English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 October 2020, 20:58   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

Raffles walkthrough

I discovered this game recently and I like it a lot

But it's also very hard... I could bring back 1 jewel out of 16, but can't make a lot of progress in the game.

I don't want to spoil it for me, but is there a walkthrough or hints somewhere?
Old 04 October 2020, 21:07   #2
Gzegzolka

Interesting game, but I have no idea how to play it. I have try it on winuae but do not make any progress just walk from one room into another one and find old lady in one room.
Old 04 October 2020, 21:21   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

I have pulled one lid of one of the appliances in the kitchen and found a jewel. I jumped on the appliance and picked it up, then I carried it to the old lady and dropped it.

The counter on the table went from 16 to 15...

now the hard part starts... I could pile up glasses over armchairs which allowed me to jump on clocks & bookshelves, allowing to access higher places and also rooms. Cheese slices can be fed to pink mutant creatures, that stops them. I think there should be cages to entrap the mutant canaries, but didn't find any ATM.

I also could not pick up the jewel behind the bath tub, or in the fireplace (fire burns!).

Also picking up a phone when it's ringing gives you invincibility for a while, but it disappears as soon as you drop it to do something interesting like picking up another object so it's difficult to lever.

Apart from that the game mechanics are probably very simple (not many special items). I figured out that they use objects blocking doors to make one-way doors.

I love those 8-bit era isometric games... I also mega-suck at them. That one looks very cool but also very tedious because you can carry only one item at a time... means a lot of back & forth. Even with trainer it's super hard.
Old 05 October 2020, 18:11   #4
rygar

This could be handy
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1316
Old 05 October 2020, 19:47   #5
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Very nice game. Not that many iso 3d adventures on the miggy so every one counts. Also thanks for the improved whdload JOTD (and also for fixing Missiles over Xerion while I am at it ).
Old 05 October 2020, 20:39   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I discovered this game recently and I like it a lot

But it's also very hard... I could bring back 1 jewel out of 16, but can't make a lot of progress in the game.

I don't want to spoil it for me, but is there a walkthrough or hints somewhere?
The original manuals for the game (floppy/CDTV) are available on HOL:

http://hol.abime.net/1186

However, you're looking for a walkthrough for the game and the HOL entry provides a very important clue to finding those. Raffles on 16-bit machines is a conversion of the 8-bit game Inside Outing. AFAIK it's a 1:1 conversion, so the walkthrough/longplays of Inside Outing on YouTube should be helpful:

- C64/Amstrad longplays

- Spectrum longplay

Good luck Jeff! Feel free to supply any Raffles screenshots you might want to take to improve the HOL entry!!
Old 05 October 2020, 20:43   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Ah thanks. Yes, it seems a 1:1 port. Those ZX spectrum isometric games will never cease to amaze me.

I'm on a fence: should I watch it, or should I try to figure out stuff myself ?

The screenshots won't be a problem, even without solving anything. Where should I upload them?
Old 05 October 2020, 21:03   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Ah thanks. Yes, it seems a 1:1 port. Those ZX spectrum isometric games will never cease to amaze me.

I'm on a fence: should I watch it, or should I try to figure out stuff myself ?
Just watch enough of the longplays to get past the part that you're stuck on, I reckon, then play the game for enjoyment. Do the same when you get badly stuck in the game again and then play some more. Rinse and repeat until finished!

Quote:
The screenshots won't be a problem, even without solving anything. Where should I upload them?
Cool! I'd love to see some screens from later in the game. You can upload screenshots to the Zone or, alternatively, up them to the HOL FTP server (see login/pass details below).

http://hol.abime.net/hol_faq.php?section=contributions

Last edited by DrBong; 05 October 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Added sentence!
Old 05 October 2020, 21:12   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

Oh it's not a 1:1 conversion. The amiga version has 16 jewels to collect. Speccy version has only 12. There are also less rooms in the 8 bit versions. At least this wasn't a lazy conversion

But the start of the game is the same so yes the video helps.
Old 05 October 2020, 21:26   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Oh it's not a 1:1 conversion. The amiga version has 16 jewels to collect. Speccy version has only 12. There are also less rooms in the 8 bit versions. At least this wasn't a lazy conversion

But the start of the game is the same so yes the video helps.
Good to know that the 16-bit conversions are "enhanced" over the 8-bit incarnations - it would've been a bit lazy and disappointing of the publisher/coders not to produce a bigger 'n' better game for the Amiga/ST IMHO.

Hopefully Raffles includes all the screens of Inside Outing as-is, without modification (so the longplay vids will be more than just a little bit helpful to you!), and simply includes extra screens to provide 16-bit game players with an extra challenge to complete the game!
Old 05 October 2020, 21:37   #11
alain.treesong
Aghnar

I played this game a lot on the Amstrad CPC.
The game was often called "Inside outing" (sometimes Raffles)
The graphics and the animation were very impressive on the CPC. I remember that the phone were belling and we could hear it more or less high depending on the room we were.
Good memories. There were of course of lot of excellent 3d isometric games on CPC or 8bits in general

A magazine which was sold with game compilation of old title and which was called logistrad (and after that runstrad or logistar) (re)sold this game at the time.
You can see this here (in french) :
https://abandonware-magazines.org/af...4064&album=oui
There is a little article about the game.