English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 July 2021, 01:58   #1261
rare_j
Zone Friend

I already had an A500+ with 2mb chip ram when I upgraded to the A1200.
I was excited for the faster processor and more colours to use in dpaint and the new games.

In reality, the cpu wasn't that much faster without fast ram, and the new colour modes were so slow I didn't use them. Also, the jump from os2 to os3 wasn't that big a difference. I didn't play any AGA games - they was mostly shovelware, in my opinion.
What I did get was the ability to add a hard drive, and accelerator/fast ram. Although these were expensive upgrades on top of the original purchase!

With the benefit of hindsight, I didn't need an A1200. I could have kept the 2mb A500+, bought an A530 (or other hard drive and accelerator), and upgraded to os3.
But I didn't know that then.
Old 26 July 2021, 14:51   #1262
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I already had an A500+ with 2mb chip ram when I upgraded to the A1200.
Did you frequently have problems running games on the A500+ I wonder?
Old 26 July 2021, 23:00   #1263
activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
Nothing can touch Banshee on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive side, though, because Banshee, not only has 256 colors, it actually has more, due to the incredibly smooth fog and crossfade-effects. You'd have to come up with ACTUAL examples - Megadrive can't touch the Amiga in most cases, all conversions are sub-par, Amiga versions truly shine.
Have to disagree there. Banshee is overrated. Visuals are v nice but the gameplay and pacing is not quite right at all. Battle Squadron, Mega Typhoon, Hybris wipe the floor with it gameplay wise. The 1200 could probably do Thunder Force III/IV. But not certain.
Old 26 July 2021, 23:09   #1264
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by activist View Post
Have to disagree there. Banshee is overrated. Visuals are v nice but the gameplay and pacing is not quite right at all. Battle Squadron, Mega Typhoon, Hybris wipe the floor with it gameplay wise. The 1200 could probably do Thunder Force III/IV. But not certain.
I wonder if the A1200 got hi quality ports of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 with the CD32 pad on launch, if it would have helped shift more units.
Old 27 July 2021, 01:57   #1265
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Did you frequently have problems running games on the A500+ I wonder?
Not that frequently. There was a copy or relokick on the cover of a magazine that made a lot of things work.
Old 27 July 2021, 03:22   #1266
redblade
Zone Friend

From the comp.sys.m68k faq which dates January 6/1996It advertises a 68020@16 PGA for $20USD on a California brochure probably in bulk as the Canadian price was $72.37CND for the same chip

obviously the http://motserv.indirect.com/cgi-bin/pg no longer works and I have not had much luck with wayback machine
Old 27 July 2021, 19:37   #1267
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by activist View Post
Banshee is overrated.
Blasphemy

Banshee is a superb game. A bit tough. There is a learning curve. But top quality overall.
Old 27 July 2021, 20:03   #1268
dreadnought

Quote:
~early Nineties PCs and consoles sucked~
I see that even after 64 pages this thread is still as bonkers as it was in the beginning.

Keep it up, folks
Old 27 July 2021, 20:19   #1269
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I love what this thread title does to anyone who posts in it when you see the summary on the index page

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic - carry on ...
Old 28 July 2021, 14:44   #1270
Glen M

My A1200 was the first Amiga I ever owned so I cant say I was ever disappointed and personally I never ran into the issue of games not working when swapping with friends who had the 500 or 600.

One thing I would throw out there though is that by having the 1200 as my first Amiga and getting used to AGA games I now find going back to my A500 with its pistorm disappointing since its got the pace but its missing the AGA and most software looking the pace wants the AGA. Does that make sense.
Old 29 July 2021, 00:17   #1271
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I now find going back to my A500 with its pistorm disappointing since its got the pace but its missing the AGA and most software looking the pace wants the AGA. Does that make sense.
Yes, that makes sense.

When I got my A1200 I immediately noticed the improvement with AGA compared to the A600, and even putting an 030 accelerator card in the A600 didn't help. I now have a Vampire in the A600 and use RTG almost exclusively. It's great for web browsing and compiling C code, but I still prefer the A1200 for general use.

My A500 is reserved for older stuff that won't run on my other Amigas. I started building a Terriblefire 030 board but haven't finished it because the 030 in my A1200 would still be better with AGA.
Old 01 August 2021, 03:31   #1272
freehand

The rose tinted glasses become thicker year by year.
Old 01 August 2021, 07:36   #1273
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
The rose tinted glasses become thicker year by year.
Not sure who or what you are referring to, but I use my A1200 for several hours every day programming, playing games, browsing the web and listening to music etc. Sometimes it stays on overnight playing mods to help me to get to sleep, then I get up at 3am to do programming, check out Aminet and read the latest posts on this board.

I have a large collection of vintage computers that I have lost interest in, and my other hobbies are being neglected. My glasses aren't just rose tinted, they are completely opaque to anything but the Amiga. Modern PCs leave me cold. Other retro platforms are frustrating and unsatisfying. Am I blinkered, addicted, besotted, insane? I can't describe my feelings for the Amiga, but one thing I know for sure - there are a lot of disappointing things in this world, and the A1200 isn't one of them.
Old 01 August 2021, 23:40   #1274
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Not sure who or what you are referring to, but I use my A1200 for several hours every day programming, playing games, browsing the web and listening to music etc. Sometimes it stays on overnight playing mods to help me to get to sleep, then I get up at 3am to do programming, check out Aminet and read the latest posts on this board.

I have a large collection of vintage computers that I have lost interest in, and my other hobbies are being neglected. My glasses aren't just rose tinted, they are completely opaque to anything but the Amiga. Modern PCs leave me cold. Other retro platforms are frustrating and unsatisfying. Am I blinkered, addicted, besotted, insane? I can't describe my feelings for the Amiga, but one thing I know for sure - there are a lot of disappointing things in this world, and the A1200 isn't one of them.
Can you post a pic of your A1200 set up please Bruce.

Thanks
Old 05 August 2021, 09:59   #1275
Mixel

I was definitely not disappointed at the time.. Absolutely loved it. At the time the amount of colours for graphic creation was amazing, and although the potential for AGA games went largely unrealised I really appreciated it when it was there.

With hindsight I wish things had gone differently and we’d seen an A3000-like (2MB chip) wedge before the A1200, and then that the A1200 itself had come with literally any amount of fast ram on board (1MB even would have been enough to drastically improve usability heading into the early internet era.)

I don’t think the A1200 should be saddled with “it should have been way more powerful” though, I mean, yeah maybe but at the time it wasn’t designed to be the final home Amiga, there could have been later 030, 040, even PPC wedges and set top boxes if Commodore hadn’t bollocksed everything up.

I never really had many problems with incompatible games either, maybe I Jess just lucky but we had a ton of games.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:17   #1276
khph_re

I remember Peter molyneux saying the A1200 was 6x faster...I was into imagine at the time, and I was disappointed with the rendering speed.
I didn't really understand bitplanes back then, and couldn't understand why more colours made the machine bog down.
2.5 HDD's were expensive, and the floppy should have been HD.
On the other hand...HAM8 was a thing of beauty, rendering to that was a joy. And some of the demo art in that mode is incredible. Uni Macs where 256 colour until we got power Macs.

It was easy to write to Mac and PC disks for Uni.
In fact my whole graphics design degree was done through a mac emulator on the A1200.
Multitasking was, and is, amazing on the Amiga. The way I work began on the Amiga.
The OS is a great, fun to mess around with and understand.
Amiga sound was still great in '92. My mate had a PC midi card, all awful built in sounds...sounded like an old mobile phone ringtone.

so the A1200 was a mixed bag for me...but while I sold my A4000T, and gave away my A4000, the old workhorse remains....although the sound has gone.
Old 06 August 2021, 02:47   #1277
lmimmfn

Controversial, but as a huge Amiga fan when i read reviews of the Atari Falcon, i wanted that but couldnt afford it.

Honestly the A1200 i got i was happy with, AGA games mostly sucked but i was more into DPaint and Imagine. Other than the colours it didnt seem any faster vs my A500 with extra 2 Meg Ram or a2000 with extra 8 Meg Ram and 18 Meg HD(also had 286 board but never used it).

Always felt it was inferior to the Falcon, i only cared about gfx at the time.
Old 07 August 2021, 13:37   #1278
matt3k

Yes, i was disappointed. I used on for a few months. It was accelerated and had a few goodies in it. It felt like a mess that needed reseating and was unstable for my needs.

I was using a 3000 with a retina blt and a warp engine 040@40mhz at the time and it worked perfectly for productivity. I tried a few aga games on the 1200 and they were ok.

If i was using my 500 at the time, I'm sure i would have used the 1200 more and felt differently. Used a 4000 a bit later and git rid of it also. Still prefer my 3k. I will say thatMOS on a fast Mac is turning into my daily driver.
Old 10 August 2021, 00:02   #1279
Foebane

One thing I've wondered about RTG: do AGA games and demos work in RTG at all, and if so, do they work more efficiently and look better?
Old 10 August 2021, 01:12   #1280
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
One thing I've wondered about RTG: do AGA games and demos work in RTG at all, and if so, do they work more efficiently and look better?
In general no, because AGA games and demos usually hit the hardware directly to get best performance.

The exception would be programs that use the OS for all rendering (or that have an option to select RTG, but I'm guessing you are not including those). These could see a speedup due to the wider video memory bandwidth of most RTG systems, though tempered by the need to convert from planar to chunky (how silly would it be to have a game or demo that renders in chunky mode and converts to planar, only to have the RTG convert it back to chunky!).

As to whether they would look better and be more 'efficient', that depends on what the RTG system is capable of. An AGA game might use an overscanned resolution that can't be matched in RTG. It might increase the number of colors using the Copper, or create transparency and layering effects using bitplanes. It might use sprites, split screen resolutions and other tricks to get an effect that could take a lot more time to render in RTG, on a screen that needs higher resolution and color depth. Ham8 images use less memory than the equivalent in 24 bit, so they don't need to be compressed to fit on a floppy disk etc.

Bottom line - even if you could get an AGA (only) game or demo to work properly in RTG it is probably highly optimized for AGA, so it could actually be slower and less efficient in RTG, particularly on 'lower-end' machines that don't have very fast CPUs and graphics systems.