English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 16 January 2020, 11:16   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

Jim Power CD32

FYI, a friend of Earok contacted me about Jim Power. Apparently this person bought the rights and wants to create an official CD32 version, possibly with audio tracks and is willing to pay me to do the job

It also means that the foreground gfx trash will need to be fixed. I know that Stingray was working on that a few months ago.

only drawback: this will be a commercial product, not free.
Old 16 January 2020, 11:42   #2
Gzegzolka

nice today I have seen cool kickstarter animation on Youtube of JimPower [ Show youtube player ].
I am sure colectors would love to buy it
Old 16 January 2020, 11:43   #3
Amigajay

Yeah saw the Kickstarter, then saw it would be having CD audio and thought they must have got JOTD on board as he is the only guy in the Amiga scene who can do such a job!
Old 16 January 2020, 12:24   #4
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
FYI, a friend of Earok contacted me about Jim Power. Apparently this person bought the rights and wants to create an official CD32 version, possibly with audio tracks and is willing to pay me to do the job

It also means that the foreground gfx trash will need to be fixed. I know that Stingray was working on that a few months ago.

only drawback: this will be a commercial product, not free.
cool Jeff,

It would be nice to replace Jim's horrible amiga animation using sprites from another version for example (Pc engine)

or better way to have the choice of the character which is different version on PC / snes / megadrive and PC-engine
Old 16 January 2020, 17:53   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

Yes, the person asked me if it was possible. Looks difficult, but it seems that we could get access to the source code, probably would help

I specially hate when Jim rises his arms when falling down. Ridiculous.

@Gzegzolka We definitely NEED to CDXL this movie and put that on the CD32 version!
Old 16 January 2020, 18:06   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Try and Rip the Hero Sprites with GFXRip or Maptaper to see how there stored
Old 16 January 2020, 18:36   #7
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Yes, the person asked me if it was possible. Looks difficult, but it seems that we could get access to the source code, probably would help

I specially hate when Jim rises his arms when falling down. Ridiculous.

@Gzegzolka We definitely NEED to CDXL this movie and put that on the CD32 version!
badly ridicullous movement is on all versions except is just when you jump on Snes/PC engine and not when you are falling.

but better animation seems to be on megadrive and also on snes

Last edited by CFou!; 17 January 2020 at 10:20.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:53   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=219

If that's there Dimensions 704*216 you can find them in WinUae SaveState then see how there stored on Floppy and what compression and if there possible to replace etc.
Old 17 January 2020, 09:58   #9
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Wow, this is great news! And to me it is not a drawback at all that it will be a commercial product. The opposite is the case. Looking forward to a great CD32 release!

And the intro is superb, really awesome!
Old 17 January 2020, 10:50   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

The person provided me with a lot of stuff, including some CD music, SNES sprites & source code!

Of course the parallax gfx fix we'll have to do for the release will benefit for the whdload version too.
Old 17 January 2020, 11:26   #11
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

BTW, this is the Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-and-cd32-game.

Maybe you would like to put that in your first comment, jotd?
Old 18 January 2020, 18:17   #12
SteveUK

It would be great if it was more than the Amiga port with cd audio. It would be great to add more colours and or better gfx if possible.
Old 18 January 2020, 18:44   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUK View Post
It would be great if it was more than the Amiga port with cd audio. It would be great to add more colours and or better gfx if possible.
Jim Power needs............ more colours???????????

Whilst Jim Power is in Dual Playfield mode, it is actually one of the most colourful games on the Amiga.
Old 18 January 2020, 18:49   #14
jotd
This cat is no more

Since it's a CD32 port, it would be theorically possible to make an AGA conversion (since we have access to the source code) and add more colors. The first playfield shows lack of colors. There are greens/reds/white, but not much.

But I can't imagine how hard it could be even with the source. I know CFOU converted some titles to AGA, but they weren't using special amiga tricks like dual playfield and scrolling and all.
Old 18 January 2020, 18:55   #15
Misclegend
Banned

more colors on Jim power?

Jim power needs a patch for less colors
it's too colorful and vibrant, destroy your eyes, especially if you play it in a 1084s monitor
would have to lower the gamma a little so that it looks more calm
Old 18 January 2020, 19:06   #16
Amigajay

I don’t think it needs more colours per se, but i’ve never liked the use of colours in this game, minty green grass and green walls, then add 50 random colours for the background, i’m guessing with Loriciel the ST version was made first with limited colours and then they went overboard with the Amiga version!

Looking at the other versions, the console versions also have the weird colour palette too, it’s only the VGA DOS version that improves on them all graphically.
Old 18 January 2020, 19:26   #17
SteveUK

I wasnt sure if the original developers choose those colours due to a lack of a colour pallete on the original amiga. I just think some of them could of been different and with the AGA pallete there is alot more choice, thats all i was thinking. It is very exciting that the game will be released for CD32 and it would be great if it was something more than a port of the amiga version with cd audio. If its not to be, then its still a new release for the CD32 which is positive.
Old 18 January 2020, 19:42   #18
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Amiga version was probably the first version based on 7*8, 7*8 are always dark colours or bright colours not including copper rainbow it's the only way really to make a game to look good on such limited colour.

Basically it was built around the Amiga Hardware limitations like LionHeart, SOB etc
Old 19 January 2020, 11:10   #19
Gzegzolka

If it would be possible I would love to see Jim Power in less radioactive color palette, current one is bit not in my taste. I like how game is colorful and how it got so many nice layers of background.
Old 19 January 2020, 12:45   #20
viddi

The CD audio is not that good imo.
I think the Amiga version is the best one.
No need to change gfx or Paula audio.

Just put it on a CD, add CD32 controls and this intro anim if you like.

There you go!