English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2021, 07:49   #1
guybrush

16 GB SD IDE drive with Pfs3AIO: partitions are 2.4 GB max

I am a bit confused here; I prepped a 16 GB SD card following this guide:
[ Show youtube player ]

I prepped the card on my A1200; used hdtool from the 3.1 installer disk, and downloaded the latest PFS3AIO version from Aminet on a floppy.

I created 4 partitions (a 450 mb for system, and 3 other partitions; could not tell their size since the tool show incorrect size). Then I installed PFS3 using the correct HEX ID; and changed all 4 drives with it, using the correct HEX for the max data transfer.

Rebooted my 1200 and all 4 partitions appeared as NODOS as expected. Formatted each one of them and copied classicWB on it. Rebooted and then replaced SCSI.device with the version for A1200 in the large drive 128 GB folder. Rebooted and sadly my 3 large drives show as 2.4 GB each.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to format these drives booting from 3.9 instead of 3.1, because hdtoolbox on 3.1 won't be able to format correctly the partitions? Or there is something else that I am missing? Thanks!
Old 06 June 2021, 11:20   #2
thomas

You need to install scsi.device first. Without the update scsi.device can only see 7.8 GB of the card. So you created a 450 MB and two 2500 MB partitions. The rest was not available at that time.

You can either reinstall the card with the updated scsi.device, but this will destroy what you already made.

Or you can run this with the updated scsi.device: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

It will make the additional space available to HDToolbox.
Old 07 June 2021, 00:57   #3
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You need to install scsi.device first. Without the update scsi.device can only see 7.8 GB of the card. So you created a 450 MB and two 2500 MB partitions. The rest was not available at that time.

You can either reinstall the card with the updated scsi.device, but this will destroy what you already made.

Or you can run this with the updated scsi.device: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

It will make the additional space available to HDToolbox.

So my mistake was to prep the drive with all the partitions before having the updated SCSI device?

I followed the instructions as in the video, so after wiping the SD card I used hdtoolbox to create all the partitions until the disk was full. Instead I shall create only one 500 mb partition; put the WB on it, patching the device in the DEVS folder, and then open again hdtoolbox to create the new partitions using PFS3?

I see you mentioning that I can just re-create those partitions; which is probably the way I will go. I didn't put anything on any partition except the 500 MB System partition; so nothing lost there

Thanks for the help! Going to try this now
Old 07 June 2021, 05:22   #4
guybrush

Thanks for your suggestions; I re-created the partitions but it didn't do anything sadly... They were still sized as about 2 GB each.

So I used fixhddsize, and that didn't fix the existing partitions but made my whole 16 gb card visible now; so I was able to create a 8 GB partition in it and format it successfully. Not sure why I can't get it to work like in the video but at this point I have my 16 GB card ready to go. Thanks!
Old 07 June 2021, 07:16   #5
croupier

Were you using the already saved drive in the HDTools? From the first set-up.

Try to 'delete/remove' the saved drive and 're-read' it again with the new scsi.device...probably HDTools still reads the old drive characteristics...
Old 07 June 2021, 07:26   #6
guybrush

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I created a "drive definition" by reading the info from the disk, before creating the partitions, and that was done before I did the update to the new scsi.device.

Now it make sense; the issue is not in the partition itself but in the disk definition. Glad that the app that Thomas linked, was able to resize everything on the fly!
Old 07 June 2021, 09:15   #7
Jope
-

Kinda sorta yes.. :-) The drive definitions in the list are just stored in a file called drive definitions on the disk you ran hdtoolbox from.

The actual geometry gets stored to the RDB and you can't actually edit that directly with hdtoolbox, unless you also stored it to drive definitions. Then again, just about any drive worth using these days can be auto detected, so it's not such a big problem.

Thomas' tool edits the geometry in the RDB to correspond to the real max LBA of the drive.
Old 07 June 2021, 14:19   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I created a "drive definition" by reading the info from the disk, before creating the partitions, and that was done before I did the update to the new scsi.device.

Now it make sense; the issue is not in the partition itself but in the disk definition. Glad that the app that Thomas linked, was able to resize everything on the fly!
Hi Ya in my old Video I done all the work from OS3.9 so my scsi.device was already updated, if I were to do the Video again I would mention that.

Thomas' fixhdd size tool is great I have used it so many times
Old 10 June 2021, 08:45   #9
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi Ya in my old Video I done all the work from OS3.9 so my scsi.device was already updated, if I were to do the Video again I would mention that.

Thomas' fixhdd size tool is great I have used it so many times

You cheated! just kidding

Maybe next time you make an update; would be great to start from "scratch"; I didn't even realize that you started with 3.9; so the HD setup is fundamentally different from the one using 3.1