English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 August 2020, 18:42   #41
Thomas Richter

There are so many things to check out for. BufMemType, MaxTransfer, BlockSize... Which commands are used in the startup-sequence, what they do... If you just copy a file from or to an unfragmented disk, and the speed results are different, then something is flawed in the setup. Just to give you an idea. FFS will transfer the entire file in a single block to the harddisk, and I bet the PFS3 will do the same, all provided the BufMemType and MaxTransfer are setup correctly and the host adapter allows the transfer.
Old 29 August 2020, 18:58   #42
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrAmiga View Post
I used lower configuration this time (due to some unhappy users ). Instead of a 060 the tests ran on a Blizzard 1220 28 MHz + 4 MB Fast RAM.
Partition parameters verified, nothing to report. I suspected FFS might be using chipmem as buffers, but the value is correct.
However something else has caught my attention : cpu usage is low with FFS in comparison to the two others. In theory it should be close to 100% all the time for everyone because the device does not have large wait states contrary to a mechanical one.
What does it mean ? Is it FFS 46.20 that has a problem ?
I use FFS 39.27, as in ROM 3.0 and it's not slower than SFS for copying files...
Old 29 August 2020, 19:23   #43
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Partition parameters verified, nothing to report. I suspected FFS might be using chipmem as buffers, but the value is correct.
What is "correct"? Download "Devices" from Aminet, and check. Note that the HDToolBox uses by default(!) MEMF_CHIP because that is the only value that is workable for all boards. The FFS version does not matter there.
Old 29 August 2020, 19:31   #44
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
What is "correct"? Download "Devices" from Aminet, and check. Note that the HDToolBox uses by default(!) MEMF_CHIP because that is the only value that is workable for all boards. The FFS version does not matter there.
It's "mask" value. I remember something like 0x1fffe having to be changed to 0x7ffffffe to allow use of fastmem. If it's not that, how could i change something in hdtoolbox to allow fastmem to be used on my A1200's CF ?
Old 29 August 2020, 19:45   #45
CmdrAmiga

@Thomas, no s-s, just a simple script executing setpatch and the programs that follow (seen on the video, nothing hidden). For every test each partition is created as new (actually changing file system or even block size forces it) so there's no way they are "fragmented". Other than that, as I mentioned it couple of times already, I'm using a flash device (Compact Flash).

@Meynaf, I'd have to try with that older FFS you mention to be sure. But the fact that FFS uses less CPU is not surprising, it's been like that form the beginning.
Old 29 August 2020, 21:10   #46
nikosidis

CmdrAmiga: Very nice you do this. It just verifies everything that I experienced. If this can help to make FFS faster or better it is all good. I know FFS is what is in classic AmigaOS updates and if the devs. could bring FFS up to PFS3 standards it would be good for everyone.
Old 29 August 2020, 21:21   #47
CmdrAmiga

@Nikosidis, couldn't agree more. I'm fond of FFS despite some bad experiences but same thing could say about PFS3 so there's no 'only this one and nothing else'. I hope they will deliver much better FFS in OS 3.2 that will be a worthy heir of the old FFS
Old 29 August 2020, 23:01   #48
nikosidis

CmdrAmiga: It will not happen. The feature list for 3.2 is final. Maybe for 3.2.1
Old 29 August 2020, 23:50   #49
CmdrAmiga

Oh, well, then I guess I'll be mixing them as before
Old 31 August 2020, 04:57   #50
Storm
SYS64738

Always interesting to see comparisons. I have always used PFS, and before that was released, Ami-FileSafe. I just had less problems back in the day when I ran a BBS with those file systems.
Old 31 August 2020, 15:35   #51
CmdrAmiga

New episode:

EPISODE 4: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 August 2020, 15:54   #52
tom256

For Flash drives You can use block size 4k, maybe then You will see some performance benefits.
If You will have smaller block, flash drives during write will have to read entire 4k block and write it again. In theory if it will decrease performance.
Old 31 August 2020, 17:45   #53
CmdrAmiga

@tom256, you mean Block size 4096? I could and most probably it will be faster but for lower end configurations it's not practical due to increased memory requirement. If you look at the memory difference between FFS 512 and 1024 in the Episode 3 you'll see there's 500 kB less in the latter case. I'm not sure but if that is multiplied then it would take 3,5 MB more memory for each partition (unless the size also matters). But of course in case of the Warp 1260 you don't have to worry that much about memory because it has plenty of it.
Old 31 August 2020, 20:58   #54
tom256

Quote:
@tom256, you mean Block size 4096? I could and most probably it will be faster but for lower end configurations it's not practical due to increased memory requirement. If you look at the memory difference between FFS 512 and 1024 in the Episode 3 you'll see there's 500 kB less in the latter case. I'm not sure but if that is multiplied then it would take 3,5 MB more memory for each partition (unless the size also matters). But of course in case of the Warp 1260 you don't have to worry that much about memory because it has plenty of it.

Yes, 4096.
Old 31 August 2020, 22:50   #55
Akira
Black Lives Matter

What more constructive criticism do you want than people with actual deep technical knowledge of Amiga filesytems (one of them the current maintainer of FFS himself!) telling you there's something wrong with your test from the results you have shown?

It has nothing to do with how fast your accelerator was. you're being so obtuse about is that don't even realize that even two different accelerators with the same CPU at the same speed can eprform differently. And that the point of the more knowledgeable people here like the two Thomas and Meynaf, is that your test results look absolutely wrong.

Seems like all you wanted is to receive some praise for a non-discovery.
Quote:
a worthy heir of the old FFS
Are you even kidding here? The old FFS was terrible. The new one released on 3.1.4 is vastly improved.
Who is trolling now?
Old 31 August 2020, 23:53   #56
CmdrAmiga

Dude, calm down and go fight your battle somewhere else. I'm not questioning their knowledge. And there's nothing wrong with "my" test. It does what it does and if you can't understand it then please do not comment here anymore. Peace.
Old 01 September 2020, 08:58   #57
meynaf
son of 68k

I suspect FFS is using chipmem as buffers in the test, which of course would make it crawl.
Old 01 September 2020, 17:48   #58
CmdrAmiga

@Meynaf, it seems so. New test (on a new CF card and different block sizes) shows way different results. This one takes more time to edit but the video should be very interesting.
Old 02 September 2020, 10:11   #59
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I suspect FFS is using chipmem as buffers in the test, which of course would make it crawl.
How to change that?
Old 02 September 2020, 10:40   #60
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
How to change that?
See post #44. But it is possible recent versions of FFS do not respect this.
To be sure, you can try to type a few commands in a cli : avail (for the reference), addbuffers (to change the number of buffers), then avail again (to see what kind of mem has been used).