English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 April 2022, 23:01   #1
AndyC

Shapeshifter Mac-Handler

Hi folks,

I've managed to get the Mac OS 7.5.3 disk image running in Shapeshifter on my A1200 with TF1260, using a physical partition on the TF1260 IDE header (for a bit more speed).

It's running nice and snappy, but for the life of me I cannot work out how to move files using the mac-handler.

I understand that there are two "forks" for mac files, "data" and resource". I am copying a file I picked up to install Toast (adaptec-Toast-Deluxe-4.2.sit) using mac-handler (default "DATA") setting, which then appears on the Mac desktop. However, "get info" describes it as a SimleText text document. And when I try to expand it using Stuffit Expander, it looks like it's going to work, then creates a folder on the desktop with a single file called "Adaptec Toast 4.2", but the file has no attributes.

Any help on how to move files using mac-handler whilst retaining the file attributes would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

AndyC
Old 21 April 2022, 15:25   #2
jayminer

Since noone else has answered anything, I've used mac-handler quite a bit and never had to worry about any settings when it comes to stuffit archives, they have always worked and I don't think the forks really matter? Stuffit can be really strange though and I've had issue where some archives just refuses to extract but when I've tried on another machine or using another version of MacOS it has worked. It also seems to wants loads of memory and not give any error message if it fails.
Old 21 April 2022, 18:50   #3
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I never understood forks and all that. The only thing that's caused problems for me is Windows. Also try an updated version of Stuffit.

Check another source for your file Mac Garden etc and make sure the app isn't for PPC.
Old 23 April 2022, 04:33   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I would look for a .hqx format file that keep resource fork and data fork together; to decode those there are two utilities: macbinary or binhex; stuffit if i remember can recognize those file too but am unsure right now
Old 23 April 2022, 08:58   #5
mark_k

Which version of StuffIt are you using? Older ones can't unpack newer archives.

Also, make sure you copy the .sit file to the Mac HD before unpacking it.
Old 05 May 2022, 23:35   #6
AndyC

Thanks for the replies folks :-)

I'm using Stuffit 5.5, and I'm coping the *.sit files to the hard drive, but still no joy. They just get interpreted as large text files. I'll try some alternative downloads or the *.hqx format.

I was able to grab and unpack Disk Copy using stuffit, so it's working for some files but not others.

I'll persevere in the meantime :-)

Cheers,

AndyC
Old 06 May 2022, 12:36   #7
mark_k

How are you trying to unpack the .sit files? Just double-clicking the file's icon?

Try dragging it onto the StuffIt Expander app icon. Or using the File->Open menu in StuffIt Expander to choose the file.

Try setting the .sit file type and creator using the Amiga Filenote command before accessing it via Mac-Handler. Change its comment to "SITD/SIT!"

This page has a list of type and creator codes for different versions of StuffIt archive.
Old 07 May 2022, 05:59   #8
MiaM

Sorry for giving almost the worst advice ever, but from memory I usually just downloaded/copied every archive version I could find of a program that I wanted to run in ShapeShifter, and then I think I had Stuffit Expander and BinHex inside the Mac emulation, and then I just tried opening each of the downloaded files with both these programs and eventually I usually ended up with a working program. I have some vague memory of that some files needed processing in two different program, perhaps similar to compress/gzip/bzip2 and tar in the Unix world.

Another option to transfer files to the Mac emulation would be on CDs, or possibly CD images (if there is some utility to emulate a CD rom on the Amiga - if there is it would most likely work great in the Mac emulation too).