English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 02 May 2012, 19:02   #1
clebin

Smile Hello from Cardiff

Just a quick 'hello', and a couple of questions!

I've been a fairly regular poster on Amigaworld or Aros-Exec but not the classic Amiga forums. I've never had space for an Amiga in my flat and emulation never quite hit the spot for me (especially on the Mac). In the next few weeks I'm moving house and I finally have a permanent desk spot waiting for my A1200! At the moment, my Amigas are sat in boxes in my parents house. Occasionally I'll try to use them awkwardly on whatever surface I can find and remind myself how bad the TV modulator is, how my mouse doesn't work properly any more, or how half my disks don't load or need "Page 32 Line 4 Word 12" from a manual that's buried in another box...

My most beloved Amiga was an A500+ with GVP HD8+/52mb and a bunch of other random hardware. That was my main computer until I got a Mac in '97. I bought an A1200 a couple of years ago, along with Kickstart 3.1 and a network card, but it's never had much use. To celebrate the impending move, I've decided to buy some new goodies: an ACA-1231/42 accelerator, Indivision AGA Mk2 and CF adapter.

None of this is assembled yet, but I'm pretty excited about it! Despite playing with AROS, I'll be a bit of a newbie at the Amiga again, so a couple of questions:

* Can I install OS 3.9 from Amiga Forever on my real Amiga? I'm hoping I can install it on WinUAE, lha/zip the whole filesystem, FTP it to the A1200 and dump it over 3.0.

* When I install the CF adapter over the Indivision, do I need to keep the two apart, or will the CF adapter be happy just dangling about from the IDE cable as I see in photos? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

So, hello again. Already found loads of useful and interesting stuff on here!

Chris
Old 02 May 2012, 19:03   #2
amigakit.com

Hello from Cardiff too.
Old 02 May 2012, 19:08   #3
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Hello from Cardiff too.
Thanks mate! You can guess where the Indivision AGA is coming from! I should just come and pick it up really!

Chris

Last edited by clebin; 02 May 2012 at 19:25.
Old 02 May 2012, 22:55   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Just a quick 'hello', and a couple of questions!
Hi Chris, and welcome to EAB!

Quote:
* Can I install OS 3.9 from Amiga Forever on my real Amiga? I'm hoping I can install it on WinUAE, lha/zip the whole filesystem, FTP it to the A1200 and dump it over 3.0.
If you put it like that, yes, as long as it has 3.1 ROMs and you've installed the 1231 accelerator and some FastRAM first.

Quote:
* When I install the CF adapter over the Indivision, do I need to keep the two apart, or will the CF adapter be happy just dangling about from the IDE cable as I see in photos? (sorry if this is a stupid question)
If in doubt, just secure a small, clear polythene bag around it. That should stop it making connection with anything it shouldn't.
Old 03 May 2012, 01:12   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Thanks mate! You can guess where the Indivision AGA is coming from! I should just come and pick it up really!

Chris
Hello from Card.....erm Barry, .
Old 03 May 2012, 08:36   #6
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Another one in Cardiff... Me!
Old 03 May 2012, 12:50   #7
clebin

@Coagulus, FOL

Cheers both! Seems there's lots of Amiga people in the area!

@prowler

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Workbench 3.9 shouldn't be a problem - the KS3.1 ROMs are already installed and I'll have the 030/64mb in place by then... Exciting!

Chris