English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 18 December 2022, 11:23   #1681
dr.zeissler

Matrox Mystique/Millenium users should use "video=matrox with video=dovesa".
Then update amithlon:
1. AOSXL-Update
2. BB3.9-2 Update
3. AmithlonUpdate131

After installing 1.31 and do a complete reboot "matrox-mystique" and perhaps also "matrox-millenium" are directly supported. "powerfb" changes to "matrox-1" in the picasso96. The bad effect on this is that all sounddrivers disappear even "ahi60usr" does not help on this. Audio is only "filesave" regardless what card I have into that machine. Any idea how to solve that soundproblem. Btw. "mui" is needed before installing "ahi60usr".
Old 31 December 2022, 23:52   #1682
dr.zeissler

While installing 131 I have to mark everthing with "no" and especially the last entry where it deletes the pcinsmod entry. If I "puh128" then I have sound in the demos.

Not perfect for every demo, but lot's of demos do work.

That brings me to these questions:

1. Do I have to "puh128" in order to get sound, or is there another way beside starting and running it.
2. Is there any other soundoption while staying on the original kernel "emubox.gz" (like emu10k)

Thx!
Old 08 January 2023, 13:18   #1683
dr.zeissler

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
V... i plan to install low-profile PCI FX5200. Still many of them could be purchased. MX4000, FX5200, 5700, some ATI cards also and all in PCI variant....
What kernel are we talking here?

I only get a suitable picture with my gf4 mx4000 PCI if I add "video=dovesa", if I choose video=nvida or simply do not give a video-option in the "small-bootup" my desktop is coloured garbage. I have tested the orignal kernels and kern310 on this.

It's hard to get a TNT2/MX PCI card and these 4MX/4000 cards a very small and ideal for amithlon to my eyes if you only have PCI slots.

Last edited by dr.zeissler; 08 January 2023 at 13:25.
Old 11 January 2023, 18:44   #1684
dr.zeissler

@SnkBitten

you covered a lot of stuff in your guide, thx for that!

Beside your Kernel3/4 recommended hardware there is also the option to go for kernel2.0x. Is your "pio-mode only" statement also for that kernel?

I thought that my SN45Gv2 should be well supported with Nforce2 capable kernel 2.04. It should give me working:
https://archive.shuttle.eu/2004/de/sn45g.htm

- IDE
- Audio
- Lan

The only downside is that this kernel should only support gfx-cards that are included up to that kernel. Therefore I am not using GF4 or FX series and a Geforce3 instead. Gfx is working fine (everything beside P96 lowres 320x240, higher resolutions are working fine.) Audio and Lan is not working because I have not figured out how to install them. I already copied the necessary files, but I used driver 0.9 that is for kernel3 , kernel 2 should be combined with drivers 0.86. So I will install them this weekend.

Doc
Old 13 January 2023, 17:58   #1685
dr.zeissler

I got audio working with NF2 and kernel 2.04

So I switched the machine and got back to P3/1400 i815e AC97 with GF4mx 4000 PCI!

Only Kernel4 works with that MX4000-PCI the original kernel and the updated one and also Kernel3 do not work with MX4000-PCI (only with dovesa).

Kernel4 works but not 100%. There is still "VESA-1" and not "NVIDIA-1" as expected in P96. Any idea how to fix this?

Thx!
Old 18 January 2023, 03:15   #1686
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
Kernel4 works but not 100%. There is still "VESA-1" and not "NVIDIA-1" as expected in P96. Any idea how to fix this?

Thx!
The framebuffer is only in the kernel so if it is not seeing anything but VESA-1 it's not registering against the kernel.

I had to add the following to the init file "small" on my laptop which has an nVidia GPU to get it to show up properly as NVIDIA-1 instead of VESA-1.

video=riva:1600x1200,flatpanel=1

the 1600x1200 is the laptop screens native resolution so you can set that to something else like 1024x768.
Old 18 January 2023, 03:17   #1687
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
@SnkBitten

you covered a lot of stuff in your guide, thx for that!

Beside your Kernel3/4 recommended hardware there is also the option to go for kernel2.0x. Is your "pio-mode only" statement also for that kernel?

Doc
Thanks, I spent a long time working with different hardware and attempting to decipher how Amithlon worked so I tried to share what I learned.

Unfortunately I have no interest in the older kernels and have spent zero time with them.
Old 14 February 2023, 09:09   #1688
LaBodilsen

Managed to get Amithlon running in Virtualbox, thanks to SnkBittens guide. Brings back some fond memories of being a beta tester on AmigaOS XL and Amithlon.

I have a Live Demo CD of Umilator (Amithlon 2.0) that runs pretty well on a very old laptop of mine (Pentium 4, 512mb), Would it be possible to run Amithlon on a semi-new laptop, or would i have to track down some obscure item to get it working?

ps. Thank you @SnkBitten for the guides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billede.png
Views:	72
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	78113  

Last edited by LaBodilsen; 14 February 2023 at 09:30.
Old 14 February 2023, 12:01   #1689
milanca

@LaBodilsen

Congrats on setting up your VBox'ed Amithlon!
A question, are you sure please that what you have is an Amithlon 2.0 (aka Umilator)? Could it be just the regular AmigaOSXL/Amithlon CD that someone re-built and just named Amithlon 2.0? I am really curious about what you actually have.

Best regards!
Old 14 February 2023, 12:18   #1690
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
@LaBodilsen
A question, are you sure please that what you have is an Amithlon 2.0 (aka Umilator)? Could it be just the regular AmigaOSXL/Amithlon CD that someone re-built and just named Amithlon 2.0? I am really curious about what you actually have.
I guess i did mess up my explanation here.

The Amithlon setup i got running in VirtualBox, is just the "normal" AmigaOS XL/Amithlon from H&P.

But, as i was an early alpha tester for Amithlon, and later beta tester for AmigaOS XL, i got a preview from Bernie of Amithlon 2.0 (aka Umilator), before Bernie gave up on the whole project. It's a Live demo CD, that boots to workbench but will not allow you to write to HD, and after 20min it will start to slow down the emulation. It was meant as a Test CD for people to try out on their hardware, before buying the product.

Screenshot attached of it booting in VirtualBox, but it never boots to workbench. It does however boot to workbench on my old laptop, and runs quake quite nice in 1024x768.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Umilator.png
Views:	110
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	78115  
Old 14 February 2023, 12:43   #1691
milanca

Thanks @LaBodilsen,

No, you actually explained it well, I understood you correctly.

I was just curious about the cd, I thought it never saw the light of the day. It all make sense now.
Too bad its just a test cd with such restrictions, makes it unusable. But it's a nice information after all, after like 20 years, huh.

Best regards
Old 14 February 2023, 13:01   #1692
amigamia

Wow I thought it was vaporware or something that never made it to the public. Since it is a test/demo CD and not the actual product, is that something you can share in the Zone?
Old 14 February 2023, 15:11   #1693
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigamia View Post
Wow I thought it was vaporware or something that never made it to the public. Since it is a test/demo CD and not the actual product, is that something you can share in the Zone?
Well, i'm a little hesitant to share it.

But as it was 20+ years ago, and the project was abandoned, the integrated IP (Kickstart 3.1 + OS 3.9) is widely available on the net anyhow, and who is going to claim ownership of it now. AND i don't recall signing any NDA for it :-)

I might consider sharing it, just give me a couple of days to think about it.
Old 15 February 2023, 01:16   #1694
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBodilsen View Post
Would it be possible to run Amithlon on a semi-new laptop, or would i have to track down some obscure item to get it working?

ps. Thank you @SnkBitten for the guides.
You really need the hardware around the time Amithlon was released, especially for a laptop which doesn't have slots to try different sound cards, network cards and graphics cards. There are a few that have been tested, most with some limitations (no hardware accelerated graphics or no USB support or no audio or maybe no USB and no Audio but graphics are great, etc..).

Late 1990's to early 2000's should be easy to find on eBay though finding one that covers all the bases may take some time. Prices should be pretty cheap too...as that market isn't aware of the "Amiga" connection to jack the price up
Old 15 February 2023, 04:40   #1695
amigamia

Quote:
Well, i'm a little hesitant to share it.

But as it was 20+ years ago, and the project was abandoned, the integrated IP (Kickstart 3.1 + OS 3.9) is widely available on the net anyhow, and who is going to claim ownership of it now. AND i don't recall signing any NDA for it :-)

I might consider sharing it, just give me a couple of days to think about it.
That would be fantastic!
Old 15 February 2023, 08:39   #1696
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Screenshot attached of it booting in VirtualBox, but it never boots to workbench. It does however boot to workbench on my old laptop, and runs quake quite nice in 1024x768.
Figured out why it did not boot to Workbench in VirtualBox.
It seems that Umilator have the same problem as Amithlon with not wanting anymore than 512mb Ram. With 512mb it boots, but only to a completly empty workbench screen, so something is still not working as intended.
Old 16 February 2023, 02:49   #1697
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Figured out why it did not boot to Workbench in VirtualBox.
It seems that Umilator have the same problem as Amithlon with not wanting anymore than 512mb Ram. With 512mb it boots, but only to a completly empty workbench screen, so something is still not working as intended.
I have a 1GB ram setup on my Virtualbox Amithlon configuration. The only thing really lacking is hardware accelerated graphics but Audio, USB and Networking are all working. What is your base configuration for the virtual that Amithlon runs?

I use a DOS base, 1 GB ram, set for single cpu, acceleration enabled for both options, PIIX3 chipset, PS/2 mouse, Enable I/O APIC and Hardware Clock checked. Display limited to 16mb as more just eats up available Amiga ram, graphics as VBoxVGA, 2 IDE controllers, ICH AC97 sound, a bridged network adapter to my host physical adapter so I can see my NAS box on my network and USB 2.0 enabled.

Also I'd be extremely interested in the Umilator demo CD you have, just to see the differences first hand that he was working on in the next/new release he had planned.
Old 16 February 2023, 09:42   #1698
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I have a 1GB ram setup on my Virtualbox Amithlon configuration. The only thing really lacking is hardware accelerated graphics but Audio, USB and Networking are all working. What is your base configuration for the virtual that Amithlon runs?
I was running Amithlon with a 2GB setup, but i was under the impression that the Init string variable 'mem=512M' restricted the kernel from using more than 512mb of memory.

Tried using the same variable for Umilator, but it had no effect. Only lowering the amount of memory in VirtualBox made a difference.

Quote:
Also I'd be extremely interested in the Umilator demo CD you have, just to see the differences first hand that he was working on in the next/new release he had planned.
I'm currently asking around, to make sure i don't step on some people, or break some promises i have made in the past. please stay tuned.
Old 16 February 2023, 12:13   #1699
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Amithlon doesn't like more than 1GB available memory, primarily from how Bernie was kicking out the bios memory/PCI addressing and shoving it all into a particular area. Some system's bios didn't have issues with this but most do. The init string limit is to allow what is configured for AmigaOS as kernel, drivers, the remapped PCI addressing, etc.. are taking up the remaining ram and may or may not need additional space. One of my systems has to have the 'mem=' string set to 752M while the other is fine with out the 'mem=' statement at all. Both are physically 1GB of memory installed.

My Virtualbox configuration is 1024MB for the Amithlon virtual and my init string for kernel4 is as follows:

kernel4 init=/linuxrc console_level=0 root=/dev/ram1 initrd=smallird.gz ram=1024M vga=773 ramdisk_size=2310 leavepages=5000 nosleep

Additionally, setting aside space with 'ramdisk_size=' and 'leavepages=' can also affect how much ram your system can allocate for AmigaOS, if set higher than what's needed.
Old 17 February 2023, 12:03   #1700
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I use a DOS base, 1 GB ram, set for single cpu, acceleration enabled for both options, PIIX3 chipset, PS/2 mouse, Enable I/O APIC and Hardware Clock checked. Display limited to 16mb as more just eats up available Amiga ram, graphics as VBoxVGA, 2 IDE controllers, ICH AC97 sound, a bridged network adapter to my host physical adapter so I can see my NAS box on my network and USB 2.0 enabled..

Thank you for this Settings resume. It actually made Umilator boot in VirtualBox. (see screenshot for teaser)

Which is great, as that means the .iso dumb i made of it, actually works. Due note the available memory :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Umilator_on_virtualBox.png
Views:	108
Size:	561.0 KB
ID:	78160