English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2007, 12:22   #21
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I wonder if it is RTGMaster lib which is more buggy. I played this patch for hours on my PIV with no issue.
On Aminet there is a patch for RTGMaster lib, which is to fix some bugs -but it appears to predate the RTGMaster lib archive, so I wasn't clear if it was appropriate to use or not. I guessed not.
Old 20 September 2007, 15:22   #22
Grex

On my previous system I also found, that running MCPramlibpatch improved stabilty of the game. Increasing the stack is always a good idea. However the annoying bug as described by Steve makes the game quite annoying, because once the red mutant-dog touches you, your energy drops to zero immediately. The funny thing is: If you fire your weapon then, you can sometimes remain the game with 999 Points of energy.
Old 20 September 2007, 19:17   #23
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Darn, so all that fun I thought I was having with games like Quake, Alien Breed 3DII and the rest was actually bogus.

Bother! I'll have to rethink my life now.

...on a more serious note, yup TKG does seem a bit crash prone with RTG patch. I've had a chance to give it a bit more of a go - still dark as hell.

Any suggested RTG settings for the 2 windows that come up? 060 with Mediator/Voodoo)
I have learned through the time that slow framerates=bad game play and bad fun....so rethink your life will be good
so now...
I don't play any first person shooter until Im sure I got at least 50fps on my computer

"Framerate is life" 3dmark 2001

bye
Old 20 September 2007, 19:36   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

So you've never played Far Cry, or Oblivion then
Old 20 September 2007, 22:27   #25
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
So you've never played Far Cry, or Oblivion then
I have Far cry ...is very fast on my computer...and is fast on any mid-end computer nowdays

don't have Oblivion...but you are right...I heard is very slow

bye
Old 21 September 2007, 10:29   #26
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grex View Post
On my previous system I also found, that running MCPramlibpatch improved stabilty of the game.

Thanks Grex I'll give that a go. I've never used MCP but it sounds like MCPramlibpatch might help. Mind you, I worry a bit about the number of patches run at the beginning of my startup-sequence these days.
Old 21 September 2007, 13:23   #27
Grex

@Angus

If you want to give it a try, it is part of this RTGmaster-Distribution:

http://aminet.net/driver/video/rtgmaster_user.lha

However so far I couldn't get the version from the Zone working on my system, so maybe there is something wrong with it, who knows.
My installation here works (damn fast), but there is this annoying hell-hound-bug...
Old 21 September 2007, 15:56   #28
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grex View Post
@Angus

If you want to give it a try, it is part of this RTGmaster-Distribution:

Thanks - yup that's what I've been using. I'll give it a try and report back if its stable. Is it just the Hellhounds that cause the problem or any enemies? As I recall they dont't feature much (at all?) after the first level, and I think they are possibly the most in-yer-face enemies in the game, so if it is all enemies, it should at least be less of a problem with the more stand-offish (but my dear fellow, we haven't been properly introduced!) robots.

My problem is the sheer lack of light as much as anything else.

Last edited by Angus; 21 September 2007 at 15:57. Reason: additional point
Old 21 September 2007, 18:39   #29
laser
Banned

I remember that there are another patch for ab3d2
it's named tkgpatch

but it's another fraud...it doesn't speed anything.....another chineese' tale

btw, Angus forget about that rtg patch...it's very buggy...it crash and runs out of sync and mcpramlibpatch do nothing.....

use the original exe
Old 21 September 2007, 19:07   #30
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I remember that there are another patch for ab3d2
it's named tkgpatch

but it's another fraud...it doesn't speed anything.....another chineese' tale

btw, Angus forget about that rtg patch...it's very buggy...it crash and runs out of sync and mcpramlibpatch do nothing.....

use the original exe
Have you actually tried the tkgturbopatch? It should speed up things considerably. If you can please measure the fps you get with and without tkgturbopatch and tell the results here. And also, post the config you're running it on . If it speeds things up, i requested implementing the patch into the WHDLoad-installer years ago here at EAB.
Old 21 September 2007, 22:04   #31
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Have you actually tried the tkgturbopatch? It should speed up things considerably. If you can please measure the fps you get with and without tkgturbopatch and tell the results here. And also, post the config you're running it on . If it speeds things up, i requested implementing the patch into the WHDLoad-installer years ago here at EAB.
Never tried this one so far.
I´ll check it out tomorrow.

Thank you, Bamiga2002.
Old 22 September 2007, 06:52   #32
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
when I talked about the tkgpatch above which is a fraud and do nothing...I was talking about your famous tkgturbopatch

that patch doesn't speedup the game...it's another dishonest Criss Angel'fraud ....but if you believe in that patch maybe you believe in ghosts,or maybe you believe in ufos and aliens.....

ok.

this time a serious question:

do you believe in Snow white and the seven dwarfs?
Old 22 September 2007, 09:30   #33
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

What's your problem? I didn't say i *believe* in the patch, just that i wanted someone to test and post the results here. I myself haven't tried the patch ever.
Old 22 September 2007, 09:42   #34
keropi

I have never see the rtg patch in action, but do you think it will make a speed difference? I remember when I tried Zombie Massacre (and gloom?) rtg modes, the speed was about the same as AGA...
Old 22 September 2007, 10:24   #35
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Yep, he RTG most of the time just directs the graphics input through the graphics card and does not speed things up. In fact, there are games that are faster on AGA than on RTG (can't think of one now).
Old 22 September 2007, 11:36   #36
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
the tkg turbo patch isnt a massive speedup but there is a small speedup. the difference is more noticable on my 040 amiga rarther then uae though.
Old 22 September 2007, 11:39   #37
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
I have never see the rtg patch in action, but do you think it will make a speed difference? I remember when I tried Zombie Massacre (and gloom?) rtg modes, the speed was about the same as AGA...
You're kidding right? Does it make a difference? That's like saying does a bear shit in the woods.

Of course it makes a difference! On WinUAE at least it makes a HUGE difference. I don't know the framerate but must be at least 10x faster on my machine than standard AGA. Maybe if you have a very very powerful PC it may run fast enough in normal AGA anyway. Mine is quite slow by todays standards and games like Breed 3D and Gloom Deluxe are slow as pish. Using RTG Gloom Deluxe is smooth as hell. So yes it does make a difference.

Why would someone go to the bother of writing an RTG patch if it wasn't going to make any difference to the speed of the game? Sheesh.
Old 22 September 2007, 12:16   #38
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why would someone go to the bother of writing an RTG patch if it wasn't going to make any difference to the speed of the game? Sheesh.
being able to display on your main monitor without hooking up a tv or plugging in scandoubler/switch is reason enough even if there is little to no speedup gained with rtg
Old 22 September 2007, 13:21   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

RTG should make a huge difference. The chunky to planar calculation is quite CPU intensive and is no longer required. Data no longer needs to be copied into slow chip ram before being displayed.

With RTG + AHI (if you have a sound card) everything can be in 32-bit fast ram close to the accelerator.

If you dont notice a difference... take a look at your RAM priorities.
Old 22 September 2007, 13:22   #40
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Bubble Heroes is faster on AGA, and i didn't notice any speed increase in Flyin' High either.