English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 13 July 2024, 18:57   #1
lifeschool
Local Moderator

[WIP] Crysis Prototype

Hello,

I'm currently making three games, Trans-Pennine Express Simulator, HAMmurabi, and also a Crysis Prototype. I say Prototype, because gameplay is very unlikely to extend beyond a few minutes of play, and its more a visual representation of the feel of Crysis, rather than a conversion of the actual game. Its basicaly a pop-up shooter wrapped around some live video clips of the game.

Is anybody interested in play-testing the game for me?

I'm almost ready to release a beta build; which I have never done before; but I thought it would be fun to get some feedback on my little demo. It was all made with CanDo.

As Lemon Amiga would be my natural habitat, I'm not used to posting threads and maintaining them on EAB, but needs must at the moment.

I still need to localise the directories of the build to wherever the game is installed to your hard drive, as currently everything has direct paths linked to files on my hard drive. I've already fixed the menu program, and it works locally, so just the main game to fix now... which will take a few days.

The beta is not 'ready' or 'finished', but it is playable.

You can follow my progress here:
https://lifeschool22.itch.io/crysis-...teractive-demo

Last edited by lifeschool; 13 July 2024 at 20:36.
Old 14 July 2024, 19:13   #2
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Here is the first Beta test version of my game.

There are still a few issues with the game. Maybe you can report any things which seem bad?

I welcome all suggestions, but really there is not much to add except fix the later enemy patters and maybe add a game over screen of the player lying on their back at the end of the explosion cut scene. The quit back to menu is also not working.

I dont know if the game boots in to DOS or in to the Menu in this version.If the menu comes up, click Quit
and try to launch it again.

There is an HDD launcher scripts still, but it is only necessary to use it once. After that you can just run the executables.

The game is now 70% done. The game also needs 500MB HDD space and maybe 5MB of Ram??

https://lifeschool22.itch.io/crysis-...teractive-demo

Last edited by lifeschool; 14 July 2024 at 20:29.
Old 14 July 2024, 19:32   #3
Seiya

i will try
Old 14 July 2024, 20:11   #4
Seiya

nice, you have made a very good things. it's very similar Maddog Mcree, Area 51 with nice movie between one scene and the other.
Old 14 July 2024, 20:33   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
nice, you have made a very good things. it's very similar Maddog Mcree, Area 51 with nice movie between one scene and the other.

Thanks. Glad to hear things are working. Did the menu come up straight away when you first run the HDD launcher?

Yes I guess it is very similar to a laser disc. Unfortunately I cant layer anything over the videos, so I cant make a true FireFox clone.
Old Yesterday, 09:27   #6
Seiya

when i launched "HDD" is started with movie. Then close everyting. To start the game i used icon "crysis".
Old Yesterday, 10:01   #7
dreadnought

Technically it's quite nice, but I must admit the "gameplay" section falls a bit short. It'd really help if there were at least few targets to choose from, or maybe if they were better hidden (thinking a la Lost Patrol here).
Old Yesterday, 14:33   #8
lifeschool
Local Moderator

It is disappointing to hear the HDD launcher is broken. What happens if you launch the menu directly?

I've now written a quick menu tool, and have uploaded it to the itch downloads. Copy the tool and icon to the main folder of wherever you installed Crysis.

The tool has a Workbench GUI, and performs the same functions as the menu, but without the fancy interface. You dont need to run the HDD launcher before you run the tool, but it helps, because the game fonts are not pathed otherwise. So you might load up the Full menu or run the Game and notice the fonts are broken? Of course you could get around this by installing the Consenced60 font to your Fonts:, and I will later write a different solution rather than assign the Crysis/fonts as a new path; because running the launcher will add the same path over and over each time it is run (at the moment).

Gameplay is not really going to be very good. If I hid the enemies and just had a gun flash, this would work after the Hummer road section. But it might appear a bit cheap if you cant see them? If the gun flashes were on the beach section, then they might seem disembodied, and look bad? I think after the road section, it would be a good idea to randomly place enemies, rather than have fixed locations? Having multiple enemies on screen is not possible with the way I wrote the hit detection, as it is only looking for one hit box. I think it would get overwhelming with multiple enemies, and the health would also take a massive hit (X2, X3 etc) from each enemy on screen.

Last edited by lifeschool; Yesterday at 15:13.
Old Yesterday, 15:22   #9
Seiya

yes, quick menu is very good.
however is very big ambitious project.
Old Yesterday, 16:29   #10
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
yes, quick menu is very good.
however is very big ambitious project.

Not really, the demo is just that. It is meant to end after the binoculars video, as that's all I recorded of the game. Otherwise it might take another 500mb per section, and I wanted this project to at least fit on a normal 880mb CD size if possible. (So we can have Crysis running on the CDTV.)

Maybe we can hid the extra guys in Easy mode, and just have gun flashes over the enemy shown in the video? That way it would seem like a seemless movie?

Last edited by lifeschool; Yesterday at 16:40.
Old Today, 02:32   #11
Seiya

however, what you have done is almost good. I think that certain type of games Amiga is not the perfect machine to do them.
Old Today, 15:21   #12
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I realised today that the enemies pop upward to cover the gun flash, and the gun flash then pops up to appear over the enemy; to save me doing a full screen refresh with every loop of the gun. So if I took out the enemy, the gun flash would need a full screen redraw each time, and probably slow the game down.?

I am thinking it would be much better to have a delayed random pop-up of enemies on the second section of the game. That would add some tension, like a firing range, as the player would have to get ready for a random enemy, and they cant just memorise the pattern like they can in the first section....

Last edited by lifeschool; Today at 15:30.
Old Today, 16:43   #13
Seiya

i notice, but could be my config, that sometimes when i fire at enemy i see a little animation, sometimes no. it is a thing that you prepared or depending of configuration.
i tried in WinUAE with maximun cpu speed (but without jit)