English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 22 July 2020, 00:32   #1
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Graphic issue playing Worms: The Director's Cut in FS-UAE

I'm having a bit of a time trying to iron out a wrinkle when playing WormsDC in FS-UAE - there's some sheering that occurs in any area with a moving sprite - a worm, the turn-time countdown, even parts of the lower HUD.

I've uploaded a video demonstrating the issue here:

[ Show youtube player ]

Any idea what could be causing this, and how I might go about fixing it? I'm sure there's a setting somewhere that I've overlooked but I can't for the life of me figure out what. It should be noted, this issue does not occur in WinUAE.
Old 22 July 2020, 10:12   #2
Daedalus

That looks like subpixel rendering isn't working or emulated properly. It's particularly complex with Worms: DC because it uses dual playfield and sprites, all of which can have their own superhighres position on screen, even though the screen itself is low res. I know that WinUAE a while back didn't support this fully, but it may have been added since. What you might be seeing there is the fractional pixel shift made to accommodate the sprite affecting the entire screen instead of just the sprite, or the rest of the screen is off by a fraction of a pixel and only the area with the sprite is positioned correctly. Or maybe neither is fully correct, and there's a rounding disparity between the two areas, resulting in a pixel shift.

A quick scan through the FS-UAE options doesn't show any setting for subpixel emulation, so maybe it simply doesn't have that option yet. Emulation of quarter-pixel screens like this will take a lot more horsepower than the standard low-resolution emulation (due to emulating a 1280x256 screen instead of 320x256).
Old 13 August 2020, 23:58   #3
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

I need to check to see if this has been fixed in more recent builds...
Old 26 October 2020, 03:42   #4
ztronzo

The same problem also appears in Skeleton Krew AGA.. so its likely to be an AGA issue.. both games work well in WinUAE.. I hope it may be resolved with the release FS-UAE v4.0

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 26 October 2020, 03:53   #5
ztronzo

As a workaround for Skeleton Krew I used
line_doubling=0
low_resolution=1

Which just messed up the menu resolution but fixed the in-game issue..
Unfortunately for Worms DC, the game will look horrible since it doesnt use low resolution in-game

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk