English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 25 January 2022, 00:46   #1
graysters

Hello from Cambridge, UK!

Hello there!

Glad to have found this forum, here's my back story...

As a child of the 80's, I first came to the Amiga in the form of the Amiga 500 purchased by my parents in the early 90's as an upgrade from the Amstrad CPC 6128. Like many here, the impact the Amiga 500 had on me is hard to overestimate. Initially through gaming, a few favourites for me: Exile, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, F/A18 Interceptor, Bloodwych, Jetstrike, Paradroid90, The Settlers, and of course Lemmings... my word... Lemmings. I was obsessed with that game! My mum even knitted me Lemmings jumpers and a cuddly Lemming! Around the mid 90's my parents upgraded to an Amiga 4000/030, and my interests broadened into a world of creativity through video titling (Scala) Music composition (Octamed) and artistic endeavours (Deluxe Paint). Later in the 90's, alas, we moved onto PC's, and I embarked on an education and career in electronic engineering and microelectronic design/implementation no doubt heavily influenced by those interactions with the Amiga.

Sadly the Amiga systems of my parents didn't survive the various house moves, and so over the past years I have managed to acquire a few Amiga systems to scratch the recent Amiga itch, first a A500 (+512k, of course), followed by an A1200, and then I eventually managed to get my hands on a faulty A4000/40, which I managed to coax back to health.... read all about it here:

https://hackaday.io/project/180968-a...finding-repair

So what next?

I have a small project I'm hoping someone can help me with: I have a legally owned workbench disk that I'd like to restore from it's modified state to stock status, which I'll post about separately...

Following that, I'd like to expand my collection with an A1000 and an A2000. (Would love an A3000 and a A4000T, but one can dream, eh?), I enjoy the challenge of restoring otherwise dead machines, so even faulty machines would be great, if anyone is in the UK looking to sell !

Anyway, that's enough rambling!

Cheers,

Graham