English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 September 2012, 20:06   #1
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Alien Breed and Jean Michel Jarre

I can't believe I have never noticed this before..

Listen to this: [ Show youtube player ]
Then listen to this: [ Show youtube player ]

Seems like Mr Brimble was inspired by Jarre.
Old 10 September 2012, 20:34   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Nice find. Never heard of that.

Had quick look online, and Brimble does recognize Jarre as an influence (not specifically for Alien Breed though):
http://www.ultimatedriver.info/allis...e-answers.html

Quote:
In my early career my main influences were Jean Michel Jarre and the C64 game music composers such as Rob Hubbard / Tim Follin. I think game music is the biggest influence.
Old 10 September 2012, 21:20   #3
Amiga1992

This sort of stuff happens frequently, some times inadvertently by the composer.
After all,
Old 10 September 2012, 22:21   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
This sort of stuff happens frequently, some times inadvertently by the composer.
After all,
No denying that, but frankly, in this case, I don't think there is a single chance for it to happen inadvertently.

How many chance to have two people deciding to make some music combining [sorry for the lack of technical musical words]
- a low-pitched "bong" sound repeating at a certain interval
- in the "background" a small high-pitched sound (that sounds like a thousand of mice sueeking at the same time?)
Old 11 September 2012, 00:19   #5
Amiga1992

Everything has been, basically, already invented. With this argument you have in mind, you can go hunting for people that use exactly the same chords and chord progressions in their tunes, or what about rhythmical arrangements? Chances are, everybody does, because there's no inventions in this area, except maybe if you are working in microtonal and doing weird shit, which in turn will not be considered music by many (most?).

The AB tune sounds influenced by Jarre for sure, but absolutely different. Except for the beginning, nothing else is similar to the Jarre song. If you heard a lot of someone's work, to call it "influential", it is only natural that this person's work somehow works tits way into your own work and, in most cases, this is not deliberate and happens naturally.
Old 11 September 2012, 15:36   #6
Vincey78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
I can't believe I have never noticed this before..

Listen to this: [ Show youtube player ]
Then listen to this: [ Show youtube player ]

Seems like Mr Brimble was inspired by Jarre.
Oooh! Love this thread. Does anyone remember a game by Codemasters, one of the Dizzy knock offs, Kwik Snax ? On one of the computers I had, Probably a c64, or Amiga. It has the music from Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode. Not inspired, nicked.
SORRY----> FAST FOOD.
Also that dance track, Zombie Nation ripped off a riff I remember from an old C64 game. Cant remember the game but I knew the riff when I heard it

Last edited by Vincey78; 11 September 2012 at 15:43.

Old 11 September 2012, 16:14   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey78 View Post
It has the music from Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode. Not inspired, nicked.
And Mussorgskij 's Baba Yaga and Strauss' Blue Danube in Frontier, Katjusa in Rasputin and so on...

Not to forget Mozart in Head over Heels.

Also one part of one track in Globdule reminds russian hymn.
Old 11 September 2012, 18:31   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
And Mussorgskij 's Baba Yaga and Strauss' Blue Danube in Frontier, Katjusa in Rasputin and so on...

Not to forget Mozart in Head over Heels.
Those compositions are public domain and as such can be used by anyone on anything. Lemmings also had some of those public domain songs.

I seriously don't understand this witch hunt. Should we go also and check which graphics were inspired in hollywood actors, scenes, cities, even other paintings, etc?
Old 11 September 2012, 18:52   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I dont think it was supposed to be a witch hunt, rather some curiosity, or interesting fact.
Old 11 September 2012, 19:06   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Should we go also and check which graphics were inspired in hollywood actors, scenes, cities, even other paintings, etc?
Errrr :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=7102

And let's not forget :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=alike

As Predseda said, it is not a witch hunt. No doubt Brimble has a lot of talent and has made a lot of original composition.

The most interesting thing here would be to know if Brimble sort of recreated this without consciously remembering the influence when he did the Alien Breed intro music or if he thought "Hmmmm, Jarre's track beginning would really fit the mood for that. I can't imagine creating something better suited for that. Let's make a remix/arrangement".
Old 11 September 2012, 19:10   #11
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
How about Elite docking music?
Old 11 September 2012, 19:48   #12
Amiga1992

Hmm gotcha, the tone of some messages here seemed to imply this was a ripoff or a bad thing. Whether Brimble did it consciously or not, only he can answer, but sometimes it does happen unconsciously!

As for any classical music you hear in any game, movie or whatever, same case: public domain compositions, can be used freely anywhere.
Old 11 September 2012, 20:07   #13
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

I don't think there was a C64-era game composer that wasn't inspired by Jarre. Take a look through the High Voltage SID Collection sometime, it's uncanny how many of the big names have at least an "Oxygene Part 4" cover under their belt...
Old 11 September 2012, 20:25   #14
Phantom
Adventurer

Obviously that doesn't stop in music department. Check below:

Old 11 September 2012, 20:31   #15
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
I don't think there was a C64-era game composer that wasn't inspired by Jarre.
Martin Galway did an excellent rendition of Magnetic Fields in Yie Ar Kung-Fu on the breadbin.

Oh and Captain Blood features parts of Ethnicolor by Jarre.
Now I just need to figure out how to play the game..
Old 11 March 2016, 15:29   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

Bump bump we should rename this thread in "music ripoffs in video games"

Check the 2nd "Conan" movie (1984). At some point when they're escaping from a fire IIRC (not without having performed some heavy lifting of big doors) there's a music which is exactly the one used in Golden Axe.

Also Popcorn and Pengo (2nd version of Pengo had a different music!!)

From the Amiga side, the Lotus III track called "shamrip" (!!) sounds a lot like "Move any Mountain" by ... Shamen. Coïncidence? noooooo.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Classical music ripoffs don't count as they are public domain or a lot of games would be concerned (Phoenix: letter to Elise)
Old 11 March 2016, 15:37   #17
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I have to check Conan then. I virtually know every single note from the 1st movie soundtrack, and every single note from Golden Axe. 2nd movie soundtrack is less known to me, but I have it on CD as well and I don't remember listening Golden Axe in it.
Old 11 March 2016, 15:53   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Bump bump we should rename this thread in "music ripoffs in video games"
Only that, as explained before, it isn't really rip off and it's unfair to call it that.That Lotus track is marginally similar, just because it uses a certain arrangement for a riff doesn't make it a rip-off.

Artists are inspired by other artists all the time and you can hear/see elements of their influences all the time in their work. The Shamen tune you linked to actually probably inspired a lot more heavily this track, not only in composition but also on instrument selection:
[ Show youtube player ]

Yuzo Koshiro CLEARLY stated in interviews and documentaries that he inspired himself a lot from this period of electronic club music and he wanted to bring that sound to a videogame in Japan. His Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack has a lot of "hues" from a lot of club music of back then, for example, tracks of Joey Beltram.

People are also mentioning covers, like the Pengo music. Why? it's a cover. Nobody claimed it was an original composition. It is clearly a cover. Using a cover or a classic piece of music composition isn't a rip-off. At the very least the MOD creator would have arrangement rights to the tune. You need to understand how music rights work and realize covers are perfectly legal, if only a bit uninspired.

Again, talking about this as "rip-off" is disrespectful and inaccurate. Please don't.
Old 11 March 2016, 17:33   #19
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I have to check Conan then. I virtually know every single note from the 1st movie soundtrack, and every single note from Golden Axe. 2nd movie soundtrack is less known to me, but I have it on CD as well and I don't remember listening Golden Axe in it.
Well, if not Golden axe, try Evil's doom then (tavern song f.e.)
Old 11 March 2016, 18:37   #20
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I second Akira on this... it really is not rip off. Sounds similar - so what??