English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 21 December 2014, 12:09   #1
Sparticle

Flickering problem

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a Flappy bird clone on classic amiga. I want the game to be played inside a moveable window attatched to a custom screen. For the bird Im using a simple hardware sprite. the background is using an Image structure and the floor which is drawn on top of the background is also an Image struture. I wanted to use an Image instead of sprites for simplicity. Everything is working ok except the floor flickers as its being drawn.

Is there an easy way to do a double buffer using intuition usig the DrawImage() method?

p.s. here's a version I wrote in js http://natashaz-place.bugs3.com
Just wanted to see if I can do similar on amiga
Thanks
Old 21 December 2014, 14:37   #2
Hewitson

Not able to offer much advice regarding the programming but why would you use a moveable window instead of having the game fullscreen?
Old 22 December 2014, 09:07   #3
Sparticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Not able to offer much advice regarding the programming but why would you use a moveable window instead of having the game fullscreen?
I just wanted to do it differently. Most games don't use a window so I thought it would be good if you can have the game running and still do other tasks at the same time.
Old 22 December 2014, 16:07   #4
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticle View Post
I just wanted to do it differently. Most games don't use a window so I thought it would be good if you can have the game running and still do other tasks at the same time.
But if you're running the game on it's own screen you can do that anyway. The window serves no purpose.
Old 22 December 2014, 16:49   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticle View Post
Is there an easy way to do a double buffer using intuition usig the DrawImage() method?
Set up a temporary bitmap using AllocBitMap, InitRastPort. Then draw into this temp bitmap/rastport and when you are done, blit it into the window using BltBitMapRastPort.

Be warned that an off-screen rastport does not do automatic clipping, so make sure that you don't draw outside of the bitmap's storage.
Old 23 December 2014, 04:12   #6
Sparticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
But if you're running the game on it's own screen you can do that anyway. The window serves no purpose.
Yes true, but you wouldn't be able to position the game where you like on the screen.
Old 23 December 2014, 04:19   #7
Sparticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Set up a temporary bitmap using AllocBitMap, InitRastPort. Then draw into this temp bitmap/rastport and when you are done, blit it into the window using BltBitMapRastPort.

Be warned that an off-screen rastport does not do automatic clipping, so make sure that you don't draw outside of the bitmap's storage.
Thanks for that its now working nicely
Had me baffled for a while though as it was just painting a blank window
This was down to the last parameter of the BltBitMapRastPort method as I was just passing it a 0 instead of 0xC0 for a straight copy.

Thanks