English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 February 2021, 05:30   #241
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
60hz stuttering, crashes, and 8 frames of lag - this is not very good, even for a 'casual' player.
The 60hz issue has been explained multiple times now and yet you still dont seem to get that you cant just run the game at 60Hz without causing problems for the music when not even WHDLoad managed to fixed that!
The 8 frames of lag was looked into and it is beyond our control to change that due to the technical circumstances of the emulation and the platform limits.

Quote:
Maybe this collection would have been better off as a Windows PC only release where at least many of these big technical issues would never have come up in the first place.
Right, it seems you have never ever released a game on PC, becasue then you would know that compared to consoles PC is a giant pain in the ass due to its millions of different configs causing all sorts of random problems.
Old 06 February 2021, 06:39   #242
rsn8887

I only tested PS4 by the way. A friend tested the Switch version and observed less lag on the Switch.
Old 06 February 2021, 13:17   #243
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHlAuChi View Post
The 60hz issue has been explained multiple times now and yet you still dont seem to get that you cant just run the game at 60Hz without causing problems for the music when not even WHDLoad managed to fixed that!
The 8 frames of lag was looked into and it is beyond our control to change that due to the technical circumstances of the emulation and the platform limits.

Right, it seems you have never ever released a game on PC, becasue then you would know that compared to consoles PC is a giant pain in the ass due to its millions of different configs causing all sorts of random problems.
No, I understand the technical issues. I understand that these are limitations that cannot be controlled. I'm not accusing anyone of being lazy or trying to rip people off.

But you must understand that you are taking part in a discussion that is being held from a consumer's point of view. And as a consumer these technical issues, no matter who's fault they are, make this an unattractive proposition. You can't expect consumers to gloss over these issues just because they're no one's fault.
Old 06 February 2021, 15:01   #244
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
No, I understand the technical issues. I understand that these are limitations that cannot be controlled. I'm not accusing anyone of being lazy or trying to rip people off.

But you must understand that you are taking part in a discussion that is being held from a consumer's point of view. And as a consumer these technical issues, no matter who's fault they are, make this an unattractive proposition. You can't expect consumers to gloss over these issues just because they're no one's fault.
That is perfectly fine, but I dont think it is asked too much for people to show at least some respect and read my answers instead of ignoring them by repeating the same things over and over like broken records.
I do not work for SLG, I'm helping the project becasue I´m a Turrican fan, I gain nothing from sharing info - it actually would be alot easier for me to simply ignore EAB and its echo chamber of negatvitiy.
Old 06 February 2021, 15:53   #245
RuySan

Quote:
That is perfectly fine, but I dont think it is asked too much for people to show at least some respect and read my answers instead of ignoring them by repeating the same things over and over like broken records.
I do not work for SLG, I'm helping the project becasue I´m a Turrican fan, I gain nothing from sharing info - it actually would be alot easier for me to simply ignore EAB and its echo chamber of negatvitiy.
Even though was it much to ask for some extras? The new Castlevania collections have some nice menus with the game's history and such.

This is one of my favorite series of all time, and I never paid anything for the games. And factor 5 is making it hard for me to do so. I don't have a switch or a PS4. So it seems I shouldn't wait for a steam release.
Old 06 February 2021, 16:33   #246
Deaths_Head

Quote:
I just want to say I have loved the collection on my PS4, I've not noticed any of these issues although I've only completed T1 & T2 up to now. The updated controls & text input are a vast improvement, in fact I would say these are the definitive Amiga versions, superior to the versions I have been playing on my CD32. So thanks for your part in helping to revive Turrican. Ignore the haters, they just want to see it fail.
Old 06 February 2021, 18:29   #247
Torti-the-Smurf

Good Joke Death Head ,really funny (But seriously, just wait for the real collection, you will be truly amazed... i hope )

Anyway, i am with Schlauchi on this one. Sure it would have been better to wait and make one collection, but still, i can understand Schlauchi getting tired of "answering always the same questions".

But please Schlauchi, dont be mad at the EAB Folks, they are mostly super nice people here.
They are so passtionate and as a result,emotions can get pretty intense sometimes

Greetings, Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 06 February 2021 at 18:36.
Old 06 February 2021, 21:39   #248
Deaths_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Good Joke Death Head ,really funny (But seriously, just wait for the real collection, you will be truly amazed... i hope )

Anyway, i am with Schlauchi on this one. Sure it would have been better to wait and make one collection, but still, i can understand Schlauchi getting tired of "answering always the same questions".

But please Schlauchi, dont be mad at the EAB Folks, they are mostly super nice people here.
They are so passtionate and as a result,emotions can get pretty intense sometimes

Greetings, Torti
I don't understand your point, I paid £25 for Turrican Flashback, thats £6.25 per title, for a physical release, thats actually very good value, especially taking into account that Chaos Engine is £6.99 on Steam. I have also ordered the Turrican Anthology. I just had an itch to play Turrican early.
Old 06 February 2021, 22:42   #249
junosix

I played and completed Turrican 2 on Turrican Flashback and it played well for me. The does seem to be a mismatch in audio levels between the emulators though.

I found the updated controls made fairly decent sense, but an oversight of these revisions seems to be that you're unable to crouch now when using the surround beam.
Old 07 February 2021, 01:38   #250
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by junosix View Post
I played and completed Turrican 2 on Turrican Flashback and it played well for me. The does seem to be a mismatch in audio levels between the emulators though.

I found the updated controls made fairly decent sense, but an oversight of these revisions seems to be that you're unable to crouch now when using the surround beam.

That wasnt and oversignt, it was the result of the updated controls, but for the Anthology we try to add an option to turn it back on.
Old 07 February 2021, 15:55   #251
Deaths_Head

Quote:
That wasnt and oversignt, it was the result of the updated controls, but for the Anthology we try to add an option to turn it back on.
It wasn't a major admission, to me this collection is the definitive way to play Turrican, at least until the anthology. I'm really looking forward to the included Bluray documentary. Are there any plans for an Xbox version?
Old 07 February 2021, 17:56   #252
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
It wasn't a major admission, to me this collection is the definitive way to play Turrican, at least until the anthology. I'm really looking forward to the included Bluray documentary. Are there any plans for an Xbox version?

Unfortunately not, as the requirements to release physical on Xbox are way too high, which is why you almost never see any of those smaller indie releases getting a pyhsical release on there. And I dont think SLG would do a digital only release.
Old 07 February 2021, 21:34   #253
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Unfortunately not, as the requirements to release physical on Xbox are way too high, which is why you almost never see any of those smaller indie releases getting a pyhsical release on there. And I dont think SLG would do a digital only release.

A few days ago Audi said in the Digital Foundery Livestream "they are working on an Xbox version" and he is the producer.

[ Show youtube player ]

Skip to 1:02:20

I dont know what to believe anymore Well, i dont have a Xbox and dosent want one but this is very confusing to say the least
Old 08 February 2021, 02:09   #254
Deaths_Head

[QUOTE=Torti-the-Smurf;1460123] A few days ago Audi said in the Digital Foundery Livestream "they are working on an Xbox version" and he is the producer.

When he said they're working on that he may have just meant they're trying to find a way to make it happen. Sounded like they want it on as many formats as possible eventually.
Old 08 February 2021, 02:14   #255
Deaths_Head

Quote:

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought that may have been the case, I've noticed past releases such as Another World & Strider dropped from an Xbox One release.
Old 08 February 2021, 13:08   #256
AMike

Quote:
Are there any plans for an Xbox version?
If you want to play it on your Xbox you can officially install Retroarch. Costs £5 and no need to hacking the console. Since a SeriesX can emulate the PS2, the Amiga is no challenge. I only tested some Amiga games just for fun - I use Retroarch mainly for SNES and arcade games. If needed I can upload a pdf tutorial in the zone.
Old 08 February 2021, 16:41   #257
Deaths_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
If you want to play it on your Xbox you can officially install Retroarch. Costs £5 and no need to hacking the console. Since a SeriesX can emulate the PS2, the Amiga is no challenge. I only tested some Amiga games just for fun - I use Retroarch mainly for SNES and arcade games. If needed I can upload a pdf tutorial in the zone.
That sounds pretty cool. I've seen a little bit about that. can you still access your normal Xbox library or do you need to specifically boot into the development mode to play retroarch.
Old 08 February 2021, 20:11   #258
AMike

Quote:
That sounds pretty cool. I've seen a little bit about that. can you still access your normal Xbox library or do you need to specifically boot into the development mode to play retroarch.
Dev. mode is no longer needed, retroarch is a normal App in your game library. The first setup is a little bit tricky but there are tutorials on you youtube. As I said - I have also a pdf if you want.
Old 08 February 2021, 20:15   #259
rsn8887

I lag-tested on Switch in handheld mode, using the great IPhone program "Is it Snappy?". I am actually getting similar lag to what I saw on PS4. 100 - 120 ms lag. Lag should be quoted in ms, because the game runs internally in 50 Hz, but is displayed in 60 Hz.

Actually, I just now went back to test UAE4All2 and Retroarch on Switch, and the lag is similar there. Only MiSTer is truly better. How could I ever play any of these emulators and not notice the lag?

Maybe someone else can chime in and also test the input lag? Maybe I am doing something wrong?

My conclusion now is that: Yes, Flashback has noticeable lag, but so do the UAE4All2 and Retrorch PUAE emulators. Only MiSTer and probably WinUAE with lagless beamracing are truly better. Because I have been playing on MiSTer for so long, I guess I became more sensitive to lag, and forgot how laggy emulation is.

It doesn't help that Turrican itself has 2 frames lag internally, why did they program such a lag into the game itself?

Last edited by rsn8887; 08 February 2021 at 21:04.
Old 08 February 2021, 22:59   #260
Deaths_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
Dev. mode is no longer needed, retroarch is a normal App in your game library. The first setup is a little bit tricky but there are tutorials on you youtube. As I said - I have also a pdf if you want.
Yes, if you could put your pdf in the zone that would be great. I've only got an xbox one at the moment, will it work with that. Many Thanks.