English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 January 2021, 07:39   #1
CryptidWorks

Zorro III Garbled Colors

I'm 90% of the way through setting up a machine and I've hit one final brick wall

I'm running into an ongoing issue with the UAE Zorro III where no matter what I do or how many times I've rebuilt the emulated system with fresh OS installs any graphics that aren't native Workbench assets have garbled colors no matter what color depth I select

This Amiga format art archive disc I have inserted in the screenshots shows it well but there's a couple caps of games doing weird things. The only that loaded right has part of the image cut off and was frozen there.

These are games from 1992 so they shouldn't have any issues on the emulated A4000 hardware

Using the default 2MB chip memory, 128MB fast Z3, and 64MB vram on the GPU so nothing extreme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_13_00_17_54_693.png
Views:	180
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	70325   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_13_00_33_21_694.png
Views:	166
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	70326   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_13_00_30_50_980.png
Views:	170
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	70327  
Attached Files
File Type: uae Amiga 3.9.uae (12.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 13 January 2021, 09:51   #2
Aardvark

The right image is probably cut off because it uses PAL resolution, and your machine is in NTSC mode.

Old version of Deluxe Pacman (tested 1.1 version) is glitchy like that on A4000, being released in 1992 doesn't ensure compatibility.

Can't help on how to fix icon palette, sorry.
Old 13 January 2021, 10:59   #3
thomas

In Prefs/Workbench there is an "enable MagicWB colors" checkbox. It will fix the drawers and the order_form icon.

To get the Eric Schwartz icons correctly, there is an icon on the CD which changes the screen mode to PAL with limited colors and the correct palette. I'm afraid there is no good way to make them look correct on a true color RTG screen.
Old 13 January 2021, 11:08   #4
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
The right image is probably cut off because it uses PAL resolution, and your machine is in NTSC mode.

Old version of Deluxe Pacman (tested 1.1 version) is glitchy like that on A4000, being released in 1992 doesn't ensure compatibility.

Can't help on how to fix icon palette, sorry.
Now I just feel like the luck of the draw is screwing with me to ensure every game I decide to test is either graphically broken in some way on the Amiga 4000 hardware or from the wrong region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
In Prefs/Workbench there is an "enable MagicWB colors" checkbox. It will fix the drawers and the order_form icon.

To get the Eric Schwartz icons correctly, there is an icon on the CD which changes the screen mode to PAL with limited colors and the correct palette. I'm afraid there is no good way to make them look correct on a true color RTG screen.
I'm kind of curious now why an American artist released a CD formatted for the PAL screen mode and color pallet
Old 13 January 2021, 11:25   #5
lilwshu

What are you trying to achieve with your Amiga OS build? You have picked a combination of hardware specs, add-ons (RTG) and OS that is most likely to have compatibility issues with stuff like games.
Old 13 January 2021, 11:25   #6
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post

That seems to have been it. Going through the on-disc apps that change the screen mode and colors to what the CD expects makes them mostly display correctly outside of a couple odd images that still open garbled

The animations even play fine

I'm still getting those weird errors now and again while changing screen modes though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_13_04_12_06_561.png
Views:	142
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	70330   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_13_04_11_57_743.png
Views:	142
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	70331  
Old 13 January 2021, 11:30   #7
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
What are you trying to achieve with your Amiga OS build? You have picked a combination of hardware specs, add-ons (RTG) and OS that is most likely to have compatibility issues with stuff like games.
Goal #1 was just seeing if I could get the fastest system I could built to get the animations on that art CD to play, and just to see in general if I could emulate it full speed. I had no idea the fastest thing possible would basically break most games when I started this endeavor.

Also I know how to use everything now that I've stumbled through the biggest pain-in-the-ass setup I could assemble

Now that I know I'm not going to hit a performance barrier anywhere I'll look into what the most universally compatible specs for an Amiga would be
Old 13 January 2021, 11:36   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is normal for games to have all kinds of weird glitches when system is "too fast" or game is made before AGA existed etc..

WB errors looks like some part of system misdetects color space endian (RGB vs BGR) but part works correctly. Looks quite strange. Probably some software conflict or some weird Picasso96 version. I have never heard basic WB setup having this kind of problem.

But note that there are many RTG compatible games that will have this kind of color problem because they assume specific color mode (most display cards back in the day had RGB color order, later ones were mostly BGR)

You can try disabling/enabling WinUAE RTG panel color modes (RGB vs BGR) to work around it. RGB probably fixes it. BGR is the default because it is more optimal in emulation.

This is not emulation problem.
Old 13 January 2021, 11:39   #9
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is normal for games to have all kinds of weird glitches when system is "too fast" or game is made before AGA existed etc..

WB errors looks like some part of system misdetects color space endian (RGB vs BGR) but part works correctly. Looks quite strange. Probably some software conflict or some weird Picasso96 version. I have never heard basic WB setup having this kind of problem.

But note that there are many RTG compatible games that will have this kind of color problem because they assume specific color mode (most display cards back in the day had RGB color order, later ones were mostly BGR)

You can try disabling/enabling WinUAE RTG panel color modes (RGB vs BGR) to work around it. RGB probably fixes it. BGR is the default because it is more optimal in emulation.

This is not emulation problem.
Strangely enough I'm just using the Picasso96 that came on the WB3.9 ISO.

What settings would you recommend for a machine that's just more universally compatible without as much fuss for games?
Old 13 January 2021, 12:37   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptidWorks View Post
What settings would you recommend for a machine that's just more universally compatible without as much fuss for games?
A500 for OCS / ECS Games.

A1200 for AGA games.

You can also use WHDLoad on an A1200 for A500 games that wouldn't usually work on AGA.

OS, no need for anything above 3.1 really.
Old 14 January 2021, 00:38   #11
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
A500 for OCS / ECS Games.

A1200 for AGA games.

You can also use WHDLoad on an A1200 for A500 games that wouldn't usually work on AGA.

OS, no need for anything above 3.1 really.

On an A1200 is there a specific "GPU" to emulate or just forgo an expanded graphics board entirely?
Old 14 January 2021, 07:27   #12
Aardvark

On WinUAE, UAE Zorro III works just fine with A1200 as well. On a real A1200 you would need PCI/Zorro busboard expansion.

GPU is useless for 99% of amiga games.