English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 January 2022, 20:43   #1
Oriens

Real Time memory display

Just want to share a small change I've done to help me debugging my current game.
As an equivalent of good old "printf" I was looking for a real time display of some memory space, to help real time debug (see the value without stopping execution). I found nothing so I changed source code to display some memory on WinUAE hud.

At the bottom of screen I display 8 bytes, representing memory $100 to $107 (unused memory I think).
In my code, I can copy anything into that space and see them while running the game.
This helped me a lot debugging my game.

Last edited by Oriens; 08 January 2022 at 21:12.
Old 08 January 2022, 11:41   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That's an interesting idea, neat way to output data for debugging.
Old 08 January 2022, 12:11   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Looks useful in some situations. But $100 isn't unused enough for all purposes and adding special cases to Chip RAM accesses isn't optimal.

There is also following logging method which can be extended to also show values written to similar addresses (unused CIA space). I'll think about it.

From changelog:

Quote:
- New easy to use and transparent printf()-like debug logging method for developers: simply write parameters to address $bfff00 (byte, word and long accepted) one by one, then format string to $bfff04 (must be long) and formatted log message will appear in log window. Address may change, currently only active if 128k UAE boot rom mode is enabled and accepts only %d, %u, %x, %p, %s and %b (BSTR).
Quote:
- $bfff00 debug logging word/long behavior changed. Format string without %l (except pointers: %p, %s and %b) is now consided word even if long was written to $bfff00.
Quote:
- Added b1 debug logging format string flags and width specifier support (except floating point values). Alternate use mode implemented: write pointer to argument array to $BFFF08, then format string to $BFFF04. In this mode %d/%u/%x is assumed to be word wide, %ld/%lu/%lx long word wide (like exec/RawDoFmt). %c was missing.
Old 08 January 2022, 12:47   #4
Tomislav

Never assume that some part of memory is unused. Use AllocMem to allocate memory or reserve space in program. Eventually you can use AllocAbs which returns NULL if memory is already occupied or not enough memory.
Old 08 January 2022, 12:53   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
Never assume that some part of memory is unused. Use AllocMem to allocate memory or reserve space in program. Eventually you can use AllocAbs which returns NULL if memory is already occupied or not enough memory.
Everyone knows that but I think you missed the point. It is a debugging feature that should work even if you don't allocate anything. It should use address space that is never used.

You can't even allocate memory from $100 anyway. Or from CIA space
Old 08 January 2022, 21:10   #6
Oriens

Thanks for the feedback. I need to add that I mainly work for OCS machine and my game (or demo) are not using the system (boot and trackload).
This small hack is surely not suitable for all needs (but for me, it is realy convenient).
Old 08 January 2022, 21:12   #7
Oriens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Looks useful in some situations. But $100 isn't unused enough for all purposes and adding special cases to Chip RAM accesses isn't optimal.

There is also following logging method which can be extended to also show values written to similar addresses (unused CIA space). I'll think about it.

From changelog:
Thanks. I was not aware of these. I'll check.