English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 July 2007, 15:59   #1
Raffaz
Kebab Lover

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
CF and workbench

Just wondering what the best way of installing workbench to a CF is. Is it better to do it connected to the pc through winUAE or is it better to do it connected to the amiga. Are there any step by step guides for this? Cheers
Old 13 July 2007, 16:36   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I am a bit in the dark about this as well - I have read all the threads about CF cards and also have a couple myself but I have never installed WB onto one - do you format these through HD Toolbox and do you format them FFS??

I want to use one in my next project as I wont have room for a hard drive inside the A1200 casing...

1.Can you boot from WB 3.1 install disk - run HD Toolbox and partition the card.

2.Can you then format the card FFS.

3.Anyone suggest the best CF adaptor - I am using an IDEFIX Express as well please bare in mind...

4.Would it be better to stick with an actual hard drive with the IDEFIX Express installed?

Peter
Old 13 July 2007, 18:53   #3
Raffaz
Kebab Lover

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Its 3.9 i want to install, so do i need to use an external cd drive?
Old 13 July 2007, 19:09   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Raffaz
you can install a skeletal OS3.0 / 3.1 and then copy all the files on the hard disk and install from there in a real machine.

@Peter

well my friend, you have a lot of options available. For simplicity I use a pcmcia cf card adapter on my laptop. from here I install workbench via WinUAE. but to install under a host machine (say 1200)

1. connect CF to adapter to IDE interface.

boot workbench and select hd-tools, from here you should be able to init the CF card.

2. the Max Transfers setting.

under the native Amiga IDE and IDEfix / EIDE MAX etc. you have to change the MAXTRANSFERS setting when you prep the hard disk in HD-Tools.

You must change the the MAX TRANSFERS size to 0x1fe0000 otherwise you will get false read and checksum errors when using the device.

once this is configured you can set the rest up as a normal hard disk.

now I have never tried the IDE express or the FAST ATA adapters and you may be able to jigger it aout a bit to get better results.
Old 13 July 2007, 19:23   #5
Raffaz
Kebab Lover

Thanks for the reply, does that info apply to 3.9 aswell? Ive got the CD here for it. Are there any guides for doing this?
Old 13 July 2007, 20:05   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Cheers Zetr0 - going to get an adaptor over the weekend and have a play with some of the spare cards I have...

Raffaz - I think it is a case of just having a go sometimes... there arent many user guides as such - take each step at a time and come back to the forum with each question you have - that's what I do...
Old 13 July 2007, 20:32   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

me too
Old 13 July 2007, 20:35   #8
Raffaz
Kebab Lover

Thats the problem tho mate, i havent messed with one of these since the early nineties, so im totally clueless lol. Ive been reading the instructions on the CD and it says i need a CD drive attached to the Amiga, which i dont have, so can i install it through winUAE and then attach the CF to the Amiga that way, or is there more to it than that?

Last edited by Raffaz; 13 July 2007 at 20:43.
Old 14 July 2007, 09:38   #9
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I moved my WB 3.9 to a CF card, installed a PFS3 filesystem onto it and it's been working nicely. Just like a regular HD partition, just silent and fast .