English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 27 May 2020, 16:54   #81
Ceason87

Hi rvctech

just a quick question as I have found what i believe to be the fault with my floppy drive.
The ribbon cable from the top head has a snapped trace any idea if a standard pc floppy drive head would be able to replace it as I have a few lying around but don't have any amiga drives that i could swap it with to test it
Old 28 May 2020, 02:08   #82
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceason87 View Post
Hi rvctech

just a quick question as I have found what i believe to be the fault with my floppy drive.
The ribbon cable from the top head has a snapped trace any idea if a standard pc floppy drive head would be able to replace it as I have a few lying around but don't have any amiga drives that i could swap it with to test it

Hi Ceason,
I think there would be variation between heads from different drives depending on the manufacturer, so probably not possible to do.

It might be possible though if you found a PC drive that was from the same model series, as most Amiga drives were manufacturer customised versions of standard PC drives.

For your drive, you can probably take the head assembly from any JU-253 series. Difficulty is the the JU-253 is a DD drive and they are probably rare in the PC world. A head from a HD version (JU-256/JU-257) would probably not be appropriate. I suppose you could also take it from another JU-253 drive for an A500.

Other issue is that if you are replacing heads or the assembly it will probably need head re-alignment. Could the ribbon cable be repairable?
Old 28 May 2020, 02:28   #83
Ceason87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvctech View Post
Other issue is that if you are replacing heads or the assembly it will probably need head re-alignment. Could the ribbon cable be repairable?
It's doubtful as it's one of those orange coloured ones that just tend to melt i'll have to see if I can pick up a working floppy drive on ebay or somewhere.

Also quick update on trying to manufacture a new motherboard. I don't need to now as a friend had one that he found in his loft and didn't even know what it was as it was just the board in a box with a load of pc parts so he gave me it

I will probably still do it at some point but for now I have replaced a few missing chips with what could be salvaged from my old motherboard and have a semi working a600 now (no floppy drive or hard drive and I think it needs a recap as it seems to hang for a while when booting so that's the job for tomorrow or the day after whenever I get chance.

does anyone happen to know what version of amiga os will run on a standard a600 with 1mb ram upgrade card I think it's only 3.1 but if anyone else knows different it would be much appreciated.
Old 28 May 2020, 02:40   #84
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceason87 View Post
It's doubtful as it's one of those orange coloured ones that just tend to melt i'll have to see if I can pick up a working floppy drive on ebay or somewhere.
To repair that cable, I'd try to use a conductive paint. It's not really something that can be soldered. But probably not worth the trouble if you can get a replacement.

The A600 came with Kickstart 2.04 or 2.05. You can still boot Workbench 3.1 on it though.
Old 07 July 2020, 02:45   #85
Rodeo
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Rodeo Send a message via AIM to Rodeo Send a message via Yahoo to Rodeo
can i trust you cd32freak ? is the innerlayers correct assigned ? becouse originaly A600 is a 2 layer board. this is VERY important becouse im going to take a chance on this design.

i have the rev1.5 sanded. soo dont fuck my mind up again. its original a 2 layer board.

even rev 2D is 2 layers even though vias "disapears".
Old 07 July 2020, 02:49   #86
Rodeo
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Rodeo Send a message via AIM to Rodeo Send a message via Yahoo to Rodeo
there is going to be a surprise on this. i love the serve on silverplate of this. but adding VCC and GND planes on the original design has made me investigate for days ! thats why i need some feedbacks. i was going to make this board 1 year ago. but mick and other people has designs of this. im going full retard on this soo i need support
Old 07 July 2020, 03:28   #87
Rodeo
Banned

adding one thing before i go to bed. my design is going to get public. i have been in bad shape for years. but i picked this up becouse of cd32freak. it speeds up it alot. i wont take others A600 project down by this. mick and another guy and my illness made me stop developing A600. my design is ofcours a public thing as soon as its known to work. im going to add some stuff on it.
Old 07 July 2020, 04:52   #88
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
can i trust you cd32freak ? is the innerlayers correct assigned ? becouse originaly A600 is a 2 layer board. this is VERY important becouse im going to take a chance on this design.

i have the rev1.5 sanded. soo dont fuck my mind up again. its original a 2 layer board.

even rev 2D is 2 layers even though vias "disapears".

You use those Gerbers at your own risk, they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Will you be providing a solution to the fact that there are nearly no more Amiga custom chips left in the world?

Last edited by rvctech; 07 July 2020 at 05:32.
Old 07 July 2020, 19:50   #89
Rodeo
Banned

Quote:
You use those Gerbers at your own risk, they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Will you be providing a solution to the fact that there are nearly no more Amiga custom chips left in the world?
yes i do. and do you realise how many motherboards that are more or less dead becouse of cap leaks ? i own 4 600eds myself. im building this. and i can confirm this gerbers is probably working. i just dont know why inner layers are added on a 2 layer design. im going to make a custom board. will fit into A600 desktop. i have REV2D and REV1.5 this REV2A matches the sanded rev2D board. i spent one day just to confirm this gerbers against the 2D pictures. and before i press manufacture button. i will test points against my 1.5 sanded board. i will share my design, dont worry, im also not interested in selling alot of these either, cheers
Old 07 July 2020, 19:54   #90
Rodeo
Banned

anyway, im removing the inner layers. they are needed for routing this. will add gnd and vcc on whats left. soo my design will be 4 layers.
Old 07 July 2020, 20:55   #91
Rodeo
Banned

ohh, i used the test button in sprint layout. alot of vias are making shortcuts i just clicked on a random gnd via and noticed signal lines where shorted. soo BEWARE of this design

anyway i remove the innerlayers, making my design. i beleave the design top and bottom is very correct, wish me luck. cheers
Old 07 July 2020, 23:02   #92
Rodeo
Banned

whole design is a wreck. even without the inner layers. but if i can trust amigapcb i can fix it. will make a version out of it right away. cd32freak, i pm:ed yesterday. im not used to github. soo i send you my updated files. they will be 2 layers. but correct against amigapcb. its pretty easy to solve in sprint layout.
Old 07 July 2020, 23:04   #93
Rodeo
Banned

this can be confirmed. almost everything. with my rev1.5 sanded board. there are some exceptions ofcours. but its the closest shot to make this gerbers correct.
Old 08 July 2020, 02:02   #94
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
yes i do. and do you realise how many motherboards that are more or less dead becouse of cap leaks ? i own 4 600eds myself. im building this. and i can confirm this gerbers is probably working. i just dont know why inner layers are added on a 2 layer design. im going to make a custom board. will fit into A600 desktop. i have REV2D and REV1.5 this REV2A matches the sanded rev2D board. i spent one day just to confirm this gerbers against the 2D pictures. and before i press manufacture button. i will test points against my 1.5 sanded board. i will share my design, dont worry, im also not interested in selling alot of these either, cheers

In my experience it's not that common for Amiga 600 motherboards to be killed due to cap leaks - it definitely makes a big mess, but it takes a very long time for capacitors to cause real damage. I have repaired and re-capped many Amigas and 99% of the damage is caused by:

1. Battery leaks
2. Owners with limited soldering skill/experience who try to do a re-cap and badly damage their motherboard

For the Amiga 600, I have repaired and re-capped many. The damaged boards were always due to point (2) above. Often the video filters are damaged by capacitor leakage, but this doesn't kill the board. I have repaired broken pads, traces, through hole pads, video filters, etc. The A600 is only 2-layers, it's relatively straightforward to repair the PCB. This can be safer than de-soldering all the parts.

In any case, good luck with your project. The board is 2-layers (ignore the inner planes). I have also re-produced the PCB using the AmigaPCB data and my own conversion tool, the vias etc are fine. But be aware that the Rev 2A on AmigaPCB is a BETA design and was never released by Commodore. It has a few errors which were fixed in Rev 2B. Also this board is a little bit different to Rev 1.5, you need to use a Rev 2X board for reference.
Old 08 July 2020, 03:21   #95
Rodeo
Banned

Quote:
In my experience it's not that common for Amiga 600 motherboards to be killed due to cap leaks - it definitely makes a big mess, but it takes a very long time for capacitors to cause real damage. I have repaired and re-capped many Amigas and 99% of the damage is caused by:

1. Battery leaks
2. Owners with limited soldering skill/experience who try to do a re-cap and badly damage their motherboard

For the Amiga 600, I have repaired and re-capped many. The damaged boards were always due to point (2) above. Often the video filters are damaged by capacitor leakage, but this doesn't kill the board. I have repaired broken pads, traces, through hole pads, video filters, etc. The A600 is only 2-layers, it's relatively straightforward to repair the PCB. This can be safer than de-soldering all the parts.

In any case, good luck with your project. The board is 2-layers (ignore the inner planes). I have also re-produced the PCB using the AmigaPCB data and my own conversion tool, the vias etc are fine. But be aware that the Rev 2A on AmigaPCB is a BETA design and was never released by Commodore. It has a few errors which were fixed in Rev 2B. Also this board is a little bit different to Rev 1.5, you need to use a Rev 2X board for reference.
Thnx for your input.

I just was going yo make a quick run. Fixing a custom board.
I will get help having a new replica of a600 rev2D. But if you got a copy too it would make me happy if you pm me.

Cd32freaks is ofcours getting the design right. Before i go retard and change the design a bit.
Old 08 July 2020, 03:24   #96
Rodeo
Banned

2 of my boards was in bad shape but repairable. Leakes makes them weak thats a reason for pad loss etc that happens when unexperienced people repairs ??
Old 08 July 2020, 03:34   #97
Rodeo
Banned

The 2D designer told me missing lines in the edge connector in 2A design. But i can confirm that later. Overall. The 2A matches 2D ok. There might be missing vcc /gnd connections

Im too drunk right now. But i try to make something out of this

And rvtech if you dont share your files its fine. I apriciate your knowledge
Old 10 July 2020, 11:12   #98
CD32Freak

Sorry, all I did was converting the different SVG data layers to Gerber and according to that data there are inner layers. I don't have a real A600 board, so thanks all of you for checking it out ;-)
Old 11 July 2020, 01:11   #99
Mick

I can upload my files again if someone wants to get some PCB's made and build one. I'm basically just waiting for someone to show up with enough enthusiasm to help me build/test it, all of the effort I put in was for the community so it'll be a shame if it goes to waste. There's enough talent in the community to get it over the finish line.

Last edited by Mick; 11 July 2020 at 01:25.
Old 17 July 2020, 09:58   #100
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I can upload my files again if someone wants to get some PCB's made and build one. I'm basically just waiting for someone to show up with enough enthusiasm to help me build/test it, all of the effort I put in was for the community so it'll be a shame if it goes to waste. There's enough talent in the community to get it over the finish line.

Did Ian Stedman have any luck with the board he was working on?