English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 14 January 2011, 01:15   #61
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Sales of Goods Act 1979 -

Goods must be of satisfactory quality - This covers, for example, the appearance and finish of goods, their safety and durability. Goods must be free from defects, usually even minor ones, except when they have been brought to your attention by the seller. For example, if the goods are said to be shop soiled or you examined the goods and should have noticed the defects;

In the United Kingdom, you have up to 6 YEARS (5 years in Scotland) to complain, if a product is proven not fit for purpose, spending the better part of £300 for it to be worthless within 18 months would legally considered unfit for purpose.

Your point of contact is ALWAYS where you bought the item (not the manufacture) irrespective if you are told otherwise -

@bipps

You should contact the retailer where you bought the product, they are legally bound to provide a replacement, offer for it to be repaired (at no cost to you) or offer you a refund (although this maybe partial pending its age).

of course if you have opened the machine they may argue the case against it, however stand your ground and demand that solve this problems as the goods are of unsatisfactory quality.

I beg everyone to take some time and read the rights that are afforded you - that most stores pretend DON'T exist.

have a read here for more info - remember the knowledge you have the better armed you are.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:31   #62
Dreedo

The hearing will take place 9AM on Friday, unsure if its American time or GMT, but its taking place in San Fransisco, so most likely won't take place til later on in the UK day. Unsure if theres anymore hearings to be done, this one is only said to cover the codes removal from the internet and Geohots surrendering of all his storage devices that contain any software to hack a PS3, including HDD's, USB devices, CD's/DVD's and the like. I imagine that if the hearing goes to Sony's favour that it will also include Geohot paying expenses to Sony.

And probably if its deemed illegal for homebrew to be present on PS3's, Sony will most likely have the right to brick your PS3. Seeing as its against the law and all.
Old 14 January 2011, 09:56   #63
BippyM
Global Moderator

@Zetr0,

I no longer have the receipt (Lost when I moved home), so doubt I have much of a leg to stand on.. I am not that bothered tbh.. I'll keep trying to install the firmware, it fails at 41% so I know either the HD needs a complete reformat (Zeroed) or the nand is indeed corrupt.. Hopefully someone will hack the firmware to allow the recovery to completely format the nand and install the update after... This is all Sony would do (yet charge £100)....
Old 14 January 2011, 10:56   #64
deicidal
Registered Insane

Well I do partly blame myself for the 360 hell I have suffered, 1st one was off ebay so not much comeback there, 2nd was from block buster so got a refund on that one, 3rd was got from a pawnshop with a faulty dvd drive for bugger fixed that and got the longest out of it for all of them. If you buy a 2nd hand 360 make sure you get it from a retailer so you have some comeback.
Old 02 February 2011, 01:08   #65
ole00

try this one from here: http://www.volny.cz/molej/ps3/index.htm

Old 02 February 2011, 10:26   #66
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

At the moment the answer is a resounding NO, in fact the only likelihood of it happening is if Sony voluntarily reinstate OTHER OS to allow Linux back on.

Whilst its true that the PS3 has been hacked, in actual fact only update 3.55 has been hacked.

Update 3.56 has been partially hacked, but the hackers are actually having problems at the moment getting a Custom Firmware to work 100% properly with it, and just before they accomplish it, Sony will then come out with another firmware update, which will totally undermine the work done to get a CFW working with 3.56.

There is also the point that anyone that has already installed 3.56 on their PS3 will NOT be able to downgrade to another firmware anymore as Sony have removed the Recovery option to restore down to a previous firmware.

Any newly sold PS3's have the new 3.56 update installed which means they can't be hacked down anymore.

So at the moment, the amount of capable PS3's that can be downgraded is shrinking all the time.

The DNS bypass will be fixed any day soon, and with Geohot (eGohot!) not able to do anything for fear of being arrested for breaking a court order, the PS3 inspite of some claims is actually a little more secure than people would like to admit.
Old 02 February 2011, 10:32   #67
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
At the moment the answer is a resounding NO, in fact the only likelihood of it happening is if Sony voluntarily reinstate OTHER OS to allow Linux back on.
There is one already?

Quote:
Whilst its true that the PS3 has been hacked, in actual fact only update 3.55 has been hacked.
All firmwares up to 3.55 have been "hacked".
Old 02 February 2011, 10:40   #68
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Am really not sure if they are, i still reckon it could go either way. I had a very quick glance through the sony evidence before and it seems dodgy to say the least.
How can you say that? The judge has already sided with Sony saying that George Hotz has broken the DMCA law.

This is the same judge that ruled in the Iphone jailbreak case and found George not guilty, shes not so keen to do that this time.

Part of the DMCA components are "is the hack likely to encourage and make piracy possible" and with Georges hack, that is entirely the point.

He claimed he doesn't support piracy and put in measures to prevent his work being used for such a thing, which is clearly crap.

Fail0verflow created the first hack, and restored OTHER OS to useable functionality and then STOPPED short of going any further, because they realised the ramifications of going further. At that point other than OTHER OS being restored, piracy was still not possible.

Along comes eGohot to 'save the day' by publishing the metldr key and creating the tools to be able to sign files for use on the PS3.... er, that was the point piracy became possible on the PS3 and George Hotz lost any legitimacy at "fighting for gamers rights"...... which he's fucked up royally, as all these cheating fucks can now ruin online gameplay.... and they have.

So I wonder which gamers rights he was fighting for, because it sure as fuck wasn't the MILLIONS of people that paid for their games and can no longer play online anymore for fear of having their stats and progress hacked to zero, or simply not be able to play a fair game anymore.

At the moment, its not looking too bright for Hotz, he didn't even have the brainpower to secure a defence other than "this court doesn't have the jurisdiction to hear this case" only for Judge Illston to rule the court did as his actions directly affected Sony in California, and George published his findings on Youtube and Twitter.... both based in California!

So i'd say Sonys case is incredibly strong.

I don't think they'll get very far with prosecuting Fail0verflow as they had actually stopped short of enabling piracy, but George was stupid enough to go that step further, and seemingly bask in the glory of it all and now he's paying the price for his arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
There is one already?

All firmwares up to 3.55 have been "hacked".
Thats lovely, but earlier firmwares have lots of features missing, hence why most of the major CFW installs are based around 3.55.

And currently there is no 100% working CFW working with 3.56, and even when they do achieve it, Sony will simply update to a new firmware which then makes 3.56 CFW redundant overnight.

I truely believe that the hackers totally underestimated Sony on this one.

Also, i'm certain theres more to update 3.56 than it appears

Last edited by TCD; 02 February 2011 at 10:41. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 02 February 2011, 10:45   #69
seuden
uber cool demi god

The question was "Will we see UAE on the PS3?" and the answer is yes, there is one already.

Quote:
Thats lovely, but earlier firmwares have lots of features missing, hence why most of the major CFW installs are based around 3.55.
Earlier firmwares also have features included that have been removed from later firmwares.

Quote:
And currently there is no 100% working CFW working with 3.56, and even when they do achieve it, Sony will simply update to a new firmware which then makes 3.56 CFW redundant overnight.
And? There will always be a cat and mouse situation.

Quote:
I truely believe that the hackers totally underestimated Sony on this one.
Probably, but it would also be stupid of Sony to underestimate the hackers.

Quote:
Also, i'm certain theres more to update 3.56 than it appears
Like a rootkit.
Old 02 February 2011, 10:57   #70
deicidal
Registered Insane

@Galahad

I could say that as it was before the ruling, I also said ealier that i reconned it go either way as well.

But yeh I agree Geohot took the hardwork of others one stage further and royally stuck his dick in the hornets nest.

I still stand by and think Sony's evidence is a bit shody but then again its Sony.

@Seuden

I also heard that they had thrown a rootkit in as well, that will prove to be interesting if they have considering the problems they had last time
Old 05 February 2011, 23:34   #71
Lernatix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole00 View Post
Back on topic...

Can confirm this working perfectly on KmeawCFW3.55.

Old 07 February 2011, 17:24   #72
MickJT

Sorry for the cross-posting. I was meant to post the message in this thread (one you're reading now) instead.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=735065&postcount=11
Old 08 February 2011, 00:53   #73
source
Zone Friend

I just don't know why sony would care for an amiga emulator to work on the ps3. It is not likely to be any credible threat to their profits. I think the whole idea of protecting the profits at the expense of the end user is borderline criminal. In Canada it was lawful to backup any thing you purchased ie game movie, music etc. someone can correct me, but I think it is leagal to down load music for free as long as you copy it over to a cd. blank cds are taxed for the purpose to pay the big guys a share even if you are using the disk just to back up persnal files on your computer
Old 08 February 2011, 11:04   #74
Dreedo

In Canada and possibly the US it might be legal, but generally i think its illegal to create 'copies' of your game, regardless if you own them or not. I heavily doubt its legal to download pirated music and then burn it to a CD and everythings okie dokey.

Sony have the right to ban us from PSN for any reason, whether what we're doing is lawful or not, they can ban us, if they don't like it.

Personally hacking the PS3 meant Linux/Homebrew, as it does for many people, i dont give a damn about pirating PS3 games. Don't even want any. You appreciate games a lot more if you buy them rather than download them.
Old 08 February 2011, 15:24   #75
source
Zone Friend

I am not big on the whole down load thing either. In canada they were even considering a tax on ipods and other mp3 players again to help finance the big companies for their losses with the download scene. making it legal for downloading songs. As for sony I was always a big fan of their products. I have 2 dvd players 1 52 inch lcd 1 53 inch rear projection (10 years old) 5.1 stereo and various walkmans cd mans etc. not to mention ps1, 2 and 3. I did buy a Sony dvd palyer once that would not play cdr discs. It was returned. As for the PS3 quality of the hardware is in question. My first ps3 died just after the warrenty. I had it replaced. I did have linux installed and all I did with it was play Amiga over my TV screen. they took that away back with 3.22. Now the slims do not play older games. The PS3 only does everything except for what it use to. I think that even if they would allow download from the PSN or the sony store some of these apps like the android, the console market would expand.
Old 11 February 2011, 22:48   #76
Bigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
Sorry for the cross-posting. I was meant to post the message in this thread (one you're reading now) instead.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=735065&postcount=11
Any update on this, MickJT?

Old 13 February 2011, 14:08   #77
MickJT

Still working on it. There's been changes to sound and prefs since 0.8.25. Easiest way to build it was to get SDL for psl1ght but it exits back to the XMB without showing anything.

I'll try adopting the current ps3 euae source to the 0.8.29 source but it's harder than I thought.

For what it's worth, compiling the source as is and running it works fine, so I know my compiling environment is OK.
Old 15 February 2011, 18:17   #78
MickJT

Progress update.

For those who don't know; I don't know C/C++, just AREXX. So being able to get up to this stage is a minor miracle. Fortunately I think I have pretty good intuition in problem solving and fitting pieces together (even without understanding it).

Comparing the differences in the original 0.8.25-20040302 (which the current PS3 port is based on) and 0.8.29-20070726 (which is the snapshot i'm using), I took hours just going through the code understanding the changes. Not actually understanding the code itself, but just how it differs. Like pattern spotting!

I've managed to merge in the PS3 specific code Ole wrote (i'm assuming), and modify it to work with 0.8.29.

Currently there's no sound, the colours are wrong (I think I know why), no HDD leds, but it does work.

So, now that i've got this far I hope I can continue further and get something in a releasable state. Unless someone who knows what they're doing can take over.
Old 15 February 2011, 20:40   #79
seuden
uber cool demi god

This is great news MickJT, does this mean you'll be able to implement HD support?
Old 16 February 2011, 05:36   #80
MickJT

I don't think i'll be able to do that. That'll be the last thing I look at. I assume you mean .hdf support? Even Picasso96 support is disabled (SDL is needed for that).

When I said "HDD LEDs" I meant the LEDs in general.

SCSI support will definitely not be enabled. That requires specific code for each OS. That means no CD32.

Savestates should work though.

Edit: Colours fixed. Sound working. Still no LEDs. Not ready for release, but will send to any regular members on here if they PM me. New members, I don't trust you not to release ;-)
Edit2: I believe I can add a load/save savestate to the virtual keyboard without too much fuss. If the L3/R3 buttons aren't being used, i'll see if I can utilise them instead.

Last edited by MickJT; 16 February 2011 at 07:54.