English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2021, 21:14   #21
masteries

Final Fight, for Amiga or Atari ST/E, the version is not important

Both have horrible gameplay, controls are bad implemented, and enemies can attack you while you are hitting them... a completely non sense for a beat em up.

Its very sad, due to any of these 16 bit computers have enough raw power to execute a decent version, but not, U.S. Gold bring us another poor port.

Also, the non sense reaches its maximum when you load this game on an Atari STE, due to the game detects that the machine its an enhanced version... but you will notice no difference at all. It detects the machine, but uses no additional hardware such hardware scrolling or blitter xD
Old 22 June 2021, 21:22   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

it doesn't seem to be a guilty pleasure...
Old 22 June 2021, 21:54   #23
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
it doesn't seem to be a guilty pleasure...
Old 22 June 2021, 23:32   #24
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Another one that I tried to play (or enjoy) multiple times, but I really suck at it and never managed to play well -

Stunt Car Racer

I just can't manage to play it without falling off constantly...
All you have to do is move the joystick JUST BEFORE the bends. Simple!
Old 22 June 2021, 23:34   #25
Fiery Phoenix

Agree about BTTF 2 and T2 - not sure why, but I play them now and again, still like the digi sequences of T2
Old 22 June 2021, 23:56   #26
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Alien Syndrome
Yes it was a bad port, yes there's practically no scrolling in a game that's supposed to scroll, but it was one of my first games which I played to death, and therefore still load from time to time.
Old 23 June 2021, 01:25   #27
rare_j
Zone Friend

I like the first level (fire) of captain planet. The music is nice, it's colourful, and it's sort of fun in a bad way. The balloon thing and collecting the mini-baddies is fun in a pointless kind of way. It opens up into a vehicle level herding polar bears on clouds and that's sort of fun as well.
Captain planet must be the least cool cartoon ever, and the game must have excited precicely no one but it was an A500+ pack-in.
The rest of the game is rubbish as far as I can tell.
Old 23 June 2021, 03:36   #28
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Fire and Ice - love graphics but game play is just out of proportion hard...
Old 23 June 2021, 09:35   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

Fire and Ice yes!! Too hard, but can't help starting it, and sometimes, only sometimes I reach the second world. Then I die.
Old 23 June 2021, 14:19   #30
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I just played it bit other day, still hard and still enjoyable just too look at that nice water reflection on bottom of the screen. Could have been really great game if difficulty and collision was better.

@Foebane - I know how to play it, but still I just manage to get off stage too many times. I still take the game as marvel that A500 was just able to reproduce this, even I suck at the game and would boot it from time to time... Some well on sides would help greatly...
Old 23 June 2021, 14:36   #31
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Since I rarely use Amiga emulation, I only play it on my vanilla 1MB A500 and on my ACA122x-expanded A1200s. The A1200 runs it a tad faster, but still slower than it should have been (it should have ran at least 25fps, ideally 30+. Dream fps would be 60). If you get higher than 30fps, mate... enjoy! It is an excellent game.
On my ACA1230n-40 it runs insane speed. Not tried it with my Apollo 1260 but I wouldn't expect less than that. Too Fast to complete the course and survive
Old 23 June 2021, 14:37   #32
rabidgerry

Fire and Ice? I thought that was a good game that didn't fall under guilty pleasure. I have no shame in playing that game at all. Made it to jungle level. Positive I'll complete it someday.
Old 24 June 2021, 06:56   #33
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Fire and Ice - love graphics but game play is just out of proportion hard...
Similar with Magic pockets. I mean caves are okay, but the next worlds...
Old 24 June 2021, 07:56   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Fire and Ice? I thought that was a good game that didn't fall under guilty pleasure. I have no shame in playing that game at all. Made it to jungle level. Positive I'll complete it someday.

Far frome being a "guilty pleasure". Controls could be a bit smoother, and the scrolling too. But the level design gets better after the generic Ice World. Beautiful graphics too.
Old 24 June 2021, 16:38   #35
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
On my ACA1230n-40 it runs insane speed. Not tried it with my Apollo 1260 but I wouldn't expect less than that. Too Fast to complete the course and survive

Yes, probably. I don't own any Vampire product yet and the only Individual Computers products I own are both ACA122x (an ACA1220-16 and an ACA1221 in unlocked base-spec). Both use the MC68020 processor, the same that comes with the stock A1200, albeit clocked a bit higher. Yours comes with the MC68030 processor, also with much higher frequencies. It makes all the difference, I suppose, especially in a 3D software-rendred game.

Back to topic, though...

Charlie J Cool
Thrashed on its release and dubbed as "just yet another frightfully average jumping platform game to be thrown in the endless sea of frightfully average jumping platform games that plague the Amiga", I found this one to be a tinsy bit above the competition. The level design isn't all that bad (at least it's better than average, which isn't saying much, I'll admit), the graphics are passable (I usually play the AGA version) and the controls are OK-ish (especially considering that it can use the second button to jump, instead of the dreaded up-to-jump routine that we inherited from the 8bits). If I play it for too long it does become generic, repetitive and - indeed - boring, but for a period of 15 to 20 minutes, I find it oddly satisfying.

Croak!
Another simple, almost 8bit-ish in both looks and feels, straightforward, easy to pick-up and enjoyable little game. Again, it's another one of those "what's this puny thing doing in an Amiga?" sort of game. It's a rehash of the old "Frogger" arcade game but a very well implemented one with crisp animation, precise controls and a nifty feature rarely used in Amiga games: it saves your highscores. I always end up chasing my own top score or letting other people try and beat mine. It's fun.

Danger Mouse
Ah, now this is the very definition of a "guilty pleasure" because even I consider it dire. "Wait! You're naming a game that YOU consider dire?!", I can ear you all say... And yes, I am. This is a VERY basic and terribly repetitive "avoid the traps" sort of "jump and run" game. What makes this a guilty pleasure and makes me enjoy playing it - for a few minutes, at least - is the whole feeling it provides. The graphics, although not great, are more than adequate and coupled with the sound samples, taken from the cartoon itself, they make for a very atmospheric experience and it almost feels like you're controlling Danger Mouse in one of its episodes, especially because the sort of old-British humour (now all but gone, sadly) seems to have been passed to the experience.

Dinosaur Detective Agency
Oh, dear... I guess I'm going to get some heat for this one. Indeed, I must agree with every bad thing that has been said about this. The level design is terrible and there are "design traps" that simply shouldn't exist on a commercial product, but what was said about Charlie J Cool (about the controls) could also be applied here. It has nice animations, the refresh rate is OK and the controls work well. It enjoy it for a few minutes.

Dirty Rackets
Apparently a not very well known game, since quite surprisingly it doesn't even have a HoL page, nor a Lemon Amiga one, and sporting a title that might induce the feeling that it's all about some sexual fetish involving tennis, the fact is that this re-imagined "Pong"-like game is actually quite well made. It introduces some variance to the Pong genre, so much so that I actually consider it sort-of an ancestor to games like "Battle Flip Shot" or "Bang Bead". Criminally underrated, IMO.

There are still a couple of other "guilty pleasures". Maybe I'll post them later on...
Old 24 June 2021, 17:06   #36
dreadnought

Brattacas. It's a wreck, but an ambitious one at least. If only the control scheme was a little bit better.... Every now and then I give it a valiant go, thinking that maybe this time I'll get used to it...
Old 24 June 2021, 17:12   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Far frome being a "guilty pleasure". Controls could be a bit smoother, and the scrolling too. But the level design gets better after the generic Ice World. Beautiful graphics too.
Not to mention the atmosphere, it brings me joy just to see it move. Back in the day it didn't strike me as THAT hard (compared to other platformers anyway, like my arch-nemesis Toki...), but now that I see it called that several times over I am afraid to boot it up again...
Old 24 June 2021, 19:21   #38
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Usually goes like this - boot game, have it run little bit, play bit, collect couple of keys, loose lives couple of times, restart amiga.
Old 25 June 2021, 13:03   #39
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Alien Syndrome
Yes it was a bad port, yes there's practically no scrolling in a game that's supposed to scroll.
Not technically impressive granted, but I wouldn't call it a bad port.
Well then, what about Altered Beast should we go down that road.
Old 25 June 2021, 13:06   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I will never say that Altered Beast is a guilty pleasure, no matter what version I play the game sucks