English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 April 2021, 11:25   #21
jayminer

I wouldn't say many of those games are Metroidvanias since most of them lack the whole "getting upgrades to help you progress"-angle I associate with the genre.
Old 23 April 2021, 16:28   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Indeed, but the internet is good at diluting these kind of things overtime.

Nowadays if it moves in third person and is hard it's instantly a "souls-like". No, it's not. A souls-like has a very specific story structure (a new definition of abstract) and an in-depth combat mechanic involving invincibility frames, blocking, parrying and dodge rolling.
Old 24 April 2021, 03:13   #23
ztronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayminer View Post
I wouldn't say many of those games are Metroidvanias since most of them lack the whole "getting upgrades to help you progress"-angle I associate with the genre.
With this point of view, this matches perfectly with the game "The Game" as "getting upgrades to help you progress" is the key to going through it and many screens need to be revisited once the upgrade is collected (faster speed, higher jump etc.).
Old 25 April 2021, 04:03   #24
-Acid-

The point of Metroid is you return to where you have previously been and go further with your newly gained items and abilities to unlock doors you couldn't open before, or access new areas because you can now jump higher or wall jump or use the grappling beam for example. It's nothing like the Adams Familly, Another World or Prince of Persia these are just big mazey/puzzle like platform games with very little exploration going on in that sense. In Metroid style games most areas are hidden with many optional areas and you have to try things to find new areas using your items.