English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 29 April 2021, 23:41   #1
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Segmentation fault VBCC on Debian target warpos

In the hope that phx sees this:

I compiled vbcc, vlink and vasm for TARGET ppc and SYNTAX std (where applicable). All latest source snapshots (vscppc did not compile but that is besides this posting. I noticed it not being part of the makefile).

Now when I try to compile a source file to an object file with vc +warpos -c99 -O3 the compiler gives a segment fault.

A simple HelloWorld with just a printf compiles fine with above vc parameters

The segmentation fault seems to be in vbccpcc. Actual command as formed by invoking vc is something like:

vbccppc -quiet <src> -o=<target.scs> -c99 -I<someinc> -dontwarn=<somenum> -sc -poweropen -madd -I$VBCC/targets/ppc-warpos/include -I$INCLUDE_H

When I either leave out -O=-1 or -poweropen, it compiles fine.

I also tried the static compiled linux executables. Any suggestions?
Old 30 April 2021, 11:26   #2
phx
Natteravn

There is not much I can say, without something to reproduce the crash. I admit I haven't done much WarpOS tests during the last months, but I just compiled our whole testsuite with -O3 for WarpOS and there was nothing.

So you have to provide me some example source. Compile it with -E, so you get the preprocessor output file with .i extension, which includes all header files. Then contact me by mail.
Old 30 April 2021, 20:41   #3
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

You got mail :-)
Old 01 May 2021, 18:49   #4
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Just a public 'thank you' to Frank and Volker for fixing this. And in the meantime I found another Segmentation Error :-)
Old 01 May 2021, 21:20   #5
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Just a public 'thank you' to Frank and Volker for fixing this. And in the meantime I found another Segmentation Error :-)

Much as I loathe facebook, I find myself wishing more and more that forums had a "Like" button - because this definitely deserves a like.

Both Franke and Volker were really helpful and enthusiastic when I started tinkering with a custom vbcc backend about 18 months ago, and I find myself appreciating the gem that is the vbcc / vasm / vlink toolchain all the more every time I tangle with GCC.

A few days ago I needed to build a simple Megadrive ROM to try and find a bug in an FPGA core - I found a GCC-based devkit online, and I watched an entire movie while the toolchain was compiling. In the end I gave up on that avenue and used vasm to build the ROM instead.