English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 15 April 2020, 22:16   #1
pngcan

GR.A.C 2.0 Manual

Hello, I started a game about 20 years ago with Edmund Clay's Grac2.0 (Geo's Quest 2 - unfinished version on Aminet) but live happened and never got back to it. I'm retired now and would like to finish it and do some more, but I can't find my Grac 2 manual and don't remember the commands. I can't find one anywhere on the net. Anyone have a scanned or txt copy of one? Greatly appreciate any help. Paul
Old 15 April 2020, 23:49   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Did you check this : http://aminet.net/package/game/role/GRAC2 ?
The archive contains a "Docs" folder

(http://dto-software.freeservers.com/amiga.htm)
Old 16 April 2020, 00:37   #3
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngcan View Post
...would like to finish it and do some more
Looking forward to some Amiga point'n'click goodness!
Old 16 April 2020, 21:50   #4
pngcan

that's it my friend, thanks very much.
Old 16 April 2020, 22:05   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Hello, I started a game about 20 years ago with Edmund Clay's Grac2.0 (Geo's Quest 2 - unfinished version on Aminet)
Trying to search aminet but can not find your game
Old 16 April 2020, 23:06   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Trying to search aminet but can not find your game
Isn't it this one ? http://aminet.net/package/game/role/GQ2

(I have read somewhere that there is maybe a virus in the archive - check it before unpacking)
Old 17 April 2020, 08:29   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Ah, thank you. No wonder I couldn't find it
Old 17 April 2020, 11:48   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

You are welcome
Old 17 April 2020, 17:19   #9
pngcan

Yes that's the game GQ2. It's a big game, about 90 rooms, anims, sounds, puzzles. Virus in the archive? There shouldn't be, I uploaded it from my iMac at the time. The game is somewhat buggy as some of the scripts need work. That is what I would like to fix now. It sat for about 5 years unfinished and then I uploaded it sometime in 2007 assuming I would never get to it and hoped a Grac user would. Thanks for your help malko much appreciated friend.
Old 18 April 2020, 13:18   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ No problem
Old 09 May 2020, 01:30   #11
pngcan

I downloaded the GQ2 file from Aminet and ran AVG and it found no threats so I researched the issue about a virus, it appears the GracPlayer file, which is the actual Grac engine has/had a "Happy" virus. Oddly, GQ2 was done on my A1200 back then with the Grac2.0 I bought from F1, so the Happy virus (no actual threat) must have been on the F1 disk I bought in 98 or 99. Oh well......I have started GQ3 "Gateway to Nowhere" I'm having a blast learning the program again, and I am working on bug fixes on GQ2. Man I forgot how big that game is...90 rooms, hundreds and hundreds of scripts. YIKES!
Old 09 May 2020, 07:50   #12
manossg

Quote:
I downloaded the GQ2 file from Aminet and ran AVG and it found no threats so I researched the issue about a virus, it appears the GracPlayer file, which is the actual Grac engine has/had a "Happy" virus. Oddly, GQ2 was done on my A1200 back then with the Grac2.0 I bought from F1, so the Happy virus (no actual threat) must have been on the F1 disk I bought in 98 or 99. Oh well......I have started GQ3 "Gateway to Nowhere" I'm having a blast learning the program again, and I am working on bug fixes on GQ2. Man I forgot how big that game is...90 rooms, hundreds and hundreds of scripts. YIKES!
A bit OT, but is there a walkthrough of GQ1 available? I cannot get past the damn waterfall!
Old 09 May 2020, 13:19   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

AVG? Obviously AVG is not able to search for Amiga viruses in Amiga files.
Old 10 May 2020, 15:36   #14
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
AVG? Obviously AVG is not able to search for Amiga viruses in Amiga files.
The "Happy" virus was a PC based pretend virus as I understand it, made to fool the user into believing they had a virus, but there was no threat. It was not an Amiga virus. Therefore, the scan was for a PC and or Mac based virus not Amiga.
Old 10 May 2020, 16:07   #15
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
A bit OT, but is there a walkthrough of GQ1 available? I cannot get past the damn waterfall!
Gq1. This was my 1st attempt at using GRAC. Most of these rooms were used and expanded in Gq2. Did you take the shovel along with the rope from the shed in house back yard? When you climbed down the rope you landed at a cliff with a small hole in it. Use the shovel to dig it open. Follow the caves. There's a few things to "use" "examine" and "take" in there that you will need for other rooms. Once you get to behind the waterfall cave "operate" the rope bridge - pushing it through the waterfall. Then go back out to the waterfall and "Operate" the rope bridge; it will extend across the river and then walk over it to the other side. Have fun. The walk to other rooms were a problem in this one but it gets better in Gq2 ad I was learning more. I also put in a lot of anims, puzzles etc in Gq2 and of course it so much bigger at 90 rooms. I think this one had 25 or so in it.
Old 10 May 2020, 18:42   #16
manossg

Quote:
Gq1. This was my 1st attempt at using GRAC. Most of these rooms were used and expanded in Gq2. Did you take the shovel along with the rope from the shed in house back yard? When you climbed down the rope you landed at a cliff with a small hole in it. Use the shovel to dig it open. Follow the caves. There's a few things to "use" "examine" and "take" in there that you will need for other rooms. Once you get to behind the waterfall cave "operate" the rope bridge - pushing it through the waterfall. Then go back out to the waterfall and "Operate" the rope bridge; it will extend across the river and then walk over it to the other side. Have fun. The walk to other rooms were a problem in this one but it gets better in Gq2 ad I was learning more. I also put in a lot of anims, puzzles etc in Gq2 and of course it so much bigger at 90 rooms. I think this one had 25 or so in it.
Thanks, bro, I couldn't find the cliff hole! Cheers!
Old 16 May 2020, 11:33   #17
manossg

Wow, navigating in this game is quite tricky!

I have managed to find and translate the 2nd page in the book and the 4th page in the rocks, but where it the ^^*&^&^"%!&^ 3rd page?
Old 16 May 2020, 20:37   #18
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Wow, navigating in this game is quite tricky!

I have managed to find and translate the 2nd page in the book and the 4th page in the rocks, but where it the ^^*&^&^"%!&^ 3rd page?

.."in the rocks" those were the 1st and 2nd pages. Have you been to the desert yet? Have you been to the temple in the desert? Do you have the bottle filled with water (filled behind the waterfall)? Did you find the 4th page in the caves on the other side of the waterfall? Did you get the diamond in the caves as well? You will need the fruit from the bushes, water in the bottle to get through the dessert. Look for the skeleton in the desert and operate him (3rd page). When in the caves operate the rocks to find the 4th page, then find the skeletons and take their spear. Use the spear in the diamond room. When at the temple use the diamond on the pedestal and listen to the spirit, he will tell you how to summons another spirit at the alter, then refill the bottle with water before returning to the desert (water at right side of temple). Hope this helps.
Old 16 May 2020, 20:41   #19
manossg

I have done everything else, but I have missed operating the skeleton! Thanks, mate!
Old 22 June 2020, 18:15   #20
manossg

Hope @pngcan is still around...

Finished GQ 1 and started playing Geo Quest 2. I got some distance but got stuck in a ^£%&^"%& panel. I have read with the diary that 12, 23 to make 123 riddle, I have tried to make some sense out of it, but no luck. Any hints?