English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 March 2024, 09:19   #1
kremiso

Amiga games that worth a replay on the PC counterpart?

hi guys
i have grabbed a couple of PC DOS games, from the Total DOS collection, just games that are also on Amiga

i would like to replay a couple of them also in the vga16 or better 256 colors vest (via DosBox)

atm im stuck with Megalomania, that it is working ok apart the era passwords
i have reached the second era in both the versions available, but the password given just doesnt work here

so i have installed the game from the original disks, but im searching the PC manual, that seems missing but ofc mandatory for the initial code check

anyone?
other titles that you think also worth a PC side replay?
Old 14 March 2024, 09:28   #2
Calabazam

Dune from Cryo - better with 256 colors, with various Adlib or Adlib Gold or even MT32 musics.
Old 14 March 2024, 09:34   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Anything from 1992 on is worth checking. Here's a post how to make MT-32 emulation work in DosBox: https://blog.zyrain.org/2016/11/rola...it-in-old.html
Old 14 March 2024, 10:18   #4
dreadnought

Few big un's from top off my head: Syndicate, Monkey Island (for gfx), Space Quest 4, possibly Beneath A Steel Sky.

For those few brave souls interested in SSI's Goldbox games, there's Goldbox Companion - a toolbox with many interesting features such as automap (though I'm trying to be hardcore and persevere with the graph paper...)

For manuals and extras, better grab exoDOS collection, it has it covered really well.
Old 14 March 2024, 10:44   #5
kremiso

forgot to say that im already ok with point n click adventures, being a long time ScummVM user

im interested to test the MT32 emulation via DosBox, if other games apart adventures offered that possibility

---
i have just solved the Megalomania issue, just copying the main exe from the Total DOS folder into the original install folder

btw it would be imo great to have also the original manual preserved, even more for the manual code protected games

ill check into the exoDOS too, i didnt know this
Old 14 March 2024, 11:12   #6
kremiso

i didnt expect Toyota Celica GT rally offering 256 colors and MT32

[ Show youtube player ]

not sure this worth a reply btw, i liked it on Amiga bitd, on pc the gfx seems too much cartoon style

Last edited by kremiso; 14 March 2024 at 11:35.
Old 14 March 2024, 11:15   #7
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Anything from 1992 on is worth checking.
Other than most 2D action games, and most games which got hard-drive-installable AGA versions, this is sadly true. There are any number of classics we all enjoyed on the Amiga that in truth were better experiences on a £1000 PC than a £400 Amiga, even if you had a hard drive too. Most point and clicks from maybe 1990 onwards, both Dunes, Syndicate, Frontier, F1GP, the Beholders (though the AGA remakes might change that?), Sim City 2000 as the Amiga version is pretty badly programmed, maybe UFO too, even something as Amiga-lead as The Settlers adds a Hi-res mode on the PC.

I'm ashamed to admit that, despite my username referencing my love of it, I didn't know Mega Lo Mania had a PC version.
Old 14 March 2024, 11:40   #8
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
...I'm ashamed to admit that, despite my username referencing my love of it, I didn't know Mega Lo Mania had a PC version.
im also an huge fan of this game
on PC there are a couple of config problems, mostly due to the first SoundBlaster models compatibility

but it is also great imo, and it does offers 256 colors too
Old 14 March 2024, 13:56   #9
Seiya

B.A.T. II it seems so much superior to Amiga version not only for colors;
Epic it is more complete in DOS version for some more cutscenes, more detailed and comprex graphics;
Fascination for DOS include more things that are cutted in Amiga version;

Toyota Celica for DOS is different if you choose EGA or VGA. in EGA is 100% 3D solid polygonal. in VGA is bitmap and cartoon style graphics
Old 15 March 2024, 11:11   #10
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
...Toyota Celica for DOS is different if you choose EGA or VGA. in EGA is 100% 3D solid polygonal. in VGA is bitmap and cartoon style graphics
it is an interesting difference
im using a compromise, VGA + houses building drawing disabled (F5 key)

and sfx instead of music
---

reached the 5th epoch in Megalomania

also just tried a bit some action games
Risky Woods and Crazy Cars 3 seems also good

the Lotus3 equivalent instead seems even worse than the miggy chapter, but i need to check it better
Old 15 March 2024, 11:44   #11
chip

Another World on PC is longer
Old 15 March 2024, 12:33   #12
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Another vote for syndicate. Plays exactly the same (bug for bug compatible) but has higher resolution in game.
Old 15 March 2024, 12:43   #13
chip

Lucas arts adventures also
Old 15 March 2024, 13:47   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

X-Com - Enemy Unknown. It was far better experience on DOS, even when compared with Amiga with HD. Still best to use OpenXCom.
Old 15 March 2024, 14:39   #15
Cherno

As mentioned, Syndicate is far superior on the PC. Color palette is similarly limited, but at least there are three or four color variants for the city graphics. Besides the higher resolution, another major added advantage to gameplay are the different graphics for all vehicles; no longer does an APC look like a random civilian car.

I found Cyber Empire / Steel Empires on the PC a bit nicer to play with the improved speed and added colors. Sadly, it lacks the voice samples from the Amiga version.
Old 15 March 2024, 17:16   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Dune from Cryo - better with 256 colors, with various Adlib or Adlib Gold or even MT32 musics.
I have a special place for the CD version. The voice acting is just so... early 90's. I love it. Bonus points for every line being recorded in an echo chamber.

"It's been DAYS seen we've last heard from you!". Sorry mister Fremen, I feel shame for abandoning you for so long.

Dune 2 and Legend of Kyrandia would also be my choices. Frank Klepacki really outdid most of the competition with the synthesized music on the PC making the best with what was available.
Old 15 March 2024, 23:25   #17
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Another vote for syndicate. Plays exactly the same (bug for bug compatible) but has higher resolution in game.
Note that the hires PC version is only 16 colors and the Amiga was supposed to have also an Hires version that was ditched, who knows why.
My guess is that they kept the hires version for an hypothetical (and announced pretty much everywhere IIRC) AGA version and finally decided to not release it.

Maxis didn't had any problem to release hires version of their games on the Amiga alongside the classical low res one, in the same package.
Old 15 March 2024, 23:46   #18
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
i didnt expect Toyota Celica GT rally offering 256 colors and MT32

[ Show youtube player ]

not sure this worth a reply btw, i liked it on Amiga bitd, on pc the gfx seems too much cartoon style
Eww! Yes i agree that looks awful! looks like a case of less is more!
Old 16 March 2024, 00:09   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Simon the Sorcerer II.
Old 16 March 2024, 17:59   #20
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Another World on PC is longer
but the original game is the Amiga tittle
they just added a pair of levels in the PC version just to make the game longer