Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 October 2018, 12:28   #141
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
kipper
Old 18 October 2018, 13:57   #142
Flasheart

I agree with all the other comments here. Thank you for all the hard work Kipper. I'm only just back to the scene after years away... Anyway, good that you are back. I'm in the UK so will probably get one from here in a later batch. I would like 2 A1200, 1 A500 and if it gets done a USB replica Big Box version to use on my PC.

Old 18 October 2018, 15:07   #143
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The biggest problem you will find in 10 years will be getting new keycaps, that is where the cost is, trying to replace the original style of keys.
I thought the whole point of Cherry switches is that it should be easy to get new keycaps - in whatever style or colour. Keyboard sites like Deskthority have doubleshot keycap group buys all the time. We just need a keycap group buy (from Signature Plastics) with Amiga specific keys. (but I don't know specifics because I've never had to buy Cherry keycaps - until now)

I don't know why anyone would want to do original style keys. This is our chance to get quality doubleshot (not pad printed) keys in nice colours.

(current Deskthority group buy example)

Last edited by mr_a500; 18 October 2018 at 15:16.
Old 18 October 2018, 15:13   #144
Lane

Interested in an A1200 and A600 keyboard...
Old 18 October 2018, 15:15   #145
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I thought the whole point of Cherry switches is that it should be easy to get new keycaps - in whatever style or colour. Keyboard sites like Deskthority have doubleshot keycap group buys all the time. We just need a keycap group buy (from Signature Plastics) with Amiga specific keys. (but I don't know specifics because I've never had to buy Cherry keycaps - until now)

I don't know why anyone would want to do original style keys. This is our chance to get quality doubleshot (not pad printed) keys in nice colours.

(current Deskthority group buy example)
Exactly!!
go there and order 5 Amiga sets, it will cost you $270 for each set and also $50 each to add the Amiga logos, add another $1 for the lens on the capslock keycap and also $1 for the NTSC keys. This is why we are doing the group purchase from there. They are not cheap. THis is where we are negotiating with now. If you want to create a keyboard with the correct sizes and angles for the Amiga layout then this is the best option. The spacebar is also a special build as the 3 mounts are at a different spacing so regular stabilizer bars do not fit.

I have done the numbers, feel free to try to persuade Melissa to get a better price, also when you start adding multiple colours the price takes off again lol, also imagine the extra cost for exporting shipping costs and import fees, it will all add to the cost, this is why it makes sense to me to have someone in the USA do the group buy as the initial costs will be lower and this translates into lower customer costs

When i stated Amiga specific keys i meant the physical sizes, they are part of the DCS family, the only family i have found that contain all the necessary sizes to maintain the correct keyboard layout

Last edited by kipper2k; 18 October 2018 at 15:30.
Old 18 October 2018, 15:28   #146
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

OK so you were just saying the price was the problem, not actually finding new keycaps.

I wouldn't mind paying that price if they were amazing spherical doubleshots - but certainly not if they looked exactly the same as regular boring beige A500 keycaps.
Old 18 October 2018, 15:30   #147
Mick

Will the standard keyset be as durable as the original keys? the reason I ask is I have a Filco and some of the keys (WSAD mainly) are already starting to wear after just a few months which is rather shocking. The markings seem to be painted on as opposed to stickers as you can feel the texture.
Old 18 October 2018, 15:31   #148
kipper2k

Quote:
OK so you were just saying the price was the problem, not actually finding new keycaps.

I wouldn't mind paying that price if they were amazing spherical doubleshots - but certainly not if they looked exactly the same as regular boring beige A500 keycaps.

read this...

http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/wp.../DCSFamily.pdf

the keys are doubleshot. ABS, and a lot of colours to choose from but unless you have lots of money then a single or small group buy is not economical

Last edited by kipper2k; 18 October 2018 at 15:38.
Old 18 October 2018, 15:37   #149
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
read this...

http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/wp.../DCSFamily.pdf

the keys are doubleshot
Bah! Cylindrical! Why? Why? Oh God why?
Old 18 October 2018, 15:39   #150
Mick

So the keys kipper is sourcing are doubleshot? why not just offer extra sets when ordering for those wanting spares or multiple colours/sets? won't that bring the bulk price down?
Old 18 October 2018, 15:45   #151
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
So the keys kipper is sourcing are doubleshot? why not just offer extra sets when ordering for those wanting spares or different colours? won't that bring the bulk price down?
I like that idea, thing is that someone needs to invest the extra cash to buy extra sets when at the moment we are unsure of demand, that is why the preorder will be started tomorrow so we can see...
for example we order 100 sets using the 2 colour amiga keycaps, we get the price for 100..
if i want 50 black sets then that price is at a higher level. so we are trying to base prices at a 100 set level which is risky as we need 100 people to be part of that colour group. As you can see it is little messy
Old 18 October 2018, 15:45   #152
trixster
Guru Meditating

Wow, absolutely amazing project, very nice indeed!

Sorry to ask a dumb question that has probably already been addressed, but how would uk-based customers go about ordering one of these keyboards in fully assembled drop-in-place form? Is it to email Amiga-on-the-lake now, or will a uk distributer be announced shortly?
Old 18 October 2018, 15:52   #153
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Wow, absolutely amazing project, very nice indeed!

Sorry to ask a dumb question that has probably already been addressed, but how would uk-based customers go about ordering one of these keyboards in fully assembled drop-in-place form? Is it to email Amiga-on-the-lake now, or will a uk distributer be announced shortly?
Hi, There will be someone in the UK (probably a few) that will be ordering the basic boards so they come direct from China, as i stated, someone in the USA will be doing a group buy on the keys and switches and will sell as kits. this keeps down the cost and decrease wait time. If you don't want to build it yourself (which is pretty simple) i am sure that someone can do it for a few beer (after the job is done lol.
Old 18 October 2018, 16:00   #154
treqie

I was reading on your website, is it two kinds of keyboards or one? It sounded like you were making a membrane one, and a cherrymx?
Was hoping for like a sturdy pcb version of the original membrane. That would be less fragile, and be able to use the original keys.
But I guess space is a bigger problem with that, fitting it on top of the the metal holding the membrane.
Old 18 October 2018, 16:01   #155
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Bah! Cylindrical! Why? Why? Oh God why?
No-one is forcing you to buy anything man, if you don't like what is going to be offered, then don't get involved.

It's hard enough trying to work out all the logistics of this, a hobby project done in peoples spare time, without folk being really dickish on forums.

Lets at least let Kipper get the first batch out the door before making him feel like he wants to chuck the towel in because no-one is 'happy' ...
Old 18 October 2018, 16:03   #156
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqie View Post
I was reading on your website, is it two kinds of keyboards or one? It sounded like you were making a membrane one, and a cherrymx?
Was hoping for like a sturdy pcb version of the original membrane. That would be less fragile, and be able to use the original keys.
But I guess space is a bigger problem with that, fitting it on top of the the metal holding the membrane.
I do have the pcb membrane types for the a500/a600 and a1200, they are thin enough to sit inside the metal frame with no problems as i am using a thin PCB
i will have some passed on for resale in a bit, these have pretty well been forgotten about with the MX but for those people wanting to keep using their original keyboards this is a nice way to do it.
Old 18 October 2018, 16:06   #157
treqie

Quote:
I do have the pcb membrane types for the a500/a600 and a1200, they are thin enough to sit inside the metal frame with no problems as i am using a thin PCB
i will have some passed on for resale in a bit
Really? Well that sounds great. Never liked the clicky-clicky sounds from mechanical switches. How does it connect to the motherboard? Just ordinary cables and a connector? And do you have an estimate on price for it?
Old 18 October 2018, 16:16   #158
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
No-one is forcing you to buy anything man, if you don't like what is going to be offered, then don't get involved.
Well duh. Can't I just show disappointment without this kind of comment always coming up? I suppose I have to put 15 smileys every post to avoid this. (but even that doesn't usually work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
It's hard enough trying to work out all the logistics of this, a hobby project done in peoples spare time, without folk being really dickish on forums.

Lets at least let Kipper get the first batch out the door before making him feel like he wants to chuck the towel in because no-one is 'happy' ...
I wasn't being "dickish". I already thanked Kipper for his amazing work. That was just my sudden explosive disappointment.

Let me explain this disappointment... it's like running a marathon and just before you cross the finish line, somebody kicks you in the groin with steel toed boots. No wait, that doesn't quite work... It's like a starving man coming out of the wilderness and someone offers pizza, but toppings include rat poison and broken glass.

This doesn't mean I don't think Kipper is doing his best. I'm just disappointed at the outcome. Carry on.
Old 18 October 2018, 16:16   #159
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqie View Post
Really? Well that sounds great. Never liked the clicky-clicky sounds from mechanical switches. How does it connect to the motherboard? Just ordinary cables and a connector? And do you have an estimate on price for it?
you remove your old membrane, put this in its place and then you have a few options....

on an a500 depending which version you get

- use original controller connect using regular 8 pin connector
- use the new built in controller and connect using 8 pin connector

on an a1200...

- use original 32 pin connector
- use plcc connector (WIP)

price will prob be about $29 - $39 USD dependent on version used

on an a600

- use 30 pin connector
- mabbe use plcc (depends if i add the controller cct). The A600 version replaces the lower metal frame, it is not needed as i used thicker PCB, All blue and green versions are supported on the same pcb

Will be a few weeks before i can clean these up ready for public use
Old 18 October 2018, 16:28   #160
treqie

Quote:
you remove your old membrane, put this in its place and then you have a few options....

on an a500 depending which version you get

- use original controller connect using regular 8 pin connector
- use the new built in controller and connect using 8 pin connector

on an a1200...

- use original 32 pin connector
- use plcc connector (WIP)

price will prob be about $29 - $39 USD dependent on version used

on an a600

- use 30 pin connector
- mabbe use plcc (depends if i add the controller cct)

Will be a few weeks before i can clean these up ready for public use
Yeah was interested in one for A1200.
I once had my 1200 in a tower case, and for you to use a external keyboard, I had like a.. din-adapter/controller-thingy that fit into the connector on the motherboard. Is it something like that, the 30 pin connector? Well, as long as I can get rid of how it is now, I'm interested.