English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2021, 10:21   #1201
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Too many news to list but here are some:
- The community is currently super active and there are several maps made already (at some point we'll release a community pack with these levels).
- New SDKs are released every month with tons of extra features. Latest SDK included (among others) switches and all sorts of triggers (enemy spawns, teleporting, open/close doors and walls e.t.c.) as well as variable map loading and maps testing via UAE.
- KK has already prototyped variable heights and stairs and he is currently optimising the engine.
- There's also a deathmatch mode via serial that is currently in the works.
- On the gfx side we have quadrupled the available textures, added several new items and there's also a new enemy coming soon.

Left most monster is like from different game. It is little confusing, is it like a insect?
Old 29 November 2021, 12:00   #1202
vulture

a beholder, I'd argue
Old 29 November 2021, 12:42   #1203
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
That new monster is beautifully pixeled!
Great to hear about the other new features as well.
But, if I may ask... is music being worked on?
I think it might be but from what I understand you have to choose between stereo effects or mono effects and music.
In a 3D game like this stereo effects is important I think.
There is a video about it on youtube.
Old 30 November 2021, 12:20   #1204
sovenyimre

Behold....RRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
a beholder, I'd argue
Attached Images

Old 30 November 2021, 16:34   #1205
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Left most monster is like from different game. It is little confusing, is it like a insect?
It's a leftover from the freedoom assets (albeit heavilly modified and repixeled). This one was the replacement for the Cacodemon monster and it's supposed to be an "alien head". Probably gonna get replaced with an all original design at some point (to match the rest of our enemies).
Old 30 November 2021, 23:12   #1206
CaptainPlanet

Just tried the demo. Absolutely amazing! Man, if I had had this in 95, I might not have switched to PC!
Old 01 December 2021, 15:26   #1207
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
Just tried the demo. Absolutely amazing! Man, if I had had this in 95, I might not have switched to PC!
You switched to PC specifically for Doom?

Sam & Max, X-Wing, Raptor Call of Shadows, Wolfenstein + Doom, Dune 2 with music, Warcraft 2, Ultima Underworld, Lost Eden, the 7th Guest... it was a whole set of games that kind of made me forget about the Amiga for a while.
Old 01 December 2021, 18:24   #1208
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Sam & Max, X-Wing, Raptor Call of Shadows, Wolfenstein + Doom, Dune 2 with music, Warcraft 2, Ultima Underworld, Lost Eden, the 7th Guest... it was a whole set of games that kind of made me forget about the Amiga for a while.
Naaah...

Imho, not even above are worth to switching to PC (and I played 90% of mentioned games)...
I switched somewhere at the late 1998, waited a bit until I gather some money, and after I got PC, I immediately regret it. It was still waaay behind Amiga in user experience. I think I got AMD K-62 (variant of Pentium 2).. and boy... how that felt way worse then my beloved A1200.

I should have switched in 2002-2003, because that's the time (with Win XP and really fast machines), that PC start to feel a little more user friendly.

Hmm.. Just cross my mind... this is the time that PC actually started successfully emulate Amigas.
So, imho, it took a whole decade, until PC could overcome Amiga at most points.
Old 01 December 2021, 18:52   #1209
rothers

There were pretty much no games being released on the Amiga after 1996 (just look at old issues of Amiga Format), never mind 3D games.

Anyone in to gaming had to go PC or at least playstation. Had the A1200 had some kind of scaling hardware maybe it would have been a bit different.

And when the Amiga did get its quake port it ran at 13fps on an 060, too little too late.

It's great seeing what could have been done via Dread though.
Old 01 December 2021, 22:14   #1210
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
There were pretty much no games being released on the Amiga after 1996 (just look at old issues of Amiga Format), never mind 3D games.
Yes, lets not mind 3D games.

Quote:
Anyone in to gaming had to go PC or at least playstation. Had the A1200 had some kind of scaling hardware maybe it would have been a bit different.
You mean anyone into new games released for the PC and Playstation etc. But most gamers don't just play the latest releases.

The Hall of Light lists 5,986 Amiga games. The average pirate's Amiga game collection was perhaps 1/10th of that, but those of us who were honest only had perhaps a few dozen original games, so there were still plenty of titles left to purchase without having to hang out for the latest releases.

I bought a PlayStation for exactly one game (Tomb Raider). I tried out some other PlayStation games but none of them excited me. PC games even less so. By the early 2000's I had lost interest in PCs and gone back to my former hobby of RC models. But I kept the A1200, and boy am I glad I did! Now I have access to hundreds of excellent Amiga games that I didn't have the time or money to enjoy back in the day.

Quote:
And when the Amiga did get its quake port it ran at 13fps on an 060, too little too late.
I bought Quake for my A3000 with 060 and RTG, thinking that finally here was a game that justified it. The low frame was disappointing, but the boring gameplay was worse. I could have played it on a PC if I wanted, but couldn't be bothered. The latest 3D games that everyone raves about are no better IMO. Some even got worse. I bought several some of the later Tomb Raider games produced by Crystal Dynamics, and while technically superior the gameplay was much worse.

Quote:
It's great seeing what could have been done via Dread though.
Good things come to those who wait.

In the early days of home computing I dreamed of making my own games, and even attempted to produce a game for the Sega SC3000 using my Amstrad CPC664 for cross development (with the help of a friend who was also into programming). But by the time we got it ready the market had moved on. This trend continued throughout the home computer age, with developers struggling to get stuff out in time to make money out of it.

I always thought it was a shame that fans clamored for more powerful hardware and more sophisticated games while destroying the market by pirating all the good stuff. This naturally lead to the Amiga's potential being under-utilized because developers couldn't justify spending more time and effort on it.

But today it's a different story. Modern PCs make development a breeze, and classic Amiga hardware is 'set in stone' so you can take the time to get the most out of it. Projects like Dread show what can be done when you aren't in a race to get stuff out before advancing technology makes it irrelevant. Now developers are getting back to having fun doing amazing stuff without the commercial pressure, knowing their efforts will be appreciated.
Old 01 December 2021, 23:16   #1211
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Naaah...

and after I got PC, I immediately regret it. It was still waaay behind Amiga in user experience. I think I got AMD K-62 (variant of Pentium 2).. and boy... how that felt way worse then my beloved A1200.

you mentioned before your friends had a pc and used it So why did you buy one ?
Old 01 December 2021, 23:45   #1212
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post

In the early days of home computing I dreamed of making my own games, and even attempted to produce a game for the Sega SC3000 using my Amstrad CPC664 for cross development (with the help of a friend who was also into programming).
Might come out handy nowadays
Old 02 December 2021, 11:50   #1213
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
you mentioned before your friends had a pc and used it So why did you buy one ?
Because I was stupid.

PC's that my friends had, and that I played on was 386's and 486's, and I thought that with Pentium 2, things improved drastically. I was wrong. Very wrong.
I should have kept my Amiga 1200 and purchase some 040 or 060 card, and use it by 2004, and only then purchase PC (without selling Amiga).

If I could get back in time, I'd do the exactly above without the second thought.
Old 02 December 2021, 14:01   #1214
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Because I was stupid.
Your just trolling hating on the PC as usual.

please to not turn this thread into a Amiga vs PC again it becomes tiresome.

Last edited by freehand; 02 December 2021 at 14:21.
Old 02 December 2021, 15:05   #1215
roondar

Going back to the topic of the actual thread here, those new monsters look pretty cool. I've also checked out the Discord and there's a lot of people making maps etc right now. This is going to be quite special once it's released
Old 02 December 2021, 15:48   #1216
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
Your just trolling hating on the PC as usual.
Apologies for the off-topic, but no apology for my hate on PC.
I never intended to troll, but you asked /off-topic) question, and I answered.

Agreed, let's get back to topic.
Old 02 December 2021, 20:41   #1217
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Going back to the topic of the actual thread here, those new monsters look pretty cool. I've also checked out the Discord and there's a lot of people making maps etc right now. This is going to be quite special once it's released
Every day there are updates to maps people are doing etc. If you are Patron for something like 8 Euro a month you can download the dread tool and test and play the maps people are doing. It is very fun!

The maps people are doing is first of all their take of the game engine, using the monsters available. The engine got updated quite recently.
With the new engine the maps are more advanced than ever.
The final game will be something more exclusive I'm pretty sure of.
From what I remember KK first though of this as an engine where other people could do maps. Now things changed for the better. People do maps but there will be a Dread game done by KK and probably Tsak and some others.
There will be a lot of games coming out of this engine.
Death match levers are being made and when the engine is ready for it you can connect two Amigas and play against other human opponent.
To me there never been an project for the Amiga as exiting and fun as this one.
Old 15 January 2022, 17:58   #1218
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

no news about a final release from altair ???
Old 16 January 2022, 16:44   #1219
samo79

A new public beta to test would be great :-)
Old 17 January 2022, 04:25   #1220
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Looking very good indeed. I'd actually have no trouble buying a full release of Dread. I recently bought two C64 games and it felt good to do so