English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 September 2007, 19:15   #1
Marcuz

Captive, help starting please

I've tryed play Captive a few times, but i cannot even descend on a single planet.
for some reason when i launch the probe, that simply fly away... i don't know how to land and i don't know what to do actually if i'd ever land.
i know vaguely what are the purposes of the games, to liberate some captive scientist, but i would like to know something more about the basic gameplay.
like how to outfit the characters, what to look for in the worlds i descend, etc.

would some of you guys who like this game please write a quick start guide?

thank you in advance!
Old 02 September 2007, 20:43   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Marco

okay my friend, I think i will take the opportunity to help you through a bit further than the first level.

Okay... you got the basics, with attributing experience to your driods, I would suggest beefing up the tindron driods at the front with brawling skills and swords as quick as possible.

you will need to get 9 points (levels) in a stat before you can unlock the next one. try and get the back two human type driods up and onto ranged hardware as soon as possible.

the first thing one should save money for is a simple Battery consider this the first purchase as soon as you can afford one!...

now once you have defeated the scientist / librarian monster dude and you get the PROBE. obviously take buy what you want. now once you leave the plannet you return to the mothership... as you know place the PROBE on the map and off it flys at 200000 mph to the next base ... zoom out to follow it... (makes it easier to track it) now... once it selects a plannet it will flicker.... select that plannet as a Target and then select ORBIT you mothership will now take its time in getting to the plannet.... once this has been done (a message "Swan now in orbit" you can then select the small mark area on the plannet and then select the lander option...

this will now take you down to the new plannet

some helpfull tips... destroyed bases still have out side creatures, these are easly to beat and provide a nice sum of money... just remeber to take a battery!!!

Alays make the first purchase a battery when you have arround 3000 gold! you would have to be an expert to get this on the first base.. I have only achieved it once....

recharge often the simple method i find is to take the torso and click the plug sockets on the wall... sometimes charging the hand and then selecting the torso might select another item and BANG... its destroyed....

Keep an eye on your learned experience and make sure it goes to effective use!... swords do remarkable damage at TWO spaces ahead! but you will need some points in it to use them (unless there freebee zelots / finds etc).

Learn the classic Dungeon Crawler 4-step-shuffle thats HIT - side step - turn - HIT .... etc...
Old 02 September 2007, 21:33   #3
Marcuz

thank you, Zetr0, i will put all of this to use tonite :}
Old 03 September 2007, 21:39   #4
Marcuz

spent some hours trying... landed and escaped some planet and moon randomly, got killed by water a couple of times and by, maybe, a door? by dinos too...
the controls are cheating me by swapping characters randomly... once i burned a hand and explosives in a electrical jack...
i killed a dino and grabbed 250 gold pieces...
it seems that the main purpose of the game is getting my characters killed or maimed or blind. in 30 seconds of play.

this game sucks big time... i don't understand how you and bippym can love it as you do.

even Liberation, that was uncomprehensible, was easier than this one...

it reminds me Knightmare. oh wait! that too is of Anthony Crowther... how lucky is it?!
Old 03 September 2007, 22:17   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Marco

RELAX....

water = death
doors closing = hurt = death
fire = death

there are many many ways to die in captive you have found less than a small few lol.

electrical jacks are a little tricky to begin with but you will get the hang of them.. infact you can use them against the enemy by *charging* the hand and then click facing the enemy and left click with the hand... electrical bolts then ensue at the enemy... I will point out there is NO experience for your driods gained from this method lol.

I think i know what might help... a screen shot.... with some explinations.

I will postie that in a smidge... oh and please.... lets not mention Liberation, It was a complete and utter let down.... infact it hurts to much to think about....
Old 03 September 2007, 22:21   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

Guess you should visit http://captive.atari.org/
Old 03 September 2007, 22:40   #7
Marcuz

Zetr0, please do not burden yourself with that chore, you have already helped me... it's just that Captive doesn't do for me i think... if ever there will be a longplay on youtube, maybe i'll use that as guide. but it's a very very far shot... i do not want to go close to the game for some weeks

Dizzy, thank you too, i'll read the site no matter what i typed up her, and if i'll go back to the game i'll use it
Old 04 September 2007, 00:06   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

a long play eh?... perhaps a little 1st level maybe?
Old 04 September 2007, 00:12   #9
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
a long play eh?... perhaps a little 1st level maybe?
a loooooooooooooong play
Old 04 September 2007, 01:08   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

yeah... its that long.... i cannot record it LOL....
Old 04 September 2007, 01:27   #11
Marcuz

what, you are not up for a little about 65000 levels?
Old 04 September 2007, 01:55   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I got to arround level 30's thats level 3 base 4 or 5.... had some tanked out driods too but that on a disk in SAFE storage at the moment, as is MOST of my miggy gear... all I have here at the moment is an A500 / A600+ and a friends A1200 wich I am upgrading for him.

there is a bug on one of the bases I think maybe base 7?! its been a while... but the bug easly defeated and to be honest I haven`t known of any other. as of yet.

Although its linear.... its an absolutely fantastic game.... I LOVE IT!!!!