English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 16 September 2023, 05:42   #1
mykrowyre

Euro to US Amiga 1200

I'm not really new to the Amiga, I've owned at least 8 of them over the past 30 years, but I've been away for a long time. Emulation just isn't cutting it. I am looking for an A1200 (my favorite), and lots of them pop up, but mostly PAL with a German/Euro keyboard layout.

I know converting from PAL to NTSC is not difficult and maybe not necessary unless you are using composite out, just some minor component changes on the motherboard, but regarding the keyboard, does one just burn a US rom and switch to a US keyboard?

Is it more cost effective to buy a Euro Amiga and convert it to US model by swapping keyboard and selling the Euro one?

I see a lot of Amigas come up for sale on ebay and the NTSC machines seem to fetch the highest (inflated) prices. Hoping to find a work around to get a lovely A1200 back into my hands at a price I can afford. Things have gotten a little crazy.

Thanks
Old 16 September 2023, 21:38   #2
mykrowyre

Actually nevermind, I forgot that this is configured during wb install
Old 17 September 2023, 15:13   #3
amigamia

Good luck finding one! I have tried for a long time and prices are just too much. I had one in my hands with a defective IDE port but sold it. I regret it.

The best option is to find one that needs to be repaired and hopefully won't be overpriced.
Old 18 September 2023, 01:34   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

Australia/New Zealand Amiga 1200 has US keyboard but the machine is PAL.
Old 18 September 2023, 02:30   #5
mykrowyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigamia View Post
Good luck finding one! I have tried for a long time and prices are just too much. I had one in my hands with a defective IDE port but sold it. I regret it.

The best option is to find one that needs to be repaired and hopefully won't be overpriced.
ACTUALLY I got one last night! yes it was way too expensive, but came with a M1230XA and it's an NTSC machine with US keyboard which are a little harder to find lately.

Since I had a lot of expensive items laying around that I don't use anymore, it was easy to justify selling those things and buying the A1200.
Old 21 September 2023, 12:44   #6
amigamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrowyre View Post
ACTUALLY I got one last night! yes it was way too expensive, but came with a M1230XA and it's an NTSC machine with US keyboard which are a little harder to find lately.

Since I had a lot of expensive items laying around that I don't use anymore, it was easy to justify selling those things and buying the A1200.
Very nice! Enjoy.