English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 27 May 2011, 21:08   #1
Amiga1992

Huge file with tons of MODs?

I love AMP. But downloading each MOD one by one is an enormous pain in the rear end.

Is there any place I can get a whole ZIP/Collection of all MODs in AMP and/or other places? A torrent? I am thinking something like HVSC but for Amiga MODs.

Any help appreciated

Last edited by Amiga1992; 30 May 2011 at 02:04.
Old 27 May 2011, 21:33   #2
Djay
95th User

i will look at my mod collection (which isnt massive), if its a reasonable size to upload to say...

--

ok... its 53mb... i will upload to , it comprises of Game/Scene/Crack tunes

--

bLAZER has provided a better option!!

Last edited by Djay; 27 May 2011 at 21:39.
Old 27 May 2011, 21:36   #3
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

ftp.modland.com

Total number of modules on the server: 415317
Total size of all modules on the server: 86016842341 bytes (80.1 GB)
Old 28 May 2011, 00:44   #4
Amiga1992

Well I think it's better to have a ONE FILE solution like HVSC.. with proper cataloguing etc... If I make this, would anybody help distribute it?
Old 28 May 2011, 01:46   #5
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Modland is structured absolutely fine by format/author/songname. No need for anything else.
Old 28 May 2011, 07:41   #6
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I love AMP. But downloading each MOD one by one is an enormous pain in the rear end.
You're not wrong. I've often wished the site offered the option to download all mods by a particular author in a single file.
Old 28 May 2011, 09:40   #7
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Well I think it's better to have a ONE FILE solution like HVSC.. with proper cataloguing etc... If I make this, would anybody help distribute it?
just make a recursive get in ftp.
Old 29 May 2011, 08:10   #8
zeg

Quote:

Is there any place I can get a whole ZIP/Collection of all MODs in AMP and/or other places? A torrent? I am thinking something like HVSC but for Amiga MODs.

Any help appreciated
Hello.
Yes, there is one way. You can start collecting your own mods. It costs 25 years of your live time. Other solutions are simple unfair. Okey!! And why did you need all the files at home?
bye bye
Old 29 May 2011, 12:44   #9
Skope
Protracker

I would advise all modland-leechers to use one of the mirrors as they are way faster and nicer to Coma's very limited bandwith. Use main site for uploading. Check the 'mirrors' file on the main server.

And it couldn't be easier to queue a dir by author from modland (and its mirrors). Select the dir you want and press Download. (:
Old 29 May 2011, 20:48   #10
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Hello.
Yes, there is one way. You can start collecting your own mods. It costs 25 years of your live time. Other solutions are simple unfair. Okey!! And why did you need all the files at home?
bye bye

Also, you could ask _me_. I would do a few zips for some authors if you want.

Sylvain
Old 29 May 2011, 23:49   #11
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

@skope Yes, I use a mirror, I just wanted to post the original address.
Old 30 May 2011, 01:07   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Hello.
Yes, there is one way. You can start collecting your own mods. It costs 25 years of your live time. Other solutions are simple unfair.
This is probably one of the most retarded comments I ever read at this day and age. It's not like the files are a secret treasure buried by pirates 100 years ago

Having a torrent with all files would be great because it will:
- Help people have a truckload of MODs to listen to.
- Ease the traffic off Modland, AMP and other sites using a community-driven torrent. If we all seed such torrent, it would make life easier for people that may be paying for the bandwidth to get leeched by others. THAT is unfair.
- If regularly updated, someone can take care of additions and changes... Have you evr seen the High Voltage SID collection? Something like that is awesome and asking "what ois the point of something like this?" is pretty uninformed.
- Helps you discover new music and new artists. I queue up unknown artists fro m HVSC in my player and many times I am gladly surprised with new people to check or new tunes by peopel I already knew. If you have to go and download what you *already know*, this part is totally ignored.

It doesn't even need to be a torrent, it could be a hosted website. With enough people contributing with checking on updates and making updates pack, it would work awesome.

Thanks to those who offered help, I think I will slowly go the modland way and start archiving by author, then see what I do with it. I still think a torrent archive or at least author ZIPs are a great idea.
Old 30 May 2011, 07:12   #13
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
@skope Yes, I use a mirror, I just wanted to post the original address.
I was referring to any new potential modland leechers. Not you mate. The way I put it was a little clumsy.
Old 30 May 2011, 18:39   #14
zeg

[QUOTE=Akira;758793]This is probably one of the most retarded comments I ever read at this day and age. It's not like the files are a secret treasure buried by pirates 100 years ago

It is really the super-market menthality, "i want all and everything", unknown for what it could be used for.

But, it seems you did not know, there is somebody behind this all, the people who are searching and sorting the musics, and all the releases where the music was used for. And you all think, the files are swimming on the ocean, and you can fish it. That all was/is a giant work during the last 24-25 years. I think, the leechers should really do also his/her things for this..

bye bye
zeg
Old 31 May 2011, 03:33   #15
Amiga1992

To clarify this for brick heads like Herr Zeg here: I did not post this here just to have all MOD files in my possession, I was asked about a repository that contained all files in a simple downloadable pack, much in the way HVSC works, for Amiga music, and if it did not exist, that I would like to try to create one. Actually an offer for contribution for better spread of what is out there.

But is it worth it? I probably get flamed by people who still think these files are to be had only "by the elite", whoever that is, and call people they don't know leechers just because they want to download a file.

Hey, someone, give Zeg a ring, he's stuck in 1992
Old 31 May 2011, 04:28   #16
Hewitson

I think the idea a of torrent with 80.1GB of mods is absolutely ridiculous. The HVSC is only 60MB, the two can hardly be compared.
Old 31 May 2011, 07:05   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I think the idea a of torrent with 80.1GB of mods is absolutely ridiculous.
Que? Any decent client will let you pick what you need, if the torrent is made correctly. I'd say that a well seeded torrent would be the best way to distribute something like that.
Old 31 May 2011, 19:46   #18
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
But is it worth it? I probably get flamed by people who still think these files are to be had only "by the elite", whoever that is, and call people they don't know leechers just because they want to download a file.
If you're referring to my post containing the word "leechers" I think you totally got the wrong message. Modland is a public FTP, free for anyone on the planet to DOWNLOAD (sorry, I was gonna use the word leech again) whatever they want. For the sake of easiness, just point your browser to ftp://ftp.modland.com. If you wanna do batch downloading then use an FTP-client or wget. Exactly how more convenient than that is there really?

And yes, you may also upload mods there which they don't already have.
Old 31 May 2011, 21:03   #19
Asle

Dear Akira,

1992 is indeed long gone. But, what was so special at that time, music wise anyway ? Was there some elite dude running underground music collection ? I don't think so. Granted, a few BBS/FTP did store _some_ musics, but certainly not at the level of modland or the mod archive.

I guess the point Zeg wants to make is that you lack any kind of respect towards the few individuals who _did_ spent the time he mentions to gather the material you want. It's very time consuming to collect all those files, believe me. I can guarantee you that Coma or any other music collectors worked for a long time to get there.

Still said files are of course free for download. It's easier on modland as it is a FTP. It's not so on AMP nor modarchive.

We (read AMP team) don't plan to provide a huge file (there are about 38 CD of mods on AMP presently) any time soon. We think it's ridiculous as the scope is always moving. I think a rsync in this case makes more sense. I think we'll study this (not so revolutionary) idea.

Last, again, if you wanted a few specific authors' musics, I can provide you with a zip of all their musics presently on AMP. I've done that before on several occasions when asked nicely .

Sylvain
Old 31 May 2011, 21:21   #20
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asle View Post
It's very time consuming to collect all those files, believe me. I can guarantee you that Coma or any other music collectors worked for a long time to get there.
Yep. When I first met Coma he was already an avid mod collector. This was somewhere in the latter half of the 90's I believe. And I know Zeg has invested a huuuge chunk of his life into collecting and sorting scene related material and making it available to the public, so I definately understand him for getting a little ticked when someone just pops by with a grab-hand.