English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 September 2018, 23:42   #2641
kgc210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Took a bit more effort than expected. Let me know if it works. 397 is up.

@All: I might have broken Harrier support (not yet tested) and the unofficial A1200 stuff. Please check.

BTW, i don't see anything wrong in your MuScan or pciinfo output.
Sadly I am not having much luck.

Quake3
With 397 and RadeonMem = Yes I get PPC Exception
RadeonMem = No It allocates Memory But doesn't seem to load anything
Removed Radeon from Dev/Monitors It allocates Memory loads some files and nothing. But WB still working.

Quake 2
RadeonMem Yes or No It loads the program then freezes, it doesn't start loading files
Removed Radeon from Dev/Monitors It loads program and then start to load files but freezes.

I need to install SnoopDOS to see if I can get more details as the above isn't really worth anything in trying to diagnose the issue.

Also does anyone else have both a Radeon and VooDoo3 they can try it out with? Just in case my Radeon is faulty, ideally a proper 9200 instead of this sill 64bit RAM one that shows as two cards. Unless they all do that?

Edit:

With the Radeon removed from Dev/Monitors things like ADoomPPC causes a system reboot.
Also SysSpeed 2.6 Locks up. Really need someone else to try as even with earlier build if I have both the VooDoo and Radeon in the Amiga it's grumpy.

Last edited by kgc210; 18 September 2018 at 23:49.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:47   #2642
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post

Also does anyone else have both a Radeon and VooDoo3 they can try it out with? Just in case my Radeon is faulty, ideally a proper 9200 instead of this sill 64bit RAM one that shows as two cards. Unless they all do that?
How does one go about using a Voodoo3 and use the Radeon memory as OS memory? Could you explain? Both monitor files in devs:monitors? What to set in ENVARC:mediator?

What PPC exception?
Old 18 September 2018, 23:48   #2643
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Just in case my Radeon is faulty, ideally a proper 9200 instead of this sill 64bit RAM one that shows as two cards. Unless they all do that?
Both Radeons I've tried showed as two cards, not sure if that means we just have three odd ones though!
Old 18 September 2018, 23:50   #2644
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Both Radeons I've tried showed as two cards, not sure if that means we just have three odd ones though!
I have one with a jumper which makes it 1 device with 256MB contiguous memory. However, for the A1200 the Radeon needs to be in 2x128 mode (or smaller).
Old 18 September 2018, 23:52   #2645
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
I have one with a jumper which makes it 1 device with 256MB contiguous memory. However, for the A1200 the Radeon needs to be in 2x128 mode (or smaller).
Mine claims to be a 128mb card, yet still shows as two devices. I wonder if its related to the number of outputs? Mines have VGA, DVI and S-Video.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:55   #2646
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:

Edit:

With the Radeon removed from Dev/Monitors things like ADoomPPC causes a system reboot.
Also SysSpeed 2.6 Locks up. Really need someone else to try as even with earlier build if I have both the VooDoo and Radeon in the Amiga it's grumpy.
Cannot reproduce it. I'll have to scavenge a Radeon from another computer and try tomorrow.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:56   #2647
kgc210

I have tried:

RadeonMen = 0
RadeonMem = Yes
VoodooMem = 15
VoodooMemOS = No

With VooDoo and Radeon in Monitors I get the Radeon Mem added to WB

-----------

RadeonMen = 0
RadeonMem = No
VoodooMem = 15
VoodooMemOS = No

With VooDoo and Radeon in Monitors I don't the Radeon Mem added to WB

-------

RadeonMen = 0
RadeonMem = No
VoodooMem = 15
VoodooMemOS = No

With only VooDoo in Monitors I don't the Radeon Mem added to WB obviously.

Give me a few mins to put Radeon back in. I just want to check Q2 works ok with just VooDoo and 397 build.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:11   #2648
kgc210

It might be related to my Amiga.

Took Radeon out and Q2 and ADoomPPC still crashes / reboots system.

Replaced VooDoo with another, same problem.

Went back to 394 build, same issue.

I will have a proper look at it tomorrow evening as I will finish work earlier.
I find I some times have to reseat the Mediator up-riser / daughter board, I don't know if that main connector on my motherboard is weak?
Old 19 September 2018, 00:25   #2649
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Could you show me the contents of your execbase->memlist? In other words what memory is in the system in what order? Could you switch the position of the Radeon and the Voodoo?

It seems to work here. As in, the memory can be addressed by the PPC. Q3 crashes due to a zero pointer, however. But Q2 and such runs.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:27   #2650
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
It might be related to my Amiga.

Took Radeon out and Q2 and ADoomPPC still crashes / reboots system.

Replaced VooDoo with another, same problem.

Went back to 394 build, same issue.

I will have a proper look at it tomorrow evening as I will finish work earlier.
I find I some times have to reseat the Mediator up-riser / daughter board, I don't know if that main connector on my motherboard is weak?
Oh bummer.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:29   #2651
nexus

dust can easily work its way down into connectors depending where you live determines how long it takes
eg just the other day had to clean my R9 290X's in 1 of my mining rigs that was crashing due to this

though in this case the cards are hot and when power goes out etc a lot like it does here its easy from the expansion and contraction from heating and cooling the dust gets in between quick

though also in this case its possible to have a bad solder joint due to stress over the years
always good to cross possible things off the list

thats with any sockets in the amiga ram/chips/bios etc etc

just popped the bios off my warpengine and inside the socket and under the chip was tons of dust the white powered kind

Last edited by nexus; 19 September 2018 at 00:38.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:58   #2652
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Didn't have the time to really check if it all works. I see for example that both cards use the same name for its memory so the Radeon needs to be above the voodoo for it to be recognized correctly at the moment. If I prioritize Radeon memory above ppc memory the PPC stuff freezes.

I need to check further tomorrow.

Oh... it was a tight fit btw in my A3000. The bottom real PCI slot is so close to the daughterboard slot it cannot take any cards with a big headsink (K1, V3-3000, My Radeon). Had to put a V3-2000 in.
Old 19 September 2018, 01:02   #2653
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

16 to go as of 01:02 CEST :-P
Old 19 September 2018, 02:20   #2654
esel

Quote:
Yes, it is optional in the S-S. But if you place powerpc.library in libs: it gets started by picture.datatype. So either remove it from libs: or make sure InitPPC is in S-S before the datatypes are started.

And with not enough info i mean:

What do you mean by crash? PPC or 68k? What error message? What does pciinfo and systeminfo say? That kind of stuff.
I tryed that but the System is still very unstabile. Same as starting the ppc from a Script so that makes no difference.
I istalled warpjpg dattype and sometime the the System freezes on Startup (Right before the jpg background is Displayed)
If i try to watch some jpgs via multiview the System freezes After a few Pics.
I will try to Remove the Radeon and use a Voodoo 3 3000 and see If that will work.

Maybe the Radeon is Borken ?
Old 19 September 2018, 04:06   #2655
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
I tryed that but the System is still very unstabile. Same as starting the ppc from a Script so that makes no difference.
I istalled warpjpg dattype and sometime the the System freezes on Startup (Right before the jpg background is Displayed)
If i try to watch some jpgs via multiview the System freezes After a few Pics.
I will try to Remove the Radeon and use a Voodoo 3 3000 and see If that will work.

Maybe the Radeon is Borken ?

Maybe look into the part of the wiki about setting up a minimal startup-sequence then try to run some of the CLI only tools.

Start with Bogomips.
If that seems to work without crashing (run it a few times), try DNetc as that will stress the PPC very hard, but won't test very much RAM.
Old 19 September 2018, 07:06   #2656
jvaltane

Quote:
Eh yes, you are 'special' :-P Look one post before yours. I did indeed mean that another user had posted a semi-working A1200 with K1.

So it's 2 against 1 if that tells you anything.
Not so 'special' I have similar problem with my A1200 setup.
Quote:
immediate hang on trying simple things like pciinfo when PPCPCI=Yes in envs
I found problem when tried to load Radeon monitor, which leads to system freeze. Without PPCPCI=Yes everything works. I do not remember how picinfo behaved.

Old 19 September 2018, 08:22   #2657
esel

Tryed with the Voodoo but it is the same as with the radeon.
But once i got a guru after Quakeppc was crashing (with radeon) Guru number is:

Error: 8000 0003 Task: 04008A62

hope this helps..
Old 19 September 2018, 09:47   #2658
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaltane View Post
Not so 'special' I have similar problem with my A1200 setup. I found problem when tried to load Radeon monitor, which leads to system freeze. Without PPCPCI=Yes everything works. I do not remember how picinfo behaved.
Radeon cannot be in 1x256mb mode. And that's all I can say, as the powerpc.library is not active yet, it's a pci.library problem.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:49   #2659
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
Tryed with the Voodoo but it is the same as with the radeon.
But once i got a guru after Quakeppc was crashing (with radeon) Guru number is:

Error: 8000 0003 Task: 04008A62

hope this helps..
No. I asked for specific info.
Old 19 September 2018, 16:04   #2660
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Managed to run a PPC program in the VGA memory of the Radeon. I had to disable caches for it, but it is very slow atm. 2MB/s for memory operations. Not sure how enabling caches will improve that. I need to manually flush the caches in that case and that will also hit performance.