English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 March 2008, 15:33   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Spritz Paint

I have alot to thank this little Paint program for....

It saved me from a life of misery as an Atari ST owner.
Back in 1989 my Dad wanted to treat his loving Son with a new 16 bit computer to replace his aging C= Plus/4

Being both a Scotsman and computer illiterate, he came home with the inferior BUT cheaper Atari ST520FM.

Now me being the pleasant grateful little chap that I am, I was delighted at this wonderful gift...And to be fair the shiny new boxed copy of StarGlider kept us occupied that whole weekend. At some point over that weekend,I tried the other disk that came with the ST... SPRITZ PAINT.

Guess what, It didnt work... oh well back to StarGlider.

Monday came and so did school... Now at my school there were ardent 8bit C=64 users who could poke all night, there were uber rich and elite Amiga 1000/500 owners and there was now me with my ST...

Did you ever see Staffordshire Bull terriers pull a Rat apart? Yes? Shame on you! Well anyway that Rat was me and the Amiga owners were the Staffys. They were relentless and convinced me that my Dad had made the biggest mistake ever in buying the ST.

By the close of school on Monday I was brainwashed that Amiga was the future, and Atari was the antichrist!
I was resolute in my intent to exchange the ST for an Amiga.

That night I broached the subject with Dad.... He agreed to the swap if I could come up with £100 to match the difference... fook that was not gonna happen any time soon!!

Now if the ST were faulty, then surely Dad would return it... But IT wasn't, and I wasn't a vandal... But Spritz Paint WAS faulty. So off to Dixons we went.

Now if you live in the UK you know how thick as shit 1980s Dixons workers were.. Dad presented the ST and the copy of Spritz. The worker duly tested it with spritz and it of course failed. Appropriately he grabbed a second copy from the shelf.. IT failed. He tried a third a fourth and then a fifth all failed to load.... Exasperated he said the floppy drive must be broken and that he would swap the ST over for another...

Here came Dads master stroke... Having driven 40 miles to the store and wasted a couple of hours, plus the inconvenience of not getting his Artwork done that weekend (lying b'tard!) He insisted on compensation. The worker of course had nothing to offer so Dad said he would take an Amiga 500 and tenstar pack as fair exchange!

Amazingly the now embarrassed clerk agreed! So we walked out leaving the clerk with an ST and a pile of Spritz paint disks....

Today Dad and I still wonder how long it took for the poor sap of a Dixons worker to realise that the pile of SPRITZ paints disks were all AMIGA versions
Old 19 March 2008, 16:04   #2
laser
Banned

Old 19 March 2008, 16:07   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post

"How Very DARE you!!"
Old 19 March 2008, 16:13   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

You know what, I liked your story DDNI
Old 19 March 2008, 16:24   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Today Dad and I still wonder how long it took for the poor sap of a Dixons worker to realise that the pile of SPRITZ paints disks were all AMIGA versions

Why don't you search for him in the internet, on one of those MySpace communities, and ask yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I was brainwashed that Amiga was the future, and Atari was the antichrist!
Hey, is it just me or do you sound disappointed?