English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 August 2009, 00:44   #1
lost_lemming

Red face (it DID search this trust me) can't run alot of 500's on my 1200

games that is. You guys are probably sick and tired of this scenario from newbies like me but trust me I did all the searches like 'running A500 games on A1200' and many combinations!!

Did google too and a few other forums suggested a disk called relokick but as I kept reading some people were saying it wasn't working for all games.
I have quite a collection of games too everything from, I dunno, Pipemania to Zool 2. and alot a few midi sequencers / trackers too.

I don't have a harddisk either, please tell me there's an easier way of doing it without having to install a harddisk!

PS. I tried the mousebutton hold on reboot and disabling things trick but it doesn't work.
Old 31 August 2009, 01:15   #2
NovaCoder

Sorry but you really do need a harddisk.

Why don't you want to install one, it's pretty easy?

Have you got any FASTRAM installed?

If you have a HD & 4MB+ of FASTRAM installed you can play loads of old 500, 600, 1200 & CD32 games at the perfect speed with a simple double click of an icon in WB with WHDLOAD....easy

No floppy swapping and no incompatibility problems, my kind of retro gaming

Last edited by NovaCoder; 01 September 2009 at 01:56.
Old 31 August 2009, 01:24   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Yep, there aren't too many things easier than fitting a hard drive to your Amiga 1200.

All you need is the drive, a cable and some double-sided sticky pads (if the RF shield is still intact).
Old 31 August 2009, 12:46   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Hi lemming,

I'll give you two good starters:

http://www.geraldyuen.me.uk/gamesfixes/

http://web.archive.org/web/200711031...ames.com/gage/

(sorry archive link only, Dr. Zarkov seems to have forgotten about his own site. it still reads "we will return in May 2008")

These two contain lots of tricks and will also tell you that some disk-based games (originals!!) DO NOT want to work on your 1200 under any circumstances. For some of them, only way out is WHDload.
Old 31 August 2009, 12:53   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I agree WHDload is the way to go - But if you realy want to run disks try Relokick available from AMR and theres a version on Planetemu.
Also Hold down both mouse buttons durring reboot and change Chipset.
Some games have AGA versions so just download these.
Old 01 September 2009, 17:15   #6
lost_lemming

ok thanks guys. looks like it's harddisk time!! will jsut have to save a few more pennies first
Old 01 September 2009, 22:43   #7
Photon

A huge harddisk costs about the same as one game title for consoles.

If you want to save money, you could get a CF card adapter for 2 bob and a 4 GB card for a couple tenners.
Old 02 September 2009, 01:03   #8
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
A huge harddisk costs about the same as one game title for consoles.
ah okeydokey.

by the way before I plunge one in. got a quick question, and this is more to do with WHDload. Basically, will mag coverdisks work properly on it? ie. Amiga Format and Amiga CU. ? or hasn't any of those mag demo's been added to the archive cause whdload is like an archive of working games right?
Old 02 September 2009, 01:13   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
...or hasn't any of those mag demo's been added to the archive cause whdload is like an archive of working games right?
Right!
Old 02 September 2009, 01:17   #10
lost_lemming

okay well I think I'll still do this harddisk & whdload anyway because it's been recomended alot on these forums
Old 02 September 2009, 04:17   #11
skateblind
Village Idiot

There are plenty of downgraders available, like relokick, if one doesn't work, then another might.
Old 02 September 2009, 06:25   #12
EreWeGo

Quote:
okay well I think I'll still do this harddisk & whdload anyway because it's been recomended alot on these forums
Good choice mate, you won't regret it - so much easier having your collection of games on hard drive, and whdload etc. You'll wonder how you ever put up with the disk-swapping once you use this option!

I just used a 2Gb CF card, which I pre-configured on my PC using WinUAE, then plugged it into an IDE adaptor on my A1200, and booted straight to workbench and have never looked back!

There are still some games that run best by using degraders and floppies, but the huge number of games that do work using WHDLoad more than make up for it!

*Edit* - BTW, the CF to IDE adaptor cost me a couple of bucks off EBay, (plus a few dollars more postage), and the CF card was around $10 or so. The hardest part was setting up and configuring workbench etc, but even that was pretty easy with the tons of info/guides on this and other sites.
Old 02 September 2009, 07:41   #13
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EreWeGo View Post
There are still some games that run best by using degraders and floppies, but the huge number of games that do work using WHDLoad more than make up for it!
Don't forget 289 installable demos: http://www.whdload.de/demos/all.html
Old 02 September 2009, 08:00   #14
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
or hasn't any of those mag demo's been added to the archive cause whdload is like an archive of working games right?
There are some individual game demos that have installs however.
Old 09 September 2009, 17:21   #15
lost_lemming

Hi what is the RF shield? the tin can that hides the motherboard?
Old 09 September 2009, 18:16   #16
kipper2k

Quote:
games that is. You guys are probably sick and tired of this scenario from newbies like me but trust me I did all the searches like 'running A500 games on A1200' and many combinations!!

Did google too and a few other forums suggested a disk called relokick but as I kept reading some people were saying it wasn't working for all games.
I have quite a collection of games too everything from, I dunno, Pipemania to Zool 2. and alot a few midi sequencers / trackers too.

I don't have a harddisk either, please tell me there's an easier way of doing it without having to install a harddisk!

PS. I tried the mousebutton hold on reboot and disabling things trick but it doesn't work.

You can also use Tude degrader which will degrade your A1200 to an A500. Making a bootable disk with Tude installed will allow a lot of A500 games to work on your "degraded" A1200. If you don't have the cash to upgrade to a HD/CF card at the moment this will work for you.
Old 10 September 2009, 08:08   #17
Graham Humphrey

You can now find all the hard drive-related posts in this thread.
Old 15 September 2009, 04:18   #18
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Hi what is the RF shield? the tin can that hides the motherboard?
Yeah, you can toss it and you will need to if you get the indivision AGA board. Another great add on for your 1200.

I found transferring Bloodwych's "ClassicWB" to a CF card on my PC/WinUAE a great way to get a WHDload ready system up with minimal fuss. Just register WHDload and go! There are so many working WHDload games you will run yourself silly playing them before you ever get around to the few that don't.
Old 17 September 2009, 00:29   #19
lost_lemming

ok thanks illy5603 I will try this whdload later. the only reason I want to get Tude working first is, i have alot more cover disk demo games than I do, real bought boxed full games.

anyway, I have this new problem with Tude, I tick the box kickstart 3.1. and hit 'exit and run selected options' but i just get this stupid window coming up saying Tude: unknown commandd
Tude: failed returncode 10.

so i then went to read the readmenow file that came with it and it's on about putting this file kick34005.a500 in Devs/kickstarts.

but i dont have a folder called kickstarts so i made me own one haha. Then i found the file kick34005.a500.pat in Skick like it told me do and I copied it into my devs/kickstarts but it still doesn't work any idea? it's defiently not my fault though I reckon tude is buggy
Old 17 September 2009, 00:32   #20
prowler
Global Moderator

Uh Oh!! Watch out! It's 11:30pm BST - lost-lemming's tricky questions time again!