English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 April 2009, 06:02   #1
Slayer
Amiga Member

SAM 800mhz Arrives

Imagine me creating a news item? there must be something wrong here! ie generally I want everyone to stay in the dark... anyway

I'll be ordering the newer SAM tonight with 512megs... swap out my current SAM board and use it as a back up and install the newer slightly faster MB with 1 gig memory, if I need a new graphics card, hell, they are a dim a dozen...

Time to join the AmigaOS4.x age... bring back the community spirit...

If your problem is comparable hardware and cost verses the current SAM range attitude then please stay out of this thread... your idealistic mentality is well documented and understood... rest easy that your insight and understanding saves you a fate worse than death... now let us more positive more Amiga orientated individuals decide what we should do with what is available to us today and move on from the 'classic' hole some call home
Old 03 April 2009, 09:39   #2
chiark
Needs a life

Good news.

I'd love to join, but at the moment the cost is a little prohibitive for me. either way, it's good that new hardware is around
Old 03 April 2009, 10:03   #3
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
If your problem is comparable hardware and cost verses the current SAM range attitude then please stay out of this thread... your idealistic mentality is well documented and understood... rest easy that your insight and understanding saves you a fate worse than death... now let us more positive more Amiga orientated individuals decide what we should do with what is available to us today and move on from the 'classic' hole some call home
and you actually believe that by MOCKING and using sarcasm towards other people that have different opinions, you will achieve to make them NOT POST on the "backwards board" (as you described it yourslef) that is EAB ???
why? because you are so cool?
Old 03 April 2009, 10:13   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd recommend a Sam Coupé over a SAM440
Old 03 April 2009, 10:25   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The Sam coupe is intresting! Will it run OS4

The main thing I dislike about the Sam boards is the price and lack of support for Uae(UAE 68k>PPC+jit) theres no way this can replace WinUae - While I wish Acube all the best Ill have to wait for some cheap PPC hardware.

:But ofcourse there is the 68k emulation built into OS4 for running apps basicly native as only the 68k code is emulated and the libraries and devices from OS4 are used.

Last edited by Retro1234; 03 April 2009 at 10:40.
Old 03 April 2009, 10:38   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
The Sam coupe is interesting! Will it run OS4
No worse than a SAM440 I would guess.
Old 03 April 2009, 11:23   #7
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
and you actually believe that by MOCKING and using sarcasm towards other people that have different opinions, you will achieve to make them NOT POST on the "backwards board" (as you described it yourslef) that is EAB ???
why? because you are so cool?
I posted this before I saw your post it was waiting approval

I am Pro Amiga whether or not I am cool is irrelevant

It appears a few of the locals here continue to believe they are above following any guidelines or common sense... not much I can do about it
Old 03 April 2009, 11:29   #8
Slayer
Amiga Member

btw, it isn't mocking or sarcasm it happens to be the truth, anything posted about anything new is always struck by the same people on this board... KEEP OUT of PRO AMIGA threads!

There is nothing wrong with OS4 or the new hardware... live with it! and please avoid it if you find it so distasteful

I've just noticed you in particular keropi always the first to comment on new products, saying the SAM MB was a bad design comes to mind... just keep away from stuff that annoys you man...

sheesh
Old 03 April 2009, 11:30   #9
keropi

Quote:
I posted this before I saw your post it was waiting approval

I am Pro Amiga whether or not I am cool is irrelevant

It appears a few of the locals here continue to believe they are above following any guidelines or common sense... not much I can do about it
last time I checked me and you are in no position to enforce any kind of posting guidlines... you are overwhelmed with enthousiasm obviously but that does not give you the right to pre-bash people that have other opinion with VALID points.

edit: and the SAM is a bad design, and the FLEX even worst! I would like to see you fitting that in a case... perhaps easy because it comes with no backplate? and YEAH, I WILL POST WHEREVER I like , whether we agree or disagree on a topic, that is what forums are for.
and YES, I do tend to comment on new hardware, see my replies on indivision, deneb etc. If something is GOOD, it is worth saying, like when something is of questionable usage/quality. WHEN YOU DO use a SAM, come tell me more.
Old 03 April 2009, 11:34   #10
Slayer
Amiga Member

If I was a mod all your posts would be removed, I am not excited I am just tired of this boards view on freedom of speech, change the name to English Emulation Board and I'll be on my way otherwise Piss Off with your anti Amiga Shit, this is STILL an Amiga Board! and the Amiga is evolving for some of us not lost in years past like the rest of you seem stuck in...

I've already said in many posts REALISM (your freaking VALID) has NO place in a Pro Amiga Thread... Fuck, we already know what the limitiations are and what we have... the pros and cons...

so drop the same damn sing a long you all like to hum too... perhaps this thread will wake someone up... LOL
Old 03 April 2009, 11:37   #11
keropi

judging from your age, I would AT LEAST expect some answers to what I have asked you about. but I was wrong.
and guess what? you will never be a mod, thank god!
Old 03 April 2009, 11:43   #12
Slayer
Amiga Member

Huh?

I didn't see your edit and also, I don't have to answer anything you ask, do I look like Dr Ruth? I've had a SAM since December... read my first post... The Flex will be my second SAM...

guess ya just saw SAM and go OOooh better shit on this thread too...

And guess what? I'm probably not a mod merely because I don't live here, I'm saner than you'll ever be!
Old 03 April 2009, 11:48   #13
keropi

you don't have to answer anything I ask, yet you feel the need to bash, and somehow enforce posting guidlines. plus the illusion of "IF I was a mod I would remove your posts...etc"
are you sure you took your morning pills?
Old 03 April 2009, 12:04   #14
kriz

Its cool! All new hardware is very much welcome !
Old 03 April 2009, 14:19   #15
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Ooooooh Noooo! Another Sam tart throwing thread...
Old 03 April 2009, 16:09   #16
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I like the "classic hole" its comfy in here with my REAL amigas.
Old 03 April 2009, 19:39   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I like the "classic hole" its comfy in here with my REAL amigas.
Agreed. The SAM Amiga although nice in running OS4 is way overpriced (great way to capture a dead market with no support) and is really not what the Amiga was about to begin with.

If you wish to use OS4 though Slayer with all good intent then by all means use it, but please do not use the argument that we all wish to stay in past and not move forward because i tend to use something called "logic" and my logic tells me that if i go spending that kind of money on something with zero support in a world that economically is flailing and so in turn my spending habits need to be reflected more wisely, then so be it.

If i had the money to burn (as i am sure many others wish they did) then yeah i would just go out and buy a SAM board, fire it up and give it shot, but its not cost effective and i would enjoy my classic Amiga a hell of a lot more anyway because you cannot bring back the glory with the SAM board in the same way the Classic Amiga did, and that is a fact.

Quote:
If your problem is comparable hardware and cost verses the current SAM range attitude then please stay out of this thread... your idealistic mentality is well documented and understood...
No its not idealistic, its valid and its "reality". And how is this thread supposed to "wake us up"? All it has awoken is the realisation that you cannot accept that the Amiga died a long time ago and your lack of acceptance blinds you into believing that you are right and everyone else is wrong because you just cannot "let go".

And no i am not "Anti Amiga", i used my Amiga's from 1990 till the year 2000 and then got it up and running again a few years back, so in telling you this you may say that i cannot "let go" either, but this is not about holding on for me (i don't believe in hording shit) its about a Classic machine with a Classic history with some great memories with the acceptance that it is time to move on by spending money on things that will better serve me "today" and that is something you "cannot" judge others for doing.

If you want to use OS4 then by all means use it and "yes" i do like what i have seen of it, but like i said... Whats in it for me? not a great deal as far as what i can see mate, and spending the money to support something overpriced just so i can support the impossibility of the Amiga's return and i struggle to make my monthly payments as a result is not a viable option. How many people on here do you think have the money to whip out to buy a system that doesn't offer enough support thus in turn the incentive behind it?

And you want to move onto "more positive Amiga orientated individuals"? Your comment is comparable to someone walking into an advanced Chemistry class with the intent of finishing within 6 months whilst doing 4 other subjects and working full time. Its not about being "negative" its about assessing the situation and "seeing" it for what it really is.

Last edited by blade002; 03 April 2009 at 20:21.
Old 03 April 2009, 20:43   #18
CU_AMiGA
Banned

The Amiga is a busty blonde model whereas the SAM is a little old woman!
Old 03 April 2009, 20:51   #19
aphextwinned

Whatever Blade002 said

Old 03 April 2009, 23:07   #20
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphextwinned View Post
Whatever Blade002 said
+1

Why would I want a SAM over my 1200 ? I know its so I can spend an a small fortune to take advantage of the raft of new Amiga software that is being released every day?

Or is it some sort of Penis substitute ? "Look at me I have an 800 Mhz Amiga".... which does what exactly ? I'm not bashing SAM owners but really... some people need a reality check. The Amiga "died" years ago.... myself, and many others on this board, like it for a nostalgia kick since we can play the games we used to play.... some even use it as a supplement to whatever their main machine is - not a problem.

Anti-Amiga, not at all... I think trhat for its time it WAS a great platform, like Acorn and Risc OS. Anything which encourages people to take an interest is great, including newer hardware. But please don't try and fool me/everyone else and their donkeys that the SAM is the beginning of a great Amiga revival... it isn't and it never will be.... sorry to burst your bubble.

I mean yeah I'll buy a Sam to play Quake 1 with USB and an AGP graphics card... but wait I can spend $30 and buy an old PIII for that as well... or I can download a new GL frontend and play it on my current PC.

"But os 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.9, 6.66 x is the dogs balls and all other OS'es are Shit"

Fair enough, if you want to run OS 4x+ thats your priviledge.... although I don't see the point in "playing" operating systems.

Winblows/Mac OS - But its not an AAAAMIIIIIGAAAA! 0neone1 No its not, but theres a hell of a lot more life in the platforms than the current Amiga.

Slayer

You've bought a SAM... good for you, have fun enjoy, but please dont start thinking that makes you better than the rest of us who are happy with older "classic" hardware. It doesn't, it just makes you look fucking ignorant. In fact that would be doing the SAM a disservice, you are making a fine fist of that on your own.