English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 May 2009, 21:09   #1
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Partition Names?

This may sound like a dumb question, but does it matter what I name my HD partitions? I see that most people use Workbench, Work, and Games for their partitions, but I used Programs instead of Work. Will I run into any problems because of this? Do any programs specifically look for a partition called Work?

Last edited by Tempest 2084; 08 May 2009 at 21:10. Reason: Typo
Old 08 May 2009, 21:20   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
No, it is just your own decision. There are two different things: device name and volume name. Volume is just a label for a device. Device name is given by system, volume name is yours.

Example: you have internal floppy drive in your Amiga. System knows this as DF0: You can insert a diskette to it and it can be called Workbench. If you want to use a file in that diskette, you can run it as DF0:file as well as Workbench:file.

The same with partitions. System knows HDD partitions as DH0:, DH1:, DH2: etc., but you can label them. It is the same with partitions under Windows XP: - you have partition called C:/ but it can be labelled for example "Main disk" or so. It doesn't matter, it is just for better orientation.
Old 08 May 2009, 21:28   #3
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 2084 View Post
Will I run into any problems because of this? Do any programs specifically look for a partition called Work?
There might be some stupid (probably early) software which wants to install to Work: or DH0: or HD0: but an assign may fix it.
Old 08 May 2009, 23:53   #4
Jope
-

Many stupid installers (such as Picasso96) want to install to Work: if you select novice mode.

I think PFS3 also defaults to Work:

I myself use DH0, DH1, etc as my partition names. The volume labels are also boringly stupid HardDrive0, HardDrive1 etc.. If I want something descriptive for some use, I use an assign.
Old 08 May 2009, 23:59   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

When I had an amiga I had my partitions named whatever I wanted, like Games, Harddrive1 etc..... was np as I had in my startup-sequence assign Work: hd0:... or assign Work: Programs:.. whatever... just use whatever name u want and assign Work and stuff to the correct hdd... no program will ever fail...
Old 15 May 2009, 00:20   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
No, it is just your own decision. There are two different things: device name and volume name. Volume is just a label for a device. Device name is given by system, volume name is yours.

Example: you have internal floppy drive in your Amiga. System knows this as DF0: You can insert a diskette to it and it can be called Workbench. If you want to use a file in that diskette, you can run it as DF0:file as well as Workbench:file.

The same with partitions. System knows HDD partitions as DH0:, DH1:, DH2: etc., but you can label them. It is the same with partitions under Windows XP: - you have partition called C:/ but it can be labelled for example "Main disk" or so. It doesn't matter, it is just for better orientation.
That's not entirely correct. With AmigaOs you have control over both the device label and the device name. My partitions are named HD0: to HD7: and they are labeled as various things: Workbench, Software, Data, Work, Dump, etc. This can be done with any device.

Want CD0: to be WHATEVER:? No problem, just change the mount file name. For hard disks the device name can be controled with a partitioning program.
Old 15 May 2009, 05:56   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I have a "Games" partition named "Games" on hdtoolbox...
Old 15 May 2009, 08:16   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
That's not entirely correct. With AmigaOs you have control over both the device label and the device name. My partitions are named HD0: to HD7: and they are labeled as various things: Workbench, Software, Data, Work, Dump, etc. This can be done with any device.

Want CD0: to be WHATEVER:? No problem, just change the mount file name. For hard disks the device name can be controled with a partitioning program.
OK, I only wanted to describe it as simply as possible.