English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 June 2021, 12:05   #741
Jope
-

WB 1.3(.3) boot hangs under 3.2 ROMs after it fails to mount pipe:
Old 24 June 2021, 12:06   #742
rabidgerry

Quick questions about 3.2 and formatting newly created partitions.

So normally I install PFS3AIO. This time I just went with what was provided from the install disk of 3.2. Has the FFS been improved or am I better off installing PFS3AIO as I have done before?

Also I used to have to manually format partitions to accept long file names also, do I need to do that with OS 3.2?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 June 2021, 12:38   #743
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
WB 1.3(.3) boot hangs under 3.2 ROMs after it fails to mount pipe:
PIPE: is already mounted by ROM as otherwise you couldn't use the pipe character in the startup-sequence.
Old 24 June 2021, 15:35   #744
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I don't know if anyone cares but someone has had a closer look at the AmigaOS 3.2 CDTV Extended ROM v47.1

It is quite surprising but all that appears to have changed (vs the old Commodore v2.7 ROM) is:
  • The text in exec which says something like "Copyright Commodore" has been changed to "Copyright Hyperion"
  • The version number in cdstrap has been changed from 2.7 to 47.1
That appears to be it. (Yes really!)

So if you already have 2.7 (or 2.30) there is no need to spend time or money fitting the AmigaOS 3.2 CDTV Extended ROMs. (I feel sorry for those who already have.)

It is possible that Hyperion made these changes from the source code and are now in a good place to be able to compile bug-fixed CDTV Extended ROMs in the future. But the modules are identical byte-for-byte. I suppose it could mean they had identical versions of all the tools? But more likely it means they were hand-edited using ROMSPLIT+REMUS+HEXEDIT :-(

I thank all contributors to AmigaOS 3.2 and I know the CDTV stuff was "unsupported" but why include it at all?
Old 25 June 2021, 12:25   #745
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Quick questions about 3.2 and formatting newly created partitions.

So normally I install PFS3AIO. This time I just went with what was provided from the install disk of 3.2. Has the FFS been improved or am I better off installing PFS3AIO as I have done before?

Also I used to have to manually format partitions to accept long file names also, do I need to do that with OS 3.2?

Thanks in advance.
FFS has not changed much, long file name support is provided for higher level FFS versions. So PFS or SFS could be more interesting for some cases.
Old 25 June 2021, 12:32   #746
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I don't know if anyone cares but someone has had a closer look at the AmigaOS 3.2 CDTV Extended ROM v47.1
I thank all contributors to AmigaOS 3.2 and I know the CDTV stuff was "unsupported" but why include it at all?
First, not everyone has the needed roms, you get them provided.
It's experimental, for those that wish to tinker with it, find bugs, solutions, report their findings. When more knowledge is accumulated, a more complete update can be provided and changes applied to fix known issues. Also note it might be difficult to change things since the hardware expansions could assume many things to be as is from 1991 and fail, and we hope to support as much hardware as possible without introducing incompatibilities even if it's not our fault, but someone, sometime in the past made not so right decisions.
Old 25 June 2021, 12:46   #747
CrazyPepsi

How about a step by step guide how to install os 3.2 on winauae with a harddisk
there are alot of newbies out there that buyed the cd who not hang around forums everyday just a tip im still waiting for my cd
Old 25 June 2021, 13:45   #748
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPepsi View Post
there are a lot of newbies out there that buyed the cd who not hang around forums everyday just a tip im still waiting for my cd
There should be plenty of videos and guides how to setup WinUAE for 3.x, installing 3.2 is also covered by many reviews on youtube.

In general, the process should be fairly simple, put a new rom in winuae dir, ask it to create a dir or hardfile, feed it the cd/image or floppy adf's, and you are good. A1200 model is probably the best choice to start with.
Then finish the install with P96 for rtg support. Should take a few minutes when you know your way.

Last edited by Michael; 25 June 2021 at 14:04.
Old 25 June 2021, 19:41   #749
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPepsi View Post
there are alot of newbies out there that buyed the cd who not hang around forums everyday just a tip im still waiting for my cd
If you'll excuse the self promotion, I wrote a step by step guide here.

https://amigadventures.tumblr.com/po...impressions-so
Old 25 June 2021, 19:52   #750
crazyc

I see lots of comments about installing p96 with the native driver for those without rtg cards.
I don't suppose there is an idiots guide to exactly what that entails... (yes I have bought the latest p96)
Cheers...
Old 25 June 2021, 20:29   #751
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
I see lots of comments about installing p96 with the native driver for those without rtg cards.
I don't suppose there is an idiots guide to exactly what that entails... (yes I have bought the latest p96)
Cheers...
The full installation instructions are in the native driver package on aminet - good news is that it's super easy

http://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/Native

Code:
Install P96. You may select a graphics card for installation as well
if you like, but any such driver is not needed. After installation of
P96, just remove the Picasso96 driver from DEVS:Monitors if you do not
have a graphics card.

Drag the icon included in this distribution into DEVS:Monitors and ensure
that it is loaded during the startup-sequence. For the standard system
setup, this will happen automatically.

You do not need any other programs or any further configuration.
Old 25 June 2021, 20:55   #752
CaptFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It is possible that Hyperion made these changes from the source code and are now in a good place to be able to compile bug-fixed CDTV Extended ROMs in the future. But the modules are identical byte-for-byte. I suppose it could mean they had identical versions of all the tools? But more likely it means they were hand-edited using ROMSPLIT+REMUS+HEXEDIT :-(
I don't believe ROMSplit or Remus were even used. The CDTV ROM on the Amiga OS 3.2 CD has all the hallmarks of a sloppy hex edit:
  • The exec revision number has been bumped from 201 to 202 in the IdString (the text bit that you can easily spot with a hex editor), but whoever did that forgot to increase the actual revision number at offset $10. It still reports 0025 00c9, which is 37.201 (see attached screenshot), just like the original 2.7 ROM from Commodore that this ROM is based on.
  • The altered copyright notice is padded with spaces to make up for the shorter text.
  • The ROM checksum is faulty. The Commodore 2.7 ROM also has a faulty checksum, but this ROM has the exact same faulty checksum value.

I also struggle to find the purpose of these edits. I sure hope nobody paid for this CD just for the CDTV ROM.

I attached a screenshot of all the differences between the Commodore 2.7 ROM and the CDTV ROM on the Amiga OS 3.2 CD. The alterations are marked in red. This is xxd output, fed into vimdiff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 20.14.14.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	72379  
Old 25 June 2021, 22:26   #753
crazyc

@indigolemon cheers.
I think that is what I have done i wasn't sure how to check it was working....

Last edited by crazyc; 25 June 2021 at 23:22.
Old 25 June 2021, 23:42   #754
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Edit copyright information and mark it as a new version is a bit lame.
Old 25 June 2021, 23:53   #755
crazyc

I am not sure if this is something I have set up or a default, but when I put in a music cd I get the following screen.
Now when I click on the cdda one, the cd just starts playing with no app open. Nonidea where that is coming from. I have to open acdb play (the music app i use) manually.
I would like to do a few things:
1. I would like to change the icon for the cdda but I cannot select the icon from the right click menu, nor can i find a def icon file.
I would also like that if a music cd goes in only the cdda icon shows up, but I don't want to break it if a non cdda disc is put in. (If that makes sense)
Old 26 June 2021, 13:02   #756
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Edit copyright information and mark it as a new version is a bit lame.
Lame or not, it is a legal requirement on all ROMs.

The CDTV Extended ROM is not different in that sense.

Most retail CDTV where sold with the CDTV Extended ROMs 1.0 which do do not support any 3.?? AmigaOS Kickstart ROM, so these new ROMs are there for users to be able to upgrade, nothing more.
Old 26 June 2021, 19:06   #757
fc.studio
Cat lover

Hi everyone. I'm just back, but I don't understand about the new OS3.2: is this better than older OS 3.5/3.9?
Old 26 June 2021, 19:08   #758
crazyc

Basically, yes.
Old 26 June 2021, 19:38   #759
fc.studio
Cat lover

I've A1200 with Blizzard 1230/IV 32MB and OS3.9 installed on CompactFlash. Would you replace it with OS3.2? Mainly I would like the ligther and faster OS... What would you suggest?
Old 26 June 2021, 19:44   #760
crazyc

I would buy a spare cf and and install 3.2 on that. It feels a bit sparse at first so allow yourself time to set it up, especially if you are coming from cwb for example.
I was running cwb 3.9 on my checkmate a1200 with b1230. I still have the card and setup as I extracted a few apps and icons from it, but now its just a spare backup and 3.2 is my daily driver although my setup is evolving each day.