English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 April 2005, 14:02   #1
Dave_wb

scan doubler/flicker fixer

Hi guys,
Can anyone explain to me why it is almost impossible to purchase a scan doubler/flicker fixer?Even more strange is the astronomical prices that you have to pay when you find one.
I have a CM8833-II and want to use super high res or above to create smaller icons and have a "larger" workbench as a result.
If anyone out there can help I would be much obliged.I own a classic A1200 and do not wish to put it in a tower.I have added a scsi cdrom player,a zip drive and hard drive plus a second floppy.Resolving the screen issue would be the iceing on the cake. I prefer chocolate bars myself but each to thier own as the old saying goes.
Dave
Old 06 April 2005, 14:15   #2
Calo Nord

Send a message via ICQ to Calo Nord
Try, www.vesalia.de
Old 06 April 2005, 15:20   #3
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_wb
Hi guys,
Can anyone explain to me why it is almost impossible to purchase a scan doubler/flicker fixer?
Because they have not been produced for a long time. And when they were produced it were expesive devices due to the very high speed RAM that is present on the board. Flickerfixer are more complicated than scandoublers alone so even more expensive.

Quote:
Even more strange is the astronomical prices that you have to pay when you find one.
Not strange at all. It is a basic effect of a market. 10 scandoublers available. 1000 hobbyist wanting one. The one that pays most get it. Simple as that.

Quote:
I have a CM8833-II and want to use super high res or above to create smaller icons and have a "larger" workbench as a result.
Hate to dissapoint you but most scandoublers do 640x512 only. Maybe some overscan but that is it. My internal DCE scandoubler/flickerfixer is not capable of displaying 1280x512.

Quote:
If anyone out there can help I would be much obliged.I own a classic A1200 and do not wish to put it in a tower.I have added a scsi cdrom player,a zip drive and hard drive plus a second floppy.Resolving the screen issue would be the iceing on the cake. I prefer chocolate bars myself but each to thier own as the old saying goes.
Dave
Never heard of such saying. Perhaps because my mother language is dutch.
Most people on amiga boards know the price of a scandoubler/flickerfixer. finding one here cheap is not likely unless someone is really generous (which I'm not ).

Vesalia still lists them. However they do not have them in stock. You might be able to get one second hand from them like I did mine. If you are lucky it might even reach you in one piece. Mine was shipped in a plastic bag and we all know what an ESD will do to high speed ram.

Good luck on your search and remember; Searching and eventually finding a hard to find item is part of the classic amiga fun. Don't get frustrated now.
Old 06 April 2005, 16:24   #4
Dave_wb

Hi DopPie,
I thank you for your input and I promise I will not beCOME FRUSTRATED...AAAAGGHH.
See - i'm as cool as ice (thats spent ten minutes in a microwave on full power...probably longer)
Dave
Old 06 April 2005, 16:44   #5
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Hi DopPie,
I thank you for your input and I promise I will not beCOME FRUSTRATED...AAAAGGHH.
See - i'm as cool as ice (thats spent ten minutes in a microwave on full power...probably longer)
Dave
Wow! you fit in a micro wave? either you are tiny or have a large microwave
Old 07 April 2005, 14:03   #6
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I had my SD/FF bought second hand for 30€ and that's a reasonable price i think. I had to add a fan on it to cool it down though.