English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 November 2007, 02:32   #1
digit01

E-UAE on Linux :)

I gather there are not many Linux users here that use E-UAE...but if there are any I would love to be pointed in a direction so I can setup my own 2.1 system with HDs (emulated) and all.
Old 09 November 2007, 02:40   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@digit01

Hello there,

so lets see, I have had E-UAE 0.827 i think it was, running on my linux box, and i was quite pleased with its performance...

its quite simple really just download and re-compile... ( i was using Fedora 4 or 5 at the time.... been a while) there are a couple of tricky things that come to mind.

modify the config file for the right kickstart and path.
modify the e-uae config for including the hard disk images

i am sure then when the problems arise i can remember the answer or two

what linux flavour you using?
Old 09 November 2007, 13:46   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

http://xamiga.net/

Just a thought...
Old 09 November 2007, 17:22   #4
Jerry

I'm happily using euae-0.8.29-WIP4 on a kubuntu system. Compilation is no problem at all (I think that there are even some precompiled packages out there). The biggest problem for me was setting up a hardfile. Using directories is no problem:
Just put a filesystem2 line into your config file:

filesystem2=rw,DH1:System:/path-to-directory,-1
DH1 is the device-name and System the volume name in this case.

For creating a hardfile (which I prefer for some mysterious reason) I'd recommend using wine and Winuae. After creation put a hardfile2 line into your config file:

hardfile2=rw,:/path-to-hardfile/hardfile.hdf,0,0,0,0,0

Fire up the emu (uae -f configfile) and use the partitioning tool (hdtoolbox? sorry, never used WB2) to partition your virtual hd. The scsi-device you have to use is called uaehf.device.

Sorry if the above is not too clear. I'm a bit in a hurry. If you have any probs feel free to ask again
Old 17 November 2007, 14:51   #5
Lernatix

Question

So this means my PS3 will be able to run E-UAE easily?

Just in time for X-mas woohoo.
Old 17 November 2007, 15:15   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Lernatix

Hello there,

Welcome to the EAB, I am sure you will like it here, theres plenty of retr0 mischief to getup to

I would like to know how you get on with E-UAE on you PS3 especially curious on what kernel support and the Linux distro you are using, and obviously how E-UAE runs on a PS3
Old 17 November 2007, 15:24   #7
Lernatix

Wink

I know next to nothing about linux

That's why I am hoping someone does it first!

If nothing happens, then one day I will have to learn linux.

If I get it to work well, I'll try to let you all know how I did it!
Old 11 December 2007, 15:24   #8
grassden
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to grassden
Mad Miggy Project (just to get deuteros!!)

Hi all, just putting my tuppences worth in as well cos iv just got my mum's olde pc now and i was looking to setting it up for an amiga project just wonder if amithalon would be any useful or not (or should i go for the linux route) considering it only got 900mhz speed ! (with 256mb ram) running ME!! at the moment (crickey get that os outta there as soon as someone can point me in the direction of setting it up but need a few pointer on linux!! (well i was a cobol programmer but heck that was in english at least!!) ie what distro should i get and what flavour of e-uae to get it running on the disto (im only starting today in terms of my very poor understanding of linux but my aim would be that it would become an miggy in my dreams (do like the amikit on windows but wether that can be done on linux im nae too sure!

thanks for any correspondence on this mad idea of a miggy project!

Your Ever Pathetic Servant

Grassden
Old 11 December 2007, 16:02   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I hope you have better luck with Linux than me!

On a happier note:
It's an old computer so Amithlon may well run 'out of the box' & I guess that's your best option for performance. - Take a look here for as good a start as any

X-Amiga may also be your savior - Pre-rolled & optomised Linux distro with e-UAE pre-installed.

...or you could try your own Linux + E-UAE install. I guess gentoo or one of the 'smaller' Linux's for older PC's would be best but I'm no expert on the subject.

WinUAE is by far the best version of the best Amiga Emulator but you'll struggle to run it well on your proposed system (Windoze fault not WinUAE) though it is doable...
...Win98SE, nLite'd XP??

Amikit will run on anything that looks like a 68k Amiga as long as it has Picasso96 support & a lot of grunt - basically UAE.
For 'unsupported' enviroments it will still run (Amithlon) but may take quite some fiddling to do so...
...how good's your AmigaOS knowledge..?

There are lots of other pre-rolled AmigaOS installs out there to try. All will need at least a kickstart rom image (3.1 most likely) and Workbench install discs. (3.1+ most likely)
Old 12 December 2007, 02:33   #10
mabus
Zone Friend

Running e-uae on top of Linux is very easy, most distributions can run it without too many problems - and some with package management systems will let you install it easily, provided you have the right repositories in your lists.

I usually run it in Slackware Linux, it needs to be compiled from source in that distro but you get an UAE that matches your CPU and you can compile in just the features you need, and leave the rest out... If you don't want to get fancy you can just follow the normal ./configure ; make ; make install procedure and it will run very well...

Make sure the X server you are running is optimised for the graphics chipset you are using though, this has a huge impact on performance of UAE. On each specific gfx chipset driver there will be options you can set to improve performance, unless you are running in unsupported Frame Buffer mode in which case you're a bit sidebar'd... That happens quite rarely these days, but is quite common on PDA's and embedded systems with more "exotic" graphics chips ...

Hope that helps...
Old 12 December 2007, 02:35   #11
mabus
Zone Friend

Oh, and I forgot - just PM me if you have any specific questions you need help with...
Old 12 December 2007, 02:47   #12
Pyromania

Does E-UAE work on the eeePC?
Old 12 December 2007, 17:34   #13
ipp0

Thumbs up

Here's my way to compile e-uae from src with scsi-emu & bsdsock support.
It's in german, but I can translate if nessesary:

http://www.amiganews.de/forum/thread...ardID=6#257244

greets

Old 12 December 2007, 17:59   #14
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi ipp0,
Welcome to the EAB - there's lots going on here, enjoy your stay.

(Um, where've I heard that before? Sounds a bit familliar...)
Old 12 December 2007, 18:01   #15
grassden
Zone Friend

Re: starting with ubuntu distro

Back again !

So far iv basically split the 30gb hd into 3 sectors at the moment

partition one currently for win me (if i ever need it!! sighs )

partition two running linux - ubuntu (but nae sure if it running from the hd - seems a lot of reading from the livecd ! then

Partition three containing xamiga (having bother with it finding my roms on any of my amigas cds (unless im doing something stupid !! more than likely ;->

1. note that since iv installed the x-amiga (i said yes to the grub installer - and now cant run win ME since the grub keep going to the x-amiga partition

2. ubunto i can get running but only from the livecd is in the cdrom drive to boot it up

so 1st question any easy way of getting a replacement booter for grub or modifying it to let me choose which system to boot up from?

2nd question with regards to x-amiga why cant i find any cdrom with the disk information on it?

lastly just to keep everyone guessing as well !! - im also looking into the amikit stuff (which there is a guide for installing it but not very clear on the actual details of transferring the stuff over from basically windows xp (has internet access) also how do i exactly install the e-uase into ubunto (just in case i have problems with x-amiga!) laughs

As Ever

Yours Ever Pathetic Servant

Grassden
Old 12 December 2007, 18:34   #16
ipp0

Quote:
2. ubunto i can get running but only from the livecd is in the cdrom drive to boot it up

so 1st question any easy way of getting a replacement booter for grub or modifying it to let me choose which system to boot up from?
Hi,
grub is the most compatible & configurable bootloader for linux.
I guess if your computer is accessing the liveCD you do not have a linux harddisk installation at all. Maybe there is an installscript on the liveCD for installing it to hd.
The liveCD runs from RAM, which means that you can't modify any configurations.
Do a minimal or complete installation first and then post your /etc/grub/menu.lst here.

greets

Old 12 December 2007, 23:16   #17
flipper

lilo is pretty good looks nice too

most lilo installers will set menu to both operating systems

mine made vista my primary
Old 12 December 2007, 23:33   #18
ipp0

O.K. I've made a mistake in thinking. Maybe you already have installed Ubuntu to HD but the bootloader is misconfigured or missing. If so, try to boot from your Ubuntu CD/DVD again and look for the "rescue system" option or similar. It should be possible to reinstall the bootloader.

A second option is to accsess your extisting system by mounting it through the liveCD.

Boot from it, open a terminal. Type as root:
Code:
mkdir/mnt/my_root_partition
mount -t ext3 /dev/your_root_partition /mnt/my_root_partition
cd /mnt/my_root_partition/boot/grub
Use an editor to look/edit your grub.conf. For example:
Code:
vim or joe or emacs menu.lst
My menu.lst looks like this for expl:

Code:
timeout 10
shade 1
viewport 3 2 77 22
splashimage (hd1,4)/boot/grub/psygnosis_cypress.xpm.gz
background 000000
foreground ffffff
default 1

title linux 2.6.17.14-mm-9
kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9 BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.17.14-mm-9 root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda6 resume2=/dev/sda6 mem=2048M vga=769
initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9.img

title linux 2.6.23.1-1
kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-desktop-1 BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.23.1-1 root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda6 resume2=/dev/sda6 mem=2048M vga=769
initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-desktop-1.img

title freebsd
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

title windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title floppy
root (fd0)
chainloader +1

title zeta
root (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

title qnx
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
hope this helps

Old 12 December 2007, 23:42   #19
ipp0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
lilo is pretty good looks nice too

most lilo installers will set menu to both operating systems

mine made vista my primary
Hi,

I was using lilo until this year too. But it's development is stopped. I changed too grub because I wanted to easily use my own splash images. It looks complicating, but it is very much more easy to use than lilo.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psygnosis_cypress.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	15448  

Old 19 December 2007, 17:04   #20
grassden
Zone Friend

Re: Latest News from the pathetic Servant!

hi all again, back again with some more news as follows!!

Firstly finally got the Ubuntu system working on hard drive now..

secondly got uae working (ie basic setup for floppies ok so far !)

thirdly did try the xamiga and the gentoo amiga version cds but only 1 issue with both is that i couldnae find my usb drive to install the roms and continue with the installations of both. sighs (on xamiga it came up with sda starting up but said it found one fat partition (i assumed this was the usb drive but not sure) but when the file location program came up for locating the kickstart file i couldnae find a way to access the usb drive for it.

Now since iv uae working so far on ubunto (got a side issue of sun-java6-bin failing on me in that system (ie ubuntu!) now trying to figure oot how to access a hdf file from uae (cant seem to find the hdf file on uae gui so presume one has to modify the uaerc config file in my home directory to include the hdf file/s?

Your As Ever Pathetic Servant

Grassden

P.S. is there a linx amiga channel on irc somewhere?