disk). The program crashes / throws up a read/write error. The disk are not write protected. I'm sure I used to play this game without this happening.

The only changes are that I have installed the latest WinUAE. I'm fairly sure I have set up the paths as they were. I may have deleted a few older adfs and saves etc.

I need to know what files need to be where in order for the game to write to the character disk properly. Does it write to the original adf ? When I restore my save state and try to write to the character disk - I get an error.

I hope I've explained it all well enough. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Cheers lads.
Old 22 August 2007, 16:48   #2
Ironclaw
Banned

Just un-write-protect the disk drives in WinUAE... the other version of winuae you had where it didn't complain, you probably had them set to un-protected.
Old 22 August 2007, 16:52   #3
misguided_fool

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that. Didnt work.

I think I might have deleted an older file - When you have an adf in df0:, and the game writes to it, do you need the file elsewhere in another directory ? I dont think it saves to the original does it ? Even if it isnt write protected ?

I think since I tried to tidy up my folders, I've deleted a file somewhere - although the original adfs are still in my games folder...
Old 22 August 2007, 17:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Reason is simple, cached data in memory (by trackdisk.device/AmigaDOS) gets out of date if you restore state and savedisk was modified after state file was created..

Ejecting and reinserting the save disk before accessing it might help.