English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 08 September 2003, 06:57   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Frames

I'm just curious about something: anytime I bring up a game page at HOL, I try scrolling down with the mouse wheel, but the page is not activated, so I have to click into it first. It seems the top (invisible?) frame is the active window. Is there anyway to change this?
Old 08 September 2003, 07:02   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I just noticed, too, that while the gfx are loading on the page, even if I click into it, the page jumps the active page back to the other frame after all the pics have loaded.

It makes using keyboard shortcuts impossible for me. Even when I hit Z to go back to the previous (updates) screen, I am always forced to click into the other page. This sucks ass! This wasn't like this before.
Old 14 September 2003, 12:12   #3
RCK
Administrator

Re: Frames

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I'm just curious about something: anytime I bring up a game page at HOL, I try scrolling down with the mouse wheel, but the page is not activated, so I have to click into it first. It seems the top (invisible?) frame is the active window. Is there anyway to change this?
hein ?
there is no frames in HOL dude
Old 14 September 2003, 12:13   #4
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
This sucks ass! This wasn't like this before.
I don't think I have anything since dhtml popup
Old 17 September 2003, 05:28   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, I just went and tested it in Opera 7 to make sure before I responded. Go to a game page and while the images are loading, you can scroll down the page (ie, with scroll mouse). Once they have all loaded the page jumps back to the top and the scrollmouse (nor cursor keys) will no longer scroll down the page. You have to click into it in order to make that page active.

With IE, the scrolling can be achieved after the page is loaded, but it still jumps you back to the top of the page, even though you have scrolled down.

This didn't used to be the case with HOL. It is quite cumbersome to use HOL now (for me).
Old 17 September 2003, 08:24   #6
Mache

i am using ie6.0 on winxp right now:
while loading one can scroll using the mouse wheel
when loaded the page jumps back to the top, but mouse wheel is still active
Old 17 September 2003, 18:59   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Same here, but I don't use IE, so that's the prob. I don't think it should snap back to the top in the first place, regardless of browser. And if I have to use IE to view a site, I give up that site.
Old 17 September 2003, 20:09   #8
Bonovox

Im using opera 7 just visited the site while it does jump back to the top when the page finishes loading the mouse wheel is still active without having to click the screen.

Old 17 September 2003, 22:44   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I guess there's just no way to use Opera 6 anymore, which sucks! Opera 7 is just too bloated and ugly. How come these problems with the HOL page didn't exist a few weeks ago? And why is it neccesary that the page jump back to the top?
Old 17 September 2003, 23:13   #10
FromWithin
Music lord

The problem might well go away if the HTML errors were fixed. There are a few major ones.

And Bonovox: That is one Dead Goon of an avatar. Marvellous.
Old 18 September 2003, 00:16   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Errors??!! :eek RCK's henchmen will be paying you a visit shortly!
Old 18 September 2003, 00:59   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Arrow HTML Validator sucks!

On RCK's defence I think that HTML validator is a piece of crap - it can't tell the difference between an argument passed through in a HREF tag, complains about optional tags like topmargin, bitches about type everywhere etc etc... Throw it away!

Personally on Win2000 with IE5 I have no problems with HOL...
Old 18 September 2003, 01:30   #13
FromWithin
Music lord

Re: HTML Validator sucks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
On RCK's defence I think that HTML validator is a piece of crap - it can't tell the difference between an argument passed through in a HREF tag, complains about optional tags like topmargin, bitches about type everywhere etc etc... Throw it away!
It can't tell an argument in a HREF tag, but that's about the only thing wrong. The "optional" tags are not optional at all. They are not part of the standard. That's the whole point. It validates the page against the known standard. Browsers are forced to accept deprecated tags because pages do not adhere to the standard. It's a bad legacy from when Netscape and IE kept adding proprietary tags to out-do each other.

As it says on valet.htmlhelp.com: "When you publish an invalid webpage, you are relying on error correction in a browser to show your page at all! Another browser may display gibberish, or nothing at all.".

But this is getting off the point. Ignoring the deprecated tags, the page does have some major errors which could be causing the problem (a <form> tag between a <tr> and a <td>, for instance, and table element tags that are not closed). I'm not attacking RCK in anyway, just pointing out that these things could be the culprit.
Old 18 September 2003, 10:10   #14
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonovox
Im using opera 7 just visited the site while it does jump back to the top when the page finishes loading the mouse wheel is still active without having to click the screen.
Is the same as above quote with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030916 Firebird/0.6 StumbleUpon/1.73
Old 20 September 2003, 10:21   #15
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
OK, I just went and tested it in Opera 7 to make sure before I responded. Go to a game page and while the images are loading, you can scroll down the page (ie, with scroll mouse). Once they have all loaded the page jumps back to the top and the scrollmouse (nor cursor keys) will no longer scroll down the page. You have to click into it in order to make that page active.

With IE, the scrolling can be achieved after the page is loaded, but it still jumps you back to the top of the page, even though you have scrolled down.

This didn't used to be the case with HOL. It is quite cumbersome to use HOL now (for me).
oki I understood now.
this is the auto-focus function in the search box who is moving up your page !
I'll add a tag for this into the main page.
Old 20 September 2003, 10:24   #16
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
The problem might well go away if the HTML errors were fixed. There are a few major ones.

And Bonovox: That is one Dead Goon of an avatar. Marvellous.
lol, I don't trust in a cgi, and I never say this code was HTML 4.01 compatible. (3 transitional would be better)
Old 20 September 2003, 10:26   #17
RCK
Administrator

Re: Re: HTML Validator sucks!

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
It can't tell an argument in a HREF tag, but that's about the only thing wrong. The "optional" tags are not optional at all. They are not part of the standard. That's the whole point. It validates the page against the known standard. Browsers are forced to accept deprecated tags because pages do not adhere to the standard. It's a bad legacy from when Netscape and IE kept adding proprietary tags to out-do each other.

As it says on valet.htmlhelp.com: "When you publish an invalid webpage, you are relying on error correction in a browser to show your page at all! Another browser may display gibberish, or nothing at all.".

But this is getting off the point. Ignoring the deprecated tags, the page does have some major errors which could be causing the problem (a <form> tag between a <tr> and a <td>, for instance, and table element tags that are not closed). I'm not attacking RCK in anyway, just pointing out that these things could be the culprit.
the worst point by adding all those tags is the final page size.
using only the common html old standard is still the best way for retro-compatibility.