English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 November 2011, 07:02   #21
Vollldo

@DaveMB
I did the same, i have about 1200 floppies now since a few months (it took me weeks to do this too) but contrarely to you, i will never use emulation to play, except to test files before transfering. I love to have my collection on floppies, it is a so special feeling .

I only use emulation for MamePlus for arcades, megadrive and snes games, but in command line only, i did special settings to launch everything automatically.

And Edi, welldone for your new acquisition ! .

Old 23 November 2011, 10:03   #22
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
True, it was technically just an Amiga 1200 with a CD drive, but that didn't stop me going into my local Rumbleows (whatever happened to them?) to gawp at it at every opportunity. After years of infuriating disk swapping on my Amiga 600 I was easily pleased.
A little OT but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumbelows
Old 23 November 2011, 19:57   #23
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Interesting, thanks. Not as OT as you might think I've just discovered...

Quote:
Some stores were sold to the German PC retail chain Escom. Escom itself subsequently folded in 1996 following financial difficulties.
Quote:
In 1995 Escom's retail presence on the high streets of the United Kingdom expanded massively when it took over many branches of the Rumbelows electrical chain, which were being sold off by Rumbelows owner Thorn EMI. Also in 1995 Escom bought Commodore International for US$14 million, primarily to get the Commodore brand name. It started using the Commodore name on computers sold in Europe, and established a separate division for Amiga-related technologies. The company grew too quickly, however, and lost 185 Million Deutschemarks that year. With no bailout from its shareholders, the company declared bankruptcy on 15 July 1996 and was liquidated.

The Commodore assets were purchased the following year by Tulip Computers, and the Amiga assets by Gateway.
It's like the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon all over again.
Old 30 March 2012, 07:14   #24
Edi (FZ2D)

I'm having problems with my Amiga CD32 and I am seriously considering getting rid of it.

For starters, my Darkseed does not fit the television screen and lock Roadkill on the scene in the opening FMV. I noticed that it tends to lock in scenes videos.

He shows great difficulty in running burning games.

And finally, I bought two games on eBay, Chuck Rock II and Microcosm, which he described in a good condition in the advert and photographs showing the same, but with this Microcosm manual slightly damaged and Chuck Rock II is so scratched that neither works . I contacted the seller but he aindanão replied.

Indeed, this console is giving me great disappointments rather than bring me happiness and bring others.

Please help me. Does my console have salvation.
Does this crash in the opening videos are a problem in laser console or because of your PAL-M region.
Old 30 March 2012, 08:16   #25
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe just try with different brand of CD-R and buy games only from EAB members. I bought used CD32 and I feel same magic as with my Amiga 500.
Old 30 March 2012, 11:53   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi (FZ2D) View Post
I'm having problems with my Amiga CD32 and I am seriously considering getting rid of it.

For starters, my Darkseed does not fit the television screen and lock Roadkill on the scene in the opening FMV. I noticed that it tends to lock in scenes videos.

He shows great difficulty in running burning games.

And finally, I bought two games on eBay, Chuck Rock II and Microcosm, which he described in a good condition in the advert and photographs showing the same, but with this Microcosm manual slightly damaged and Chuck Rock II is so scratched that neither works . I contacted the seller but he aindanão replied.

Indeed, this console is giving me great disappointments rather than bring me happiness and bring others.

Please help me. Does my console have salvation.
Does this crash in the opening videos are a problem in laser console or because of your PAL-M region.
How about trying WinUAE?
Old 30 March 2012, 15:18   #27
Amiga1992

WinUAE is teh best tool for my real Amigas. I could never stop using it./
I don't do any gaming on it at all though. I don't think I ever would unless I am on the road.

The CD32 is surely the finest gaming machine though. I love mine and I don't play games on my expanded A1200 anymore.
Old 30 March 2012, 16:59   #28
Edi (FZ2D)

The truth is I'm a compulsive buyer through. I feel a little remorse for buying this console.

Of all of my collection it is the weakest losing up to fun Atari Jaguar.

I read something about connecting a mouse to the console and enter the menu to change the region of the island. This information is correct?

Friends help me. I need to make this console actually works as it should be.
Old 30 March 2012, 17:09   #29
Amiga1992

Oh you bought a NTSC version? That sucks.

QUando vc liga o CD32, vocé tem que ter os dois botões do mouse apertados, então um menu vai aparecer. Daí vocé vai nas opções gráficas e da click a PAL. Mas algums jogos não vai rolar assim mesmo.

Tenta usar outra marca de CDR, a minha rola bom com Sony. Mas pode ser que o láser tá começando a quebrar ;(
Old 30 March 2012, 18:59   #30
mikele

that sucks, dude. Looks like you need to go back to using WinUAE.
Old 31 March 2012, 01:12   #31
Edi (FZ2D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Oh you bought a NTSC version? That sucks.
It looks worse than that. My Amiga CD32 version is PAL-M, officially launched in Brazil in 1994 through the medium of PCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
QUando vc liga o CD32, vocé tem que ter os dois botões do mouse apertados, então um menu vai aparecer. Daí vocé vai nas opções gráficas e da click a PAL. Mas algums jogos não vai rolar assim mesmo.

So to say that this information is true. Can I use a regular mouse to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
that sucks, dude. Looks like you need to go back to using WinUAE.
In fact, I used a few times and did not like WinUAE. Today, I dropped out of emulation than two years ago I started collecting video game consoles. I am an impulse buyer, and when I saw the announcement of the Amiga CD32 not restrain myself and ended up buying because it is very hard to see one for sale here.
Old 31 March 2012, 05:34   #32
AmigaWorld

Guess, nothing beats the real thing. P
Old 31 March 2012, 05:51   #33
Mnemesi

If things are really bad, you might try laser alignment:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/Pa...dex/index.html

Personally, I had luck using 'Verbatim Music CD-Rs' burned at the lowest speed on my CD32.
Old 31 March 2012, 08:45   #34
Graham Humphrey

Can we please make sure we stick to English only, thanks!
Old 02 April 2012, 10:09   #35
mikele

maybe you should buy a brand new laser model KSS-210ARP. Shouldn't be expensive, I've seen them lately priced 10 Euros or so.