English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 17 February 2023, 09:29   #1
giantclam

Anyone mucked about with libretro/RetroArch/PUAE lately?

Title pretty much says it all, looking for any comments or thoughts of anyone who's used it =)

TIA
Old 17 February 2023, 10:20   #2
Snoopy1234

I ran a Wii emulator on Devkit Retroarch on an Xbox one late last year. Loaded a couple of titles like The Last Story and Spongebob's Atlantis Squarepants because I had the discs. I bought a BP50NB40 LG slim-line blu-ray drive for the ripping as it was on the list of compatible drives. The frontend retail release of Retroarch was out soon after where you didn't have to enter Developer mode on the Xbox to run it. It was easy to set up from online tutorials but the xbox had trouble putting out a decent fps and some audio pops etc were going on.
Old 08 March 2023, 21:52   #3
rhester72

I use lr-puae2021 (nee 2.6.1) on RetroPie (on a Pi 400) every single day as my primary Amiga platform and absolutely adore it. Several of the recent-ish changes you've seen to the core are a result of that.

Yes, it's an old version of UAE. Yes, there are bugs. No, they don't detract from my enjoyment, doing everything from running a 1:1 reproduction of my old ICD-laden A500 to floppy, HDF and WHD gaming in NTSC and PAL at proper resolution and refresh with gorgeous monitor curve and scanlines. =)

Any questions, ask away. There probably isn't anyone that knows libretro PUAE better than I do outside the current core maintainers.
Old 09 March 2023, 04:03   #4
giantclam

Thanks for the replies - appreciated =)

@rhester72 .... if you're speaking in the perfect present personal tense, you (figuratively) win a small jar or vegemite for being astute enough to know I've been reading the libretro-puae source 8)

...either that, or you're stalking me ..lol ... nah, seriously...when doing the LFS build against x86-64 just to run fs-uae + fs-uae-launcher, it occurred to me that at the same time, I'd satisfied pretty much all of the deps for libretro/retroarch along the way ...ergo, what's better than just an Amiga emulator?.. an x86 emulator that does other platforms as well...

....retroarch 'presents itself' differently to to fs-uae & friends, so I was thinking of making retroarch a 3rd boot option...ie; grub bootsplash to workbench, or ice-wm/fs-uae-launcher or retroarch boot. I compiled it a week or so ago (see my other thread in support.fsuae). but I'll need build it again (different python & qt5 versions)...

Thanks for the offer to pick your brain ~ when I recompile it, if anything screwy happens, you'll be first on my list when I go looking for answers 8)
Old 30 April 2023, 15:14   #5
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
I use lr-puae2021 (nee 2.6.1) on RetroPie (on a Pi 400) every single day as my primary Amiga platform and absolutely adore it. Several of the recent-ish changes you've seen to the core are a result of that.

Yes, it's an old version of UAE. Yes, there are bugs. No, they don't detract from my enjoyment, doing everything from running a 1:1 reproduction of my old ICD-laden A500 to floppy, HDF and WHD gaming in NTSC and PAL at proper resolution and refresh with gorgeous monitor curve and scanlines. =)

Any questions, ask away. There probably isn't anyone that knows libretro PUAE better than I do outside the current core maintainers.
Given your knowledge of PUAE, do you know whether there is an option or a config line available to use uaegfx such as Picasso96? I would like to run a Workbench in high resolution, the reason that I ask.
Old 30 April 2023, 19:20   #6
rhester72

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty90seven View Post
Given your knowledge of PUAE, do you know whether there is an option or a config line available to use uaegfx such as Picasso96? I would like to run a Workbench in high resolution, the reason that I ask.
If you're talking about the variant from about six months ago (i.e. the one now called lr-puae), I believe so.

If you're referring to lr-puae2021 (i.e. the older/slower version), it does not have RTG, JIT, MMU or AHI.