English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 12 July 2015, 06:10   #1
brolly

Flight Sim 2 Scenery disks - how many?

Anyone knows how many scenery disks for Flight Simulator 2 were ever released for the Amiga?

Afaik 7 have been dumped so far and mobygames states that 12 + 4 special have been released which would make a total of 16 disks:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...cenery-add-ons

The 4 specials are Hawaii (dumped), Western Europe (#14 dumped), Japan (#13 dumped) and San Francisco (undumped).

I have some doubts all of them have been released on the Amiga, but just wondering if any FS2 fans around here might have some better intel.
Old 12 July 2015, 12:01   #2
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

There is quite a few. I am uncertain exactly how many were released. I own the Hawaiian Odyssey Scenery Disk and the Japan Scenery Disk.

Is the Japan Scenery disk stand-alone dumped anywhere? I couldn't find it. It's still marked M.I.A. in Hall Of Light.

Only reason I haven't contributed the Japan Scenery Disk I have is due to it having surface errors. I need to get around to cleaning the disk surface on that one.

I can see the combined ones are in TOSEC. I'm surprised my Hawaiian Odyssey stand-alone Scenery Disk is not in TOSEC. I thought it may have been entered into there by now.
Old 12 July 2015, 12:33   #3
brolly

Don't think the Japan scenery disk has been dumped as standalone, I can only find combined versions as well. Or at least it's not in the usual sets, which doesn't mean it hasn't been dumped of course.

On the TOSEC set I also see a disk named "Flight Simulator II v1.2 & Eastern Canada Region Scenery (1987-07-29)(subLOGIC)[h QTX]" do you know what scenery disk # is this? Can't find any info about this one.
Old 18 July 2015, 14:53   #4
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
Don't think the Japan scenery disk has been dumped as standalone, I can only find combined versions as well. Or at least it's not in the usual sets, which doesn't mean it hasn't been dumped of course.

On the TOSEC set I also see a disk named "Flight Simulator II v1.2 & Eastern Canada Region Scenery (1987-07-29)(subLOGIC)[h QTX]" do you know what scenery disk # is this? Can't find any info about this one.
I will get around to dumping the Japan Scenery Disk once I clean the disk surface.

I haven't heard of the 'Eastern Canada Region Scenery' Disk before.

It should also be noted that the one you mentioned is not even listed on HOL.

The most interesting thing is that SubLOGIC didn't provide much information about any other scenery disks with the packages.

Based on this logic, including the one you mentioned which was previously not known. There could be up to 16 or 17 scenery disks. As you mentioned in your initial post though, it is still unknown if these were all available for the Amiga. It is interesting that these appear to have been released for the C64. I think the Moby Games notes may be the closest evidence to conclude off so far.

I'm not sure if it is worth adding the rest of the disks as HOL entries just yet. Unless others are discovered.

According to the information on the back boxscan for:
http://hol.abime.net/4222/boxscan

There is 12 scenery disks for the U.S.A.

These consist of the following:

Scenery Disk 1:
Dallas-Ft. Worth
Houston
San Antonio
Brownsville

Scenery Disk 2:
Phoenix
Albuquerque
El Paso

Scenery Disk 3:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

Scenery Disk 4:
Klamath Falls
Seattle
Great Falls

Scenery Disk 5:
Salt Lake City
Cheyenne
Denver

Scenery Disk 6:
Omaha
Wichita
Kansas City

Scenery Disk 7:
Washington
Charlotte
Jacksonville
Miami

Scenery Disk 8:
Memphis
Atlanta
New Orleans

Scenery Disk 9:
Chicago
St. Louis
Cincinnati

Scenery Disk 10:
Billings
Twin Cities
Green Bay

Scenery Disk 11:
Lake Huron
Detroit

Scenery Disk 12:
Halifax
Montreal
New York

Last edited by niobyte; 18 July 2015 at 16:18.
Old 18 July 2015, 20:18   #5
Tweeky

just seen this thread,

few weeks ago i got my hands on some disks named "Great Britain Scenery Collection" there are 3 disks, copyright 1991 sublogic
i got only the 3 disks, no manual or Box
i was wondering if someone know more about it?
disks zoned

lack of time and lazy with scanning, but i will scan the disks soon...

@niobyte: do you mean with standalone that the disk not need FS2 main disk?
i only know and own the "scenery disk 13 japan" to load after main disk

quick test:
my Japan Scenery Disk (Disk Number AM-SD13) needs FS2
my Western European Tour Scenery Disk (Disk Number AM-SD14) dont need FS2 main disk
but both instructions explain how to load a scenery disk after FS2 main disk
Old 18 July 2015, 21:53   #6
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post
just seen this thread,

few weeks ago i got my hands on some disks named "Great Britain Scenery Collection" there are 3 disks, copyright 1991 sublogic
i got only the 3 disks, no manual or Box
i was wondering if someone know more about it?
disks zoned

@niobyte: do you mean with standalone that the disk not need FS2 main disk?
i only know and own the "scenery disk 13 japan" to load after main disk

quick test:
my Japan Scenery Disk (Disk Number AM-SD13) needs FS2
my Western European Tour Scenery Disk (Disk Number AM-SD14) dont need FS2 main disk
but both instructions explain how to load a scenery disk after FS2 main disk
Hi Tweeky,

Yes, it is quite confusing. As some of the scenery disks do include the FS2 program. Although, on some of them when loading the program, the game may be missing the cockpit background. Some of them have also shown to stop responding after being loaded.

The standard procedure in-game is to wait for FS2 to finish loading. Once finished, press 'E' on the keyboard. Insert the appropriate scenery disk, then go to the 'Nav' Menu then select 'Position Set' and then enter the appropriate NORTH and EAST coordinates for a destination.

A few hours ago I started creating in-game screenshots of all the different scenery disks.

Last edited by niobyte; 18 July 2015 at 22:03.
Old 29 July 2015, 19:56   #7
Tweeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post

nearly forgot them
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Britain Scenery Collection Disk 1.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	44894

anyone know more about it?
Old 21 September 2019, 17:37   #8
starroxx

Answer to original post

Hi, there. I realize this is an old thread, but I know there are people who are going to search for information in regards to the SubLogic scenery disks who will come to this site. I want to be able to provide the answers that people are looking for, because I played FSII on the Commodore 64 and Amiga when they were out in the 80's.

As we know, there are 12 disks which cover the US, and then there is Hawaii, Japan, San Francisco, and Western Europe. One piece of information that you need to know is that scenery disks 8 and 10 of the US were never made. I had all the scenery disks, and those two never came out. #12 never came out for the C64, however it did come out for the PC and the Amiga. The Amiga has everything EXCEPT disks 1-6, 8, and 10. They were most likely never completed, because SubLogic was working more and more with Microsoft and MSFS3 and 4. Those scenery disks would work on those two simulators, but SubLogic released two packages called "USA West" and "USA East". This provided full coverage for FS4 and their ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) program. Shortly after that, they released SubLogic "Flight" which had full USA coverage, and then they worked with Sierra to make ProPilot - which also had USA coverage. It just didn't make sense to continue working on those old scenery disks when they already had something better and most people had moved on from MSFS2 and 3. Also note that MSFS4 was the first simulator to be open for third party development and user created content. It's a wonderful, classic simulator full of possibilities, and it's understandable that most people had moved on from the older simulators to it and the alternatives after that.

I know it's not what you want to hear, and I don't like it either. But that is how it is. I've been featuring full flights on the C64 and Amiga on my YouTube channel (KILRtv) using the scenery disks. I would love to have those missing disks for the areas not covered, but unfortunately they just aren't available. But at least I can enjoy the good times that I had once again on both platforms.

I am curious about the Great Britain scenery. I had never seen that and wonder if that same scenery is incorporated in Western Europe. It obviously exists, because there's a picture of the disk in one of the posts above.
Old 21 September 2019, 18:39   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starroxx View Post
I am curious about the Great Britain scenery. I had never seen that and wonder if that same scenery is incorporated in Western Europe. It obviously exists, because there's a picture of the disk in one of the posts above.
Heya starroxx,

Welcome to EAB

If you like, you can try the Great Britain scenery by downloading from here: /TheZone/files/_2015/Great Britain Scenery Collection [Great Britain Scenery Collection].zip
Old 17 December 2019, 19:24   #10
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Hi starroxx,

Thanks for clearing up the missing scenery disks that were never released and which ones were released on the Amiga.
Old 04 May 2021, 20:23   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I've recently managed to obtain a boxed copy of the Great Britain Scenery Collection. I've created a basic HOL entry for now https://hol.abime.net/6417 and I'll add scans to it this week (although the box is somewhat battered).
Old 05 May 2021, 15:33   #12
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Just looking at my box, it mentions this, "120 airports in five different scenery areas: New York, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Could that mean some scenery areas were included with the base game rather than as scenery disks?
Old 26 July 2021, 17:39   #13
DavidKinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Just looking at my box, it mentions this, "120 airports in five different scenery areas: New York, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Could that mean some scenery areas were included with the base game rather than as scenery disks?
Yes, those areas are included in the game as it comes. If your packaging is complete, you should have two double sided charts that show these areas, with the co-ordinates and altitude of each airport included.

I noticed recently that some years ago someone uploaded to the Internet Archive a 44Mb PDF of all the charts from Flight Simulator 2, both those from the base game and all the scenery disks. (Search the Internet Archive for "flight simulator ii maps" and it's the first result.) Without this the scenery disks aren't much use!