English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 25 July 2007, 18:25   #1
WildW

Memory upgrade killed WHDLoad

Hi folks, have an odd problem, wonder if anyone's seen it before?

I'm using a regular boring A1200 with IDE hard disk and a 4MB memory expansion in the trapdoor, and the registered version of WHDLoad (16.7.4217) . Everything has been fine and groovy, games work without problems. Until today. . .

Today I swapped the 4MB SIMM in the memory expansion for an 8MB one. Workbench seems happy that I have 8MB (2,020,200 graphics mem 8,027,760 other mem), games work fine, but games installed with WHDLoad no longer work - not any of them. They all give the same error message

DOS-Error #103
(not enough memory available)
on loading "Lemmings.slave"

( or whatever game I try to load, obviously )

The memory expansion card has jumpers to set the memory size, and if I turn it down to 4mb, everything works again. So, I think the memory I bought is okay (8mb 72pin fast page mode - i.e. not EDO, SIMM)

Is this a problem with WHDLoad? Kickstart 3.0 not liking this much ram? Something else? Any ideas appreciated

Old 25 July 2007, 18:27   #2
Graham Humphrey

Does seem a strange problem - though we can safely rule out KS3 disliking that amount of RAM as I use a 32MB SIMM without any problems.

That's very weird, I've never seen anyone with this type of problem before...
Old 25 July 2007, 19:03   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Set your jumpers for 8MB again and get yourself a RAM test tool from Aminet to make sure... You could also try filling your RAM disk up and seeing if anything bad happens.

I used to have a dodgy simm in an accelerator and if i ever used more than X MB it would kill the computer.

But it just seems odd that you get memory shortage errors. IIRC there is a similar thread on EAB involving North&South and an 8MB expansion.

EDIT: This one in fact: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23017
Old 25 July 2007, 19:17   #4
WildW

Looks like it's just dodgy ram. . . tried filling the ram disk and it gurus after the first 3 megabytes or so. Guess I'll swap back to the old ram . . . not to worry, £2 on eBay wasn't too bad a gamble.

Out of interest, do you guys know what kind of simms should work okay? I bought fast page memory rather than EDO as I'd read on a forum somewhere that it was more likely to be compatible. I don't think my memory board has jumpers for more than 8mb so I think that's the limit for me without buying more expensive kit. . . really just wanted Worms DC to run a bit nicer. I guess I could buy a larger simm and just use 8MB of it?

Old 25 July 2007, 19:50   #5
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Yes, you can fit a larger simm and just use it as 8MB no problem. I don't think it matters too much what sort of simm you get really. Standard EDO is probably fine... I think it matters more when fitting multiple sticks that they all match.

Maybe someone else can comment on EDO/FPM simms?
Old 26 July 2007, 02:53   #6
pbareges

just in case : do you have anything attached to the pcmcia port (on the left side of your amiga) ? because it's gonna conflict with most of 8mbytes fastram cards when you use them above 4mbytes...
Old 26 July 2007, 11:08   #7
Graham Humphrey

That's a good shout - I once had an 8MB SIMM in a standard memory expansion and the PCMCIA port couldn't be read, though the memory worked fine but I guess it could easily be the other way round.
Old 26 July 2007, 21:36   #8
WildW

No, I wasn't using the PCMCIA slot at the time, but thanks for the idea. Will see if I can scrounge another SIMM from somewhere. . . to think of how many I must've thrown away all that time ago

Old 17 July 2008, 01:54   #9
kaosboss

Hi there

I had the same error code, with my 8Mb fast ram, but i was using a pcmcia card, guess what... i remove the pcmcia card and it works

Many thanks

Old 17 July 2008, 02:00   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You can't use a PCMCIA card with more than 4MB, they share the same memory address so conflict.
Old 18 July 2008, 12:18   #11
mrleeman

Quite a similar problem here... Got my A1200 delivered with a 4 MB RAM expansion card. Literally every WHDLoad game would crash immidiately, giving error messages such as "line exception..." etc. I used several memtest tools to make sure the RAM was fine: no errors found. However, after removing the RAM expansion card, WHDLoad works without a problem. What could be the cause for this? I was thinking about having it replaced by the seller, but how can I be sure that the replacement will work fine? The messy one doesn't seem to be defective after all. It's using Toshiba chips as far as I can tell.
Old 18 July 2008, 12:52   #12
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ leeman

Where are you in Manchester? I have some 30-pin and 72-pin memory to hand if you want to try another SIMM. PM me some details of the model of expansion you have and a phone number and I'll try to help you sort it out.
Old 19 July 2008, 14:01   #13
Wepl

have you tried option NoMemReverse?
Old 19 July 2008, 22:56   #14
mrleeman

@ Wepl:

Nope, but I'm going to give it a shot before sending the memory back. Thanks!
Old 07 August 2008, 14:51   #15
mrleeman

Is NoMemReverse in fact an option? WHDLoad quits saying "too many arguments" as soon as I add that option. I'm using version 16.8, which is the latest I think.

Now for the update: I finally received a replacement memory card and most of the problems are now gone! However, most AGA games still crash giving cryptic error messages, for example Aladdin, Brian the Lion, The Chaos Engine 2 (the game itself complains about a serious error unpacking files), Super Stardust, James Pond 2 & 3. These games usually boot and then crash after a couple of seconds. The farest I got was the main menus... To make matters even worse, a couple of OCS games now also crap out, e.g. Ruff'n'Tumble (crashes during the loading screen before level 1), Uridium 2.

I tried with and without AllocMemReverse. It didn't make any difference. All games were run with a minimalistic startup-sequence, which only assigns ENV: and T: to RAM: and runs SetPatch as well as Avail FLUSH.

I really need help with this. Can't work out what's the problem.

Liam
Old 07 August 2008, 14:54   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

NoMemReverse is a global switch. You can activate it in s:WHDLoad.prefs.
Old 07 August 2008, 15:26   #17
mrleeman

Alright, tried it. It didn't change a thing
Old 07 August 2008, 19:06   #18
mrleeman

Hmm, this is so strange... Using WHDLoad under Workbench makes the issue go away... Too bad, I like AGS. What could be the reason for all that trouble?
Old 08 August 2008, 19:29   #19
Eclipse
Turpentine

I have one of those 8MB ram expansions although I only have 4MB at the moment.
I will see if I can get some memory and maybe help out.
Old 09 August 2008, 12:18   #20
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Are you using an MTEC A1200 expansion card ? Check it, if yes, that's could be the reasonof your problems.....