English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 08 August 2021, 19:07   #1861
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brknck View Post
Someone was crazy enough to buy it. Went for 7,999

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174845205...p2471758.m4703
wtf! That's crazy, even the Nyx went for less.. although that was some time ago now.
Old 08 August 2021, 19:34   #1862
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
wtf! That's crazy, even the Nyx went for less.. although that was some time ago now.
I think well done to the seller, at the end of the day if the buyer is happy and the seller is also happy then everyone is happy :-)
Old 08 October 2021, 23:20   #1863
Screechstar

Wasn't sure whether to mention this but if anyone is going to make a good investment on a very modified A1200 on eBay UK right now - do check the pictures carefully as there's one with a capacitor installed with the polarity wrong, which I think is for audio power decoupling.

I was just drooling over it and checking my (empty) wallet, when I spotted it.
I would hate to see a lovely unit risk having issues which could be prevented, so I'm hoping the seller tells the buyer or repairs it before sale. They are aware of it.
Old 09 October 2021, 03:31   #1864
Jpor
Banned

Looks like you hadn’t had something better to do Screechstar but troll eBay sellers and not be a buyer. You do realise that the platform is for buying and selling Be interesting to note what electronics credentials you have as well to make that call. Unless you have your Amiga boards recapped by someone else’s standards and think that’s correct

Hope you don’t sell on EBay and some Time waster picks up on what you’re selling is wrong. You do realise you can easily piss off people and get your eBay account published to other EBay sellers to shun you.

Last edited by Jpor; 09 October 2021 at 03:55.
Old 09 October 2021, 09:51   #1865
Screechstar

Wow, that was way more of an abrasive reply than I was even imagining could happen! Are you the seller - that would make sense!

So now, feeling like I’m having to justify myself - I was originally looking for a1200 parts and maybe computers if there was a deal. When I see an amazing Amiga pop up, I could’t help myself but check it out. I think that’s part of being an enthusiast isn’t it?

And if you spot something that could be bad do you just walk away and pretend nothing happened? A buyer (could have been me, you knew nothing of my intentions) could buy that and have a Big Bang if that cap gets too hot and an expensive surprise. As a seller of my old gubbins, I’d rather know than be ignorant of an issue I could have prevented. We all make mistakes when recapping our boards or in general - it’s how these are dealt with that’s important.

I was very clear in my intentions - I don’t want to see another a1200 go pop and some poor buyer regret a BIG investment!

And yes, I’m assuming the silk screen on the board is not mis-printed, which commodore has done before, but I don’t have to justify myself to you regarding my electronic background. The board shows the polarity. The cap shows the polarity. If the two don’t match it’s pretty clear to me it’s backwards.

EDIT: forgot to say, I've just recapped 2x A1200 motherboards so know these reasonably well and had copies of the original motherboard images to hand (with correct revision) from the bigbookofamigahardware website, hence the cap just jumped out to me as wrong when I saw it.

Last edited by Screechstar; 09 October 2021 at 11:38. Reason: Added edit bit at the end
Old 09 October 2021, 10:11   #1866
Screechstar

Uurgh… long replies here, but… yes, I’ve put the seller in an ethical quandary as they knew of no issue before and now they have to decide to leave it and not care, or do something. And it was me that kicked up this stink and poke my nose in, but that’s why I didn’t leave any links in the message - let the informed make their own decision and take their own point of view.

Last edited by Screechstar; 09 October 2021 at 10:11. Reason: Grammar issues!
Old 09 October 2021, 13:39   #1867
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screechstar View Post
Uurgh… long replies here, but… yes, I’ve put the seller in an ethical quandary as they knew of no issue before and now they have to decide to leave it and not care, or do something. And it was me that kicked up this stink and poke my nose in, but that’s why I didn’t leave any links in the message - let the informed make their own decision and take their own point of view.
Not the seller. But have had time wasters like you in the past. If you ain’t going to buy from a seller then personally I’d let it go. I take it you don’t sell on eBay as well? I hope you aren’t the type to cause trouble for other sellers? But sell items as “Not tested” but show them for sale on carpets or other type of material that causes Static-electricity?
Anyways. Lesson here is before posting on a forum or harassing eBay sellers. I would personally have a think first before becoming a Keyboard warrior. Especially if you too sell on EBay. It’s bad enough trying to sell goods when you have time wasters like you with nothing better to do. I hope that seller has passed on your details to others on EBay so they can avoid you.
Old 09 October 2021, 14:21   #1868
Screechstar

Ah, yes… you are the seller or know of the seller as that comment about static pertains directly to an eBay message I got in return from that seller and there’s only one way you’d reply like that, and that’s if you knew of, or wrote that message.

Look - I apologise, I really do! I’ve never sent a message to a seller before unless it regards something I was in the process of buying and I for sure won’t be doing it again after this! Jeez! Haha!

Believe me, my intentions were in the interest of that awesome computer(which I honestly wish I could justify to myself right now but pay day has not yet arrived) and this Amiga community, as the buyer will no doubt be looking forward that amazing nostalgia kick or make a serious commitment to their collection and love using it!

The a1200’s are awesome… and getting rarer and I almost put that same cap in back to front when I recapped my board. It happens!

Do I know what’ll happen if that cap is not replaced… no idea! It could run for years and be fine and it wasn’t mine to judge others by my standards, I apologise. Similarly it could go pop as they honestly can do when back to front - that’s the fear that drove me.
I also only sell on eBay for clearing my ol’ junk, not as a business, which puts more pressure on making a profit, which is totally understandable.

And regarding the static issue… I’ve already messaged the buyer of the floppy drive to say we’ll sort something out if it doesn’t work! And yeah I took a risk with the eBay pic but I was wearing a grounded wrist strap and the sheets I put it on are 100% cotton and that’s neutral to static as far as I understand.
Old 09 October 2021, 14:25   #1869
Paul_s

Quote:
Ah, yes… you are the seller or know of the seller as that comment about static pertains directly to an eBay message I got in return from that seller and there’s only one way you’d reply like that, and that’s if you knew of, or wrote that message.

Look - I apologise, I really do! I’ve never sent a message to a seller before unless it regards something I was in the process of buying and I for sure won’t be doing it again after this! Jeez! Haha!

Believe me, my intentions were in the interest of that awesome computer(which I honestly wish I could justify to myself right now but pay day has not yet arrived) and this Amiga community, as the buyer will no doubt be looking forward that amazing nostalgia kick or make a serious commitment to their collection and love using it!

The a1200’s are awesome… and getting rarer and I almost put that same cap in back to front when I recapped my board. It happens!

Do I know what’ll happen if that cap is not replaced… no idea! It could run for years and be fine and it wasn’t mine to judge others by my standards, I apologise. Similarly it could go pop as they honestly can do when back to front - that’s the fear that drove me.
I also only sell on eBay for clearing my ol’ junk, not as a business, which puts more pressure on making a profit, which is totally understandable.

And regarding the static issue… I’ve already messaged the buyer of the floppy drive to say we’ll sort something out if it doesn’t work! And yeah I took a risk with the eBay pic but I was wearing a grounded wrist strap and the sheets I put it on are 100% cotton and that’s neutral to static as far as I understand.
If Jpor is the seller of said item on fleabay... then the wrong orientation of the capacitor more than explains their illogical behaviour in this thread
Old 09 October 2021, 14:38   #1870
Jpor
Banned

Quote:

Funnily enough I do know the seller. As he has contacted a few of us to make us aware of you. Oh and it has been pointed out to me you are too selling a Amiga A600 with the terms “Everything Re-capped ” but the picture I’ve been shown shows a motherboard recapped by “Retropassion” with certain caps hidden or not shown on the supposedly recapped PSU and Floppy drive.
Lesson here. Get your own house in order before trying to call out someone else’s.
Enough said now blocked Ebayer
Old 09 October 2021, 14:45   #1871
Screechstar

err…but they have all been recapped.

EDIT: ok, I’m tapping-out here and will be off this forum for a while to give space to all involved here. My bad… overstepping the mark and no one needs eBay police. Just got a bit overzealous with what I thought was the right thing to do! Cheers ya’ll and adios!

Last edited by Screechstar; 09 October 2021 at 15:52. Reason: Tapping-out
Old 09 October 2021, 22:08   #1872
Paul_s

Quote:
err…but they have all been recapped.

EDIT: ok, I’m tapping-out here and will be off this forum for a while to give space to all involved here. My bad… overstepping the mark and no one needs eBay police. Just got a bit overzealous with what I thought was the right thing to do! Cheers ya’ll and adios!
You haven't done anything wrong! Ever feel like you've entered the Twilight Zone?
Old 10 October 2021, 12:49   #1873
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
You haven't done anything wrong! Ever feel like you've entered the Twilight Zone?
He did! He tried to spark a flame war from where he tried to start one over on EBay with a seller. As he wasn’t getting any joy over there, tried to entice one over here. In other words, not got anything better to do.
Old 13 October 2021, 12:49   #1874
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

Amiga Business Plan - 1984 (copy)

Need to see the original Amiga business plan?

A copy (not the original) is up on ebay. Dated 1984.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/203648627348

Interesting bit of nostalgia….

Last edited by brknck; 14 October 2021 at 01:10. Reason: Fix a typo in the date :-/
Old 13 October 2021, 12:57   #1875
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brknck View Post
Need to see the original Amiga business plan?

A copy (not the original) is up on ebay. Dated 1984.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/203648627348

Interesting bit of nostalgia….
This would be good scanned and put up on archive.org... :-)
Old 11 January 2022, 21:08   #1876
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Mysterious Amiga game... 'BROADSIDE'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124832535...4AAOSwrKFhBRBT

Anyone know what this is? Says on the box 'Amiga/ST'
Old 09 April 2022, 15:53   #1877
ScottC2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Mysterious Amiga game... 'BROADSIDE'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124832535...4AAOSwrKFhBRBT

Anyone know what this is? Says on the box 'Amiga/ST'
There was a broadsides game for the c64/apple2:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/broadsides-4mk

but there is also a board game just called broadside:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/505369/broadside
Old 11 May 2022, 20:41   #1878
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Non-Functional Blizzard PPC

Hell of an Advert with almost mind boggling demands.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394065747...kAAOSwqm5iMLVp

Whatever happened to Free Enterprise!?
Old 11 May 2022, 20:58   #1879
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Hell of an Advert with almost mind boggling demands.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394065747...kAAOSwqm5iMLVp

Whatever happened to Free Enterprise!?
With that description I'm 99% sure that card is probably buggered
Old 11 May 2022, 21:39   #1880
amigang

Selling a few Amiga items and more on eBay, amiga addict issue 10, civilisations, colonisations, Amiga floppy disks and other stuff like ps3 games etc. have a look.
https://ebay.co.uk/usr/ngamiga

All money raised will likely go into buying more Amiga stuff