Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 July 2017, 08:26   #881
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
h o l y
s h i t s ! ! ! !

Remember to change your WHDLoad executable to WHDLoadCD32 for better working on the console!

One question: if you power up with no IDE or the partition is not bootable, does it go to the regular Amiga CD32 screen to be able to boot from CD?

Well I need to make up a HD image. I'm using my A500 one at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2017, 09:09   #882
spudje

Quote:
Remember to change your WHDLoad executable to WHDLoadCD32 for better working on the console!?
Well I would even opt for those CD32Load slaves, they remove the flickering (amongst other stuff) that's also present in your video. With CD32Load you can give the argument IDEHD DISKUNIT=2 (replace 2 with a different number depending from which partition you run the slaves.)

My offer via PM still stands BTW.
Old 20 July 2017, 14:07   #883
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
EDIT: takes 20-30 mins to boot the first time.
???

Not seconds?
Old 20 July 2017, 14:58   #884
th4t1guy

Quote:
And how do you usually have this configured in your setup? Is your partition bootable? Or do you rather keep it non-bootable and boot via early startup menu?
I make the partition bootable. It will still boot cd32 games automatically, but since there's fastram and I'm on an NTSC machine, almost nothing works without some interaction.
Old 20 July 2017, 16:44   #885
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
I make the partition bootable. It will still boot cd32 games automatically, but since there's fastram and I'm on an NTSC machine, almost nothing works without some interaction.
I see, thanks! I'm just thinking what to do in the future since it seems my CD32 will have IDE soon too
I think I don't mind having a bootdisc, even having the partition auto-mounted would eat up some RAM. I can make it so the partition doesn't show up at all until I manually mount it. Such a bootdisc would take seconds to load, should be trivial.
Old 21 July 2017, 22:53   #886
matthey
Banned

Quote:
I think I don't mind having a bootdisc, even having the partition auto-mounted would eat up some RAM. I can make it so the partition doesn't show up at all until I manually mount it. Such a bootdisc would take seconds to load, should be trivial.
That's not very convenient. 8MB of memory is quite a bit for a retro Amiga game machine. I thought about telling plasmab that 2MB of SRAM would be enough for a fast ram performance boost, HD buffers and to compensate for the overhead of WHDLoad games (SRAM could have simplified and shrunk the board size?). Maybe you should have just pushed for the 68030 accelerator and 128MB of memory .
Old 21 July 2017, 23:09   #887
kipper2k

I think start simple and cheapo, an 8mb/ide board for cd32 would cost about $40 to build, once that is up and running then tackle the next level
Old 21 July 2017, 23:34   #888
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
2MB of SRAM would be enough for a fast ram performance boost, HD buffers and to compensate for the overhead of WHDLoad games
A lot of games would not fit in 2MB of fast. Anything that has more than 1 disk won't.
8 is the best compromise.
Old 22 July 2017, 00:18   #889
th4t1guy

Quote:
8 is the best compromise.
Sure, with 8mb fast I have no mem issues running WHDload. Currently have 2 4gb partitions with pfs3 and running ClassicWB3.1.

If this board can be made for $40, thats a great deal.
Old 22 July 2017, 08:34   #890
Amigajay

I don't think people stating it will cost $40 is very helpful since they aren't the ones designing and building them and deserve a little profit for their efforts, I would happily pay a lot more than that for people to build and populate one for people who don't have the skills.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:23   #891
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I don't think people stating it will cost $40 is very helpful since they aren't the ones designing and building them and deserve a little profit for their efforts, I would happily pay a lot more than that for people to build and populate one for people who don't have the skills.

No money for me thanks. Just be patient and respectful and it's all free.

Old 22 July 2017, 11:13   #892
pgovotsos

Quote:
And I wanted to say that your work on this and the other projects is fantastic and greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for pursuing this!
Old 22 July 2017, 11:57   #893
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
And I wanted to say that your work on this and the other projects is fantastic and greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for pursuing this!

Ram has taken me a bit longer than I hoped because I soldered the chips on backwards first time out

Old 22 July 2017, 12:38   #894
Amigajay

Quote:
I'm being perfectly respectful thanks, 'tis a shame certain other members don't respect us as customers, then butt in with random prices when good other folk are about to release CD32 add-ons, that's imo disrespectful.
Old 22 July 2017, 14:49   #895
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
I'm being perfectly respectful thanks, 'tis a shame certain other members don't respect us as customers, then butt in with random prices when good other folk are about to release CD32 add-ons, that's imo disrespectful.

?

EDIT: I think you are confusing cost with price. What people have said here is what it will COST to make one of my boards in parts. I am fine with that. What people decide to sell it for I will let the market decide. If anyone starts selling them for silly money i'll undercut them. Play sensible and everyone can win.

Last edited by plasmab; 22 July 2017 at 17:06.
Old 22 July 2017, 19:09   #896
kipper2k

Quote:
Can you explain what you are referring to ? it is a very vague statement, the cost price i was referring to is the price you would pay for parts as stated if you were to do the board yourself, i stated this so people have an idea of the cost so if someone offers them for sale you have an idea of the mark up and if you find the price agreeable then you buy, simple as that. No hidden agenda
Old 23 July 2017, 18:48   #897
plasmab
Banned

Ok. Basic RAM support is done. Refresh cycle left to do and caps. I've only soldered half the ram for now.

Old 23 July 2017, 22:31   #898
mattymuc

I see 4MB? I have thought that you have designed the board for 8MB?
Old 23 July 2017, 22:35   #899
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymuc View Post

I see 4MB? I have thought that you have designed the board for 8MB?
It literally says right above the image that i've only soldered half the RAM. Does nobody actually read or listen to anything i say ?
Old 23 July 2017, 22:39   #900
mattymuc

Sorry, my fault
The picture was too big to see the text